Trang Tien Bridge is considered a symbol of the former imperial capital, imbued with the historical vicissitudes that have beset the nation. Moreover, it draws hordes of visitors to Hue with its beguiling and lyrical loveliness as it gracefully spans the meandering currents of the Perfume River, thereby attesting to its prominence as a captivating tourist destination.
1. Where is Trang Tien Bridge?
Trang Tien Bridge, renowned as Truong Tien Bridge or Thanh Thai Bridge, is situated in the heart of Hue city, spanning the illustrious Perfume River. The northern end is graced in the embrace of Phu Hoa Ward, while the southern end is welcomed by the warmth of Phu Hoi Ward.
This engineering marvel was the very first bridge in Indochina to be erected using pioneering techniques and materials procured from the Western world. The structure, forged from steel, boasts a grandiose length of 402.60 meters and is comprised of six majestic steel girder spans fashioned into the regal silhouette of a crown. Each magnificent span spans a remarkable 67 meters in width.
2. An overview of the history of Trang Tien Bridge Hue
According to recorded documents, Trang Tien Bridge Hue has undergone several name changes over its illustrious history. Herein lies a brief chronicle of these changes:
- August 1896: King Thanh Thai ordered the construction of a bridge spanning the Perfume River Hue.
- 1897: Construction of the bridge began.
- 1899: The bridge was completed and opened to the public, and was named Thanh Thai Bridge.
- 1919 - March 1945: The bridge was renamed Clémenceau, a tribute to a former French Prime Minister of the era.
- In 1945, under the administration of Tran Trong Kim, the bridge was rechristened Nguyen Hoang Bridge in honour of a nobleman who made significant contributions to the development of the Thuan Hoa region.
- After 1975, the bridge was officially named Truong Tien. Truong Tien Hue was derived from the common name used by the people, as there was a mint on the downstream side of the bridge during the Nguyen dynasty.
- From 1995 onwards, following restoration and repair, the construction team unilaterally changed the name from Truong Tien Bridge to Trang Tien Bridge, affixing a nameplate reading Trang Tien to the head of the bridge. However, the local authorities restored the name of the bridge to Truong Tien. Even so, both the names, Truong Tien and Trang Tien, have since coexisted, with the bridge having evolved into an attractive tourist destination in Hue.
3. What are the highlights of the architecture of Trang Tien Bridge?
Trang Tien Bridge is an exemplar of Gothic architecture, renowned throughout Europe. The materials and techniques utilized in its construction were imported entirely from the West.
Notably, it was the first bridge in the Indochina region to be built using Western engineering methods, a source of great pride for the people of Hue upon its completion. This majestic structure boasts a length of 402.6 meters, a height of 5.45 meters, and a width of 6 meters.
Visitors to this iconic landmark often hear the phrase "Trang Tien Bridge spans six sections with 12 pairs of arches," but in actuality, it comprises six steel girder sections and twelve arches joined in six pairs, with each section measuring 67 meters in length.
4. Things to do when coming to Trang Tien Bridge in Hue
Trang Tien Bridge Hue Vietnam bears witness not only to the passage of time as a historical monument but also offers an abundance of thrilling activities for visitors to partake in:
4.1. Stroll on the bridge and around the pedestrian street
The vibrant promenade and nocturnal marketplace nestled beneath the bridge's foundation offer a plethora of exhilarating exploits to be had. Exuding an aura of rustic elegance, this locale is teeming with vivacious energy, brimming with mementos and savory epicurean delights.
Thus, following your scenic journey and sauntering across the bridge, it would be remiss not to venture through the promenade's pedestrian district to savor the delectable cuisine and procure keepsakes for your loved ones.
4.2. Admire the beauty of Perfume River and Hue day and night
During the daylight hours, the sight of the elegantly arching bridge casting its reflection upon the tranquil Perfume River, in the company of the noiseless boats gracefully navigating across its waters, presents an exquisite tableau for the eyes to behold. The bridge's simple and subtly gentle beauty further captivates the hearts of visitors.
For those seeking to savor the dreamy panorama of Hue and indulge in unhurried moments of repose, Trang Tien Bridge stands as a matchless destination.
In 2002, Trang Tien Bridge underwent a modernization, in which an advanced color-changing light system was installed alongside the existing lighting system. This augmentation bestowed upon the bridge a fresh and scintillating aura every evening, imbuing it with irresistible magnetism.
Furthermore, nightfall bestows a splendid time to bask in the ethereal charm of Trang Tien Bridge, relish the refreshing atmosphere, marvel at the tranquil flow of Perfume River Hue, and listen to the resounding melodies of ca tru singing that emanate from the dragon boats.
4.3. Take a lot of gorgeous photos at Trang Tien Bridge
Trang Tien Bridge exudes an ancient, serene, and striking beauty, making it a picturesque backdrop for capturing stunning, Instagram-worthy shots. Do not miss the chance to take a leisurely stroll on the bridge and capture countless beautiful photographs. During your travel, be sure to add this activity to your list of things to do in Hue.
4.4. Visit other famous destinations near Trang Tien Bridge
Once you have savored the delights of Trang Tien Bridge, the epitome of fascination, you may embark on a quest to seek out and uncover additional nearby tourist destinations, thus adorning your journey with an array of indelible and cherished memories. Here are some other places to visit in Hue:
- Thien Mu Pagoda: This ethereal pagoda is deemed as the "soul" of Hue, perched on the serene Ha Khe Hill, situated a mere 5 kilometers away from the urban hub. With the Perfume River adorning its façade, and the picturesque terrain complementing its magnificence, Thien Mu Pagoda bears an incomparable grandeur.
- Hue Citadel: This site exudes a distinctive cultural, historical, and architectural elegance, characteristic of the Nguyen Dynasty, and thus earned the distinction of being a World Cultural Heritage site, as designated by UNESCO in 1993. Indeed, a visit to this awe-inspiring complex will provide a window into the life and work of the ancient royal court.
- Dong Ba Market: This is one of the largest traditional markets in Hue, which represents the lifestyle and daily activities of local people. Come and take a stroll around, try some delicious dishes, and buy some souvenirs for an even more enjoyable trip.
A multitude of other alluring tourist attractions in Hue Vietnam eagerly anticipate your discovery. Venture to the once imperial capital and relish in the captivating opportunity to delve into the rich history of the nation.
5. When and how should you get to Trang Tien Bridge Hue?
During the months of September to November, a veritable golden era beckons for the discerning traveler to embark on an enchanting sojourn to Hue. At this time, the former imperial capital experiences fewer downpours, the temperature is more moderate than the searing heat at year's end, and it is less chilly as well. As a result, visitors are free to amble along, basking in the serene beauty of Truong Tien Bridge Hue, poised gracefully over the tranquil Perfume River, while relishing the sublime delights of the region's cuisine at the nearby Dong Ba Market.
Furthermore, a visit to Trang Tien Bridge during the vivid blooming season of flamboyant flowers from May to July is equally ideal. Though the weather can be rather sweltering, one can indulge in the breathtaking sight of vibrant, flamboyant flowers, adorning the riverbanks in all their resplendent glory.
Trang Tien Bridge Hue is 850 meters away from the city center. To get to the bridge, you can either take Hung Vuong Street or Hoang Hoa Tham Street. Depending on the distance of your accommodation, you can either walk to the bridge or take a motorbike, taxi, or cyclo.
Don't miss the chance to maximize your Hue experience by venturing beyond the city and exploring neighboring destinations such as Hoi An and Da Nang. From the serene beauty of Hoi An's ancient town to the vibrant energy of Da Nang's bustling cityscape, you'll find an array of unforgettable experiences waiting to be discovered.
Additionally, your journey will become more complete and worthwhile when you enjoy the wonderful hotels and resorts of Vinpearl Hoi An and Vinpearl Da Nang. These sublime resorts will provide you with opulent abodes, along with the most expansive outdoor infinity pool in the city, awe-inspiring panoramas of the sea, and the splendid grandeur of the sunset. As such, indulging in an extraordinary stay at these resplendent sanctuaries for yourself or your cherished ones is an investment that unequivocally yields great returns.
Moreover, amidst the plethora of renowned tourist hotspots in Hue, Hoi An, and Da Nang, there is an alluring gem that awaits visitors to explore - the entertainment complex - VinWonders Nam Hoi An. With a one-of-a-kind concept, VinWonders Nam Hoi An is not merely a sanctuary of top-notch amusement but also a confluence of global and Vietnamese culture, architecture, and art.
>>> Book tickets of VinWonders Nam Hoi An to experience a trip that will be etched in your memory forever
Trang Tien Bridge is more than just a mere means of transit spanning the tranquil waters of the Perfume River. It is a structure imbued with its very own enchanting allure that draws in visitors with its distinctive and alluring features. As such, one simply must not pass up the chance to explore this famed bridge and bask in a plethora of unforgettable encounters.
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Hoi An, Nam Hoi An and take advantage of our exclusive offers!