Long Son Pagoda in Vietnam with its impressive architecture will surely bring you special spiritual experiences. If you are looking for a detailed guide to this marvelous Nha Trang temple, read on for more useful information.
1. About Long Son Pagoda
Long Son Pagoda is situated at No. 22 on 23/10 Street, Phuong Son Ward, Nha Trang City, Khanh Hoa Province (at the foot of Trai Thuy Mountain). This area includes the Long Son pagoda below and the Hai Duc pagoda above - two of the city's most notable religious sites.
This Nha Trang pagoda was originally known as Dang Long Tu (Dang Long Pagoda). It was built in 1886 in another location under the supervision of Thich Ngo Chi (1856-1935), an abbot from Vinh Xuong, Khanh Hoa. After a devastating typhoon in 1900, the temple was severely damaged and had to be relocated to its current position. Long Son Pagoda was renamed and has become the headquarters of the Buddhist Association of Khanh Hoa Province since 1936. It was renovated and expanded again in 1940 before being destroyed in 1968 during the Vietnam War. Until now, Long Son Pagoda has been recognized as Vietnam's oldest temple after hundreds of years with several repairs.
To get to Long Son Pagoda, you can go by taxi or rent a motorbike. With a price of about 120,000 VND to 200,000 VND/day/motorbike, visitors can travel on their own and explore attractive tourist attractions nearby. Particularly, this place does not require a ticket and opening hours are not limited, therefore, travelers may visit the pagoda at any time.
2. Long Son Pagoda Nha Trang Vietnam highlights
2.1. The ancient pagoda with Asian architecture
Long Son Pagoda in Nha Trang has an area of more than 3000 square meters with impressively and meticulously unique architecture. The shades of the old tall trees harmonize with this architectural work, creating a fresh and peaceful atmosphere.
Every feature of this pagoda is designed in accordance with traditional Vietnamese architecture, Taoist architecture, and artistic sculptures of mythological creatures. Because it can hold hundreds of Buddhists and pilgrims to pray, the main hall also functions as a monastery. Many visitors and locals visit Long Son Pagoda on the first and fifteenth of the lunar month to worship, watch, or enjoy the tranquility in this pristine area.
2.2. The Marble Statue Of Buddha
On the journey to the summit of Trai Thuy hill, at the 44th step, you will see a marble statue of Buddha and a tableau depicting 49 of Buddha's pupils assembled on the day of Buddha's death.
2.3. Dai Hong Chung Bell
The second stop has a bell tower with a great bell of 1500 kilograms donated in 2002 by Hue Buddhists. The sound of a bell ringing in the middle of a large forest deepens every soul, making people indulge in the majestic and serene ambiance at Buddha's place.
You may also like:
- Female names in Vietnam: 100+ MOST popular names from A to X
- Seasons in Vietnam: Different features by region that you may not know
- Vietnam walking streets: 10 places to head to for a fantastic night out
2.4. The White Gautama Buddha Statue
After climbing 193 steps to the mountaintop, you will be able to see the giant white Buddha seated in the midst of the blue sky and white clouds, which is calm and impressive as an iconic symbol of Nha Trang. The statue stands out in the Long Son Pagoda area since it is situated on an enormous lotus.
At this ideal altitude, you can enjoy the entire gorgeous Nha Trang City, from the ocean and islands to the magnificent panorama of the mountains and forest. Ready to immerse yourself in the purity of mind and escape from the hustle and bustle of life.
>>> Don’t forget to book rooms in Vinpearl Nha Trang and enjoy an exciting vacation!
3. Nearby attractions of Long Son Pagoda
3.1. The Institute of Oceanography
- Address: No. 1, Cau Da, Tran Phu, Nha Trang City, Khanh Hoa Province
Nha Trang Oceanography Institute was chosen as one of ten distinctive cultural-historical destinations. The Institute of Oceanography is a museum that preserves and gathers about 20,000 specimens of 4,000 different marine species.
Coming here, you will be surprised by an enormous whale skeleton with a length of 28 meters, a height of up to 3 meters, and 48 vertebrae restored and maintained. Not only having a chance to visit experimental laboratories, tourists can also see many aquatic creatures and gain a lot of fascinating knowledge about the magical ocean.
3.2. Po Nagar Tower
- Address: 61 Hai Thang Tu Street, Vinh Phuoc, Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa
- Opening hours: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m
- Ticket fee: 21,000 VND/person/visit
Po Nagar Tower, which is located on a hill more than 50 meters above sea level, is divided into three sections: the Gate Tower, the Mandapa vestibule, and the Temple Tower. However, due to its course of history, Po Nagar Tower now only has 5 main works in the Mandapa area and the temple tower area.
The construction of Po Nagar Tower is impressive since each brick is tightly connected to another. Each tower has a distinct four-story design, and within each tower are several sculptures of majestic goddesses sculpted from marble and seated on lotus flowers. This is a truly one-of-a-kind artistic and architectural accomplishment by the ancient Cham people that should not be missed.
3.3. Tram Huong Tower
- Address: Tran Phu, Nha Trang City, Khanh Hoa Province
Tram Huong Tower has a stunning 6-story structure in the shape of a gorgeous 5-petal flower. The tower's first floor links to a large square, where locals and visitors come to have joy, snap photographs and enjoy the view of the ocean. At the base of the tower, there are five sculptures that represent the waves of the Nha Trang sea. The following four stories of the tower maintain and exhibit lovely and interesting photos of the local daily life. Furthermore, the tower displays an array of items, products, and models of exceedingly rare marine creatures and plants.
>>> Hundreds of vouchers, combos, and tours to Nha Trang are waiting for you! Explore now!
Articles for you:
- Bars Nha Trang: 15 chilling places to let your hair down with your besties
- Nha Trang weather in 2023: All you need to know for your trip
- Hon Mun Island: A must-visit destination on your trip to Nha Trang
4. Where to stay near Long Son Pagoda Nha Trang?
To fully enjoy a healing vacation, choosing a comfortable place to stay and relax is important. Travelers frequently prefer to stay at the center of Nha Trang city to easily visit interesting attractions such as Po Nagar Tower, Tram Huong Tower, or VinWonders Nha Trang with an array of exhilarating activities.
Vinpearl Beachfront Nha Trang is recommended for those who want to indulge themselves in the marvelous panoramic views of Nha Trang Bay with thoughtfully designed rooms, professional services and all-in-one experiences, from premium restaurants to vibrant shopping malls.
>>> Create your most memorable vacation by booking rooms at Vinpearl Nha Trang right away!
5. Things to remember when visiting Long Son Pagoda
To help you have a perfect trip to Long Son Pagoda, here are some useful tips:
- When going through Tam Quan gate to access the temple, you need to enter through the right entry and exit through the left entry, do not enter through the middle entry.
- When visiting the temple, you should dress formally and properly; certain shrines will require you to wear long pants to show respect.
- You should move and talk gently, do not make loud noises in the temple
- Since you need to leave your shoes outside the temples and shrines as well as to climb stairs, you should choose comfortable shoes.
- There are several Buddha statues in Long Son Pagoda, and you cannot touch or climb on them, nor should you ring the temple bell
- For the offering ceremony, you should prepare vegetarian food and follow the temple's instructions.
- Outside the temple, there is a large incense burner, you should burn the incense here instead of in the temple which will affect the air around the temple and the Buddha statue.
- From the highest point on the hill, you will be able to see the panoramic view of the entire poetic Nha Trang city and capture hundreds of beautiful pictures. However, if you intend to take photographs in the temple, you should be mindful about your poses.
When coming to Nha Trang, Long Son Pagoda is definitely a must-visit religious destination. This place will help you purify your soul, remove your worries and stressful thoughts and bring you inner peace. Immerse yourself in tranquility and escape from the bustle and hustle of life. Hopefully, this article has provided you with useful information for your upcoming exciting vacation.