Dong Ba Market is a vibrant marketplace situated in the city of Hue in Central Vietnam. It has been a significant part of the city since its establishment, selling everything from traditional Vietnamese clothing to souvenirs, exotic fruits and vegetables. It has also become a prominent tourist destination, with many visitors from around the world visiting to experience the colorful atmosphere.
1. About Dong Ba Market Hue Vietnam - one of the busiest markets in Hue
1.1. Brief history
Before the opening of Dong Ba Market, there was a grand market named Qui Gia Thi outside of Chanh Dong Gate during the reign of King Gia Long. The name Qui Gia Thi referred to the return of the Nguyen Dynasty to the city of Phu Xuan (presently known as Hue). Qui Gia Thi Market was burned to ashes during an attack on the capital in 1885. Two years later, King Dong Khanh rebuilt and renamed the market to “Dong Ba Market”. Since then, Hue Dong Ba Market has been a hub for local trade and has functioned as the main resource of food for the hospitals, royal families, army camps, dormitories of the national universities and the public. In the last year of the 19th century, Dong Ba Market was moved to its present location.
Stretching from Trang Tien Bridge to Gia Hoi Bridge, Dong Ba Market Hue stands along the north bank of Huong River, on Tran Hung Dao Street. If you set foot in Hue, make sure to visit this colorful marketplace!
Similar to most Vietnamese markets, Dong Ba Market is divided into different sections depending on the kinds of products. This Hue Market consists of 3 floors and in its center is located a so-called "bell tower," which is encompassed by various merchant stalls. Each floor is cleverly divided and has a wide range of merchandise.
- 1st Floor: The first floor of Dong Ba Market is a market for daily cooking ingredients and a plethora of delectable food of Central Vietnam! Exploring the premises of the first floor, you will find many specialities, such as fermented anchovy sauce, dozens of types of fresh fish, poultry and dried food!
- 2nd Floor: Proceeding to the colorful 2nd floor, exquisite handicrafts of Dong Ba Market will leave you stunned! Unique hand-made items such as conical hats from Phu Cam conical village, sophisticated ornaments from Ke Mon jewelry village, bamboo products of Bau La, Da Le, Phu Thu villages, and skillfully sculpted ceramics with a touch of ancient tones can make a wonderful present for your family and friends!
- 3rd Floor: Making your way to the 3rd floor, flamboyant stalls of fabrics and clothes will immediately catch your attention. From traditional yet distinctive styles of ao dai - a traditional Vietnamese dress, to casual pajamas, Dong Ba Market has it all! Be sure to purchase a memento of your visit to this gorgeous city!
1.4. Dong Ba Market opening hours
Dong Ba Market is open daily for 12 hours between 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM. It is busiest during the first two hours of the day, when local citizens swarm the place to buy daily fresh ingredients to start their day.
2. What to find on your day trip to Dong Ba Market Hue?
Being one of the biggest markets in Hue, you are assured to keep yourself entertained as well as be able to pick up delightful presents for your loved ones. Dong Ba Market’s enormous area of 15,600 square meters will keep you busy for several hours and is a fitting place not only to go on a shopping spree but to also enjoy a variety of delectable delicacies!
2.1. Various items to choose from for yourself and your beloved
As mentioned above (see 1.3. Structure of Dong Ba Market), on the 2nd floor, there are a great many well-crafted products, ranging from rustic conical hats to the elegant ao dai - a symbol of beauty and aesthetics of Vietnamese women. Selecting the perfect gift for your friends and family should not be a problem!
2.2. Plenty of mouth watering local foods to fill your stomach
If you want to enjoy the luscious cuisine of Hue at affordable prices, take notes right now because we will give you a list of the most toothsome dishes to fill your tummy with!
- Dong Ba Market bun bo Hue (30.000 - 50.000 VNĐ/ $1.5 - $2.5 per person)
- Clam rice (20.000 - 40.000 VNĐ/ $1 - $2 per person)
- Spring rolls with pork lemongrass skewer (40.000 - 55.000 VNĐ/ $2 - $2.5 per person)
Now onto something more sweet!
- Sweet soup (10.000 - 10.000 VNĐ/ $0.5 - $1 per person) - MUST TRY!
- Royal tea - a royal drink of the Nguyen kings. (50.000 - 70.000 VNĐ/ $2 - $3 per bag)
Snacks! Have something to munch on while you wander around!
- Dry food (5.000 - 100.000 VNĐ/ $0.2 - $5) depending on what you buy
3. An ultimate guide for your tour to Dong Ba Market Hue Vietnam
3.1. When is the best time to visit Dong Ba Market?
The best time to enjoy the market is after 3:00 PM as the weather becomes cooler and the lively marketplace quiets down.
Another reason why you should visit in the afternoon is because you don’t necessarily want to be the first person of the day to visit a stall. In Vietnamese customs, if the first customer of the day does not buy anything, he or she brings bad fortune to the shop for that day. You don’t want to be a black cat, do you?
3.2. How to get to Hue Dong Ba Market?
This enormous market in Hue is hard to miss, but in case you do miss it, you can always use Google or get Grab! Simply search for “Dong Ba Market” and voilá! You have arrived!
3.3. Where to stay to visit Dong Ba Market for convenience?
There are endless lodging options in Hue for tourists to choose from, ranging from budget motels to high-class hotels! However, it is common for many people to also visit the neighboring Hoi An and Da Nang while visiting Hue. If you are planning a longer trip to experience the brimming beauty of Central Vietnam, refer to Vinpearl Hoi An hotels and resorts for comfortable accommodation, excellent service, beautiful scenery and luxurious amenities!
>>> Combine culture exploration with entertainment! book rooms in Vinpearl Hoi An for magnificent views, and affordable prices!
3.4. What should you prepare for your trip to Market in Hue
- A comfortable pair of shoes to assure smoother and longer walks.
- Cash to enjoy the local dishes at food stands.
- A bag to keep your belongings safe as the Dong Ba Market is very crowded.
- An umbrella and/or sunscreen for sunny weather.
With its exceptional diversity, Dong Ba Market Hue is essential for the local daily life. The forever-bustling marketplace is also a great spot to enjoy Vietnamese cuisine and admire the conscientious people of the former capital city of Vietnam. The Central part of Vietnam is full of wonder, we hope the article above has provided a helpful insight regarding your trip to experience the magnificent Hue!
>>> Visit neighboring cities and create life lasting memories with your family and friends! Book rooms in Vinpearl Hoi An