Bai Tho Mountain is a perfect vantage point that awaits you in the heart of Ha Long. Not only is it a natural observatory in the heart of Ha Long City, it is also a revered historical site that has witnessed all the city's ebbs and flows throughout the years. Let's explore the mountain to admire the picturesque beauty of Ha Long Bay from the "roof" of the city.
1. About Bai Tho Mountain Ha Long: Location, history
- Address: Hon Gai Ward, Ha Long City
Bai Tho Mountain (also known as Poem Mountain Vietnam), like many other natural wonders in Ha Long, was formed millions of years ago during the Devonian period. It had a watchtower situated at the peak of the mountain. On regular days, the watchtower served as a lighthouse. During wartime, guards would light fires as a signal for the capital when invaders came. The mountain played a critical role during the Vietnamese resistance against the Mongol Yuan Dynasty in 1288.
In 1468, King Le Thanh Tong visited the area and was inspired by the beauty of the mountain. To express his awe, he composed a poem that was later carved into the cliff face by his retainers. This led to the mountain being renamed Bai Tho, which means "poem". Later, Lord Trinh Cuong, a renowned poet, visited the mountain and also carved his own poem into the cliff. Over the years, many other visitors have left their own inscriptions here. To this day, there are nine poems written on the cliff.
Bai Tho Mountain also played a significant role during the resistance war against the U.S. troops, with an anti-aircraft guard station and an emergency basement located at the peak. Despite the potential erosion of the inscriptions due to natural influences, the historical and cultural significance of Bai Tho Mountain remains the same. It is now a popular destination for Quang Ninh tourism, attracting visitors from all over the world.
2. The best directions to reach Bai Tho Mountain
Nestled in the heart of Ha Long City, Bai Tho Mountain presents itself with little challenge in terms of accessibility. Upon your arrival in Ha Long, options such as renting a motorbike, taking a taxi, or hopping onto a motorbike taxi will easily lead you to your destination. If you want to drive yourself, simply follow these directions:
- From the center of Ha Long City, head towards National Road 18, cross Bai Chay Bridge and make your way to Dang Ba Hat Street, Ba Deo Street, and Le Thanh Tong Street. Continue straight until you arrive at Hang Noi Street, where you can take a break at Nam Phong Cafe.
- From Nam Phong Cafe, turn onto a small alley across the street and tread along the path that winds around the local houses until you reach the foot of the mountain. If the directions appear somewhat perplexing, do not hesitate to ask the welcoming locals.
- At the foot of the mountain, you can park your vehicle at a nearby stall or market, then meet the guard and follow their instructions to climb the mountain.
The path to Bai Tho Mountain peak is not too difficult. After climbing a flight of stairs, a trail leading to the summit awaits. A Bai Tho Mountain hike takes roughly 20 to 30 minutes. The fee to climb and see the mountain is a mere 10,000 VND per person, so you should prepare some small changes.
3. What to see on the peak of Bai Tho Mountain?
Bai Tho Mountain, an exquisite masterpiece of nature, overlooks the celebrated Ha Long Bay, a UNESCO-recognized world heritage site. Standing at the confluence of land and sea, the mountain seems to be divided into two parts. Its lofty summits, with treacherous cliffs and sheer drops, loom up against the sky, the highest one resembling a majestic spear pointing at the heavens.
At times, this remarkable mountain, depending on your angle of view, may appear to resemble a crouching tiger, a fierce lion, or even a flying dragon. Such distinctive characteristics have made Bai Tho Mountain a symbol of solemnity and reverence. Do not miss out on this magnificent sight during your Ha Long Bay tours.
3.1. The flagpole and historical stone stele
Ascending Bai Tho Mountain, you can see the majestic national flag of Vietnam, adorned in hues of red and yellow, fluttering gallantly atop the peak. This historic site once endured the ravaging strife of bombs and artillery shells during the valiant resistance war of Vietnam against the French. It is a symbol of the indomitable spirit, resilience, and sacrifices of the Ha Long people who dedicated themselves to the preservation of the country.
Another gem awaits you atop Bai Tho Mountain, which is a stone stele that records a part of the glorious history of the country. It attests to the unyielding days and nights of combat of Vietnamese people. On the mountain, you should definitely seize the opportunity to take a photo with this weathered stone stele and capture cherished memories.
3.2. The panoramic view of Ha Long Bay
From Bai Tho Mountain, visitors can take in the picturesque and panoramic view of the ethereal Ha Long Bay. The beauty of this place is like a charming painting, with its blue water imprinted with the clouds, the green mountains gently “rising”, and the large and small boats entering and leaving the bay. Enjoying the cool breeze and fresh air here will help you cast aside all your worries and anxieties.
3.3. The stunning sunrise and sunset
It would be a waste if you come to Bai Tho Mountain without watching the sunrise or sunset from its peak. From the mountain top, you will see the sun's gentle rays dancing on the surface of the sea, the distant mountains shimmering in the soft light. Especially during sunset, the golden and pink hues of the sky drape over the majestic natural landscape, creating a melancholic yet breathtakingly beautiful sight.
>>> Do not miss out on many other exciting things to do in Ha Long Bay!
4. The top tips for a perfect Bai Tho Mountain hike
Below are some noteworthy pointers that will ensure a smooth trip to the alluring Bai Tho Mountain:
- You should check the weather forecast before embarking on a journey to Bai Tho Mountain. In times of rain, the path leading to the mountaintop can be slippery, thus, it is advisable to refrain from climbing during such days.
- Optimal weather conditions for your excursion include a sun-kissed day with mild breezes and gentle sunlight. Avoid excursions during days when temperatures reach a sweltering 37°C (98.6°F).
- Bring your essentials (food, water, sunscreen, etc.), as they may not be readily available on the ascent to Bai Tho Mountain. On sunny days, it is recommended that you bring a hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, and insect repellent.
- Wear comfortable clothing and a sturdy pair of sneakers, avoid dresses, flip-flops, or high-heels, as some parts of the trail can be quite rugged.
- Consuming wild fruits on the path to the mountain peak is not allowed due to the inherent lack of guarantee for safety.
- For safety reasons, climbing the mountain should be done in groups, and solo excursions are highly inadvisable.
- Don’t litter and don’t carve on the stone stele.
5. Where to stay to explore Bai Tho Mountain with ease?
Apart from the magnificent Bai Tho Mountain, a plethora of other notable tourist hotspots in Ha Long await your exploration, such as Ti Top Beach, Bai Tu Long Bay, Tuan Chau Island, Long Tien Pagoda, and Quang Ninh Museum. These spectacular sites are well worth seeing, so make sure to add them to your list of places to visit near Ha Long Bay to enjoy a truly unforgettable experience.
Choosing a good place to stay will ensure an unforgettable escapade for tourists. Amongst many accommodation options in Ha Long, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long stands out as an impeccable choice. Located just a 16-minute drive away from Bai Tho Mountain, this luxurious oasis boasts opulent lodgings, classy facilities, and the awe-inspiring vistas of Ha Long.
Moreover, the resort offers a wide range of invigorating activities, such as swimming and partaking in an indulgent spa session. Endowed with a prime location and exceptional services, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long unquestionably merits the top spot on the list of accommodations for those yearning for an unparalleled sojourn in Ha Long.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long now and enjoy exclusive deals!
Bai Tho Mountain is definitely a worthwhile attraction on your trip. Hopefully, this article has provided you the necessary information to plan a suitable itinerary during your tour to Ha Long Bay. Countless wonders await, which will surely bring you many delightful memories to cherish.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long and make your trip to Ha Long Bay one for the books!