Vong Canh Hill is always on the top of the bucket list for many tourists when they plan to visit Hue city, the former imperial citadel of Vietnam. If you want to enjoy the view of the whole city and the poetic Perfume River from above, don’t forget to pay a visit to this site!
1. Overview of Vong Canh Hill
Vong Canh Hill is near Huyen Tran Cong Chua Street, Thuy Bieu District. It is 7 kilometers away to the south of Hue city center, near Ngu Binh Mountain. With such a short distance, many visitors prefer to ride motorbikes to the site.
The name of Vong Canh Hill means a hill for sightseeing. It got this name due to the fact that many emperors of the Nguyen Dynasty used to come here for relaxing and sightseeing. Thus, numerous royal tombs from the Nguyen Dynasty were constructed in its vicinity.
The hill is 43 meters high, and the roads leading to the hill are smooth and covered by shades of pine trees. Wandering around Vong Canh Hill, you can see several historical bunkers, as the hill used to be a military base for the Americans and French during the Indochina Wars.
2. TOP 4 must-try activities in Vong Canh Hill Hue
2.1. Explore the timeless beauty of Vong Canh Hill
Vong Canh Hill is known as “the divine eye of Hue”. Here, tourists can take in the breathtaking view of the tranquil city and the scenic Perfume River below.
From the hill, Hue appears lyrical and poetic, with the sloping roofs of buildings, the undulating mountains, the green orchards, the nostalgic tombs, and the occasionally passing boats on the river.
The stunning scenery in Vong Canh Hill makes it ideal to take admirable photos and organize campings. You should bring food and drink if you plan to camp on the hill, and don’t forget to clear off the spot before leaving.
2.2. Admire the mesmerizing sunset
The sunset will enhance the beauty of Vong Canh Hill and make visitors jaw-dropped before the idyllic and lyrical view here. Around sunset, the golden sunlight from the setting sun seems to bathe the entire landscape. The last beam of the day gently lands on the leaves of the pine trees, marking the closing of a day.
At sunset, Perfume River is like a silk ribbon dwindling quietly next to the hill, glowing with a purple-blue hue, creating a romantic and peaceful atmosphere. This sight is a big reason why so many artists, authors, and musicians have come to the site to find inspiration for their works.
2.3. Take a food tour near Vong Canh Hill Hue
If you are looking for things to do in Hue, trying the local specialties is a great idea. You can find these dishes at restaurants or street vendors around the corner of the hill.
- Com hen is one of the most popular dishes in Hue. It includes various ingredients such as peanuts, fried pork rinds, rice, etc. The taste of com hen is a great combination of sourness, saltiness, and spiciness.
- Banh beo is another not-to-be-missed dish in Hue. It is a steamed rice cake made of fried pork rinds, dried shrimp, and scallions on top. Before munching banh beo, dip it into a fish sauce for a better taste.
- Banh nam is a steamed rice cake wrapped in banana leaves and stuffed with scallions and ground dried shrimp.
- Che Hue or Hue sweet soup is perfect if you have a sweet tooth. There are several types of che Hue made from different ingredients, such as lotus seeds, taro, logan, hyacinth beans, etc.
2.4. Visit nearby tourist attractions
There are many places to visit in Hue besides Vong Canh Hill. If you have the time, you should definitely go see some of the sites below:
- Hue Royal Tombs include several tombs, with the Mausoleum of Emperor Minh Mang, Tu Duc Tomb, and Khai Dinh Tomb being the most popular thanks to their good conditions and accessibility.
- Thien An Monastery, nestled in a pine forest, is about a 10-minute ride away from Vong Canh Hill. This site is perfect for those who want to explore the distinguished architecture, enjoy the fresh air, and find inner peace.
3. Frequently asked questions about traveling to Vong Canh Hill
3.1. How to get to Vong Canh Hill?
After arriving in Hue, you should check in at your hotel first, then rent a motorbike. From the center of Hue, ride along Hoai Thanh Street to Le Ngo Cat Street and turn right to Huyen Tran Cong Chua Street. Continue for 5 kilometers and you will reach the foot of the hill. Park your bike and just walk to the top.
3.2. When is the best time to visit the hill?
If you want to see Vong Canh Hill at its finest, you should come around sunrise or sunset. As the sun rises, the hazy clouds gradually disperse, and the view seems to take on a dazzling sheen. Meanwhile, the sky takes on a warm, golden hue as the sun sets. Sunlight filters softly through the pine tree foliage as the day ends.
3.3. Best accommodation for your vacation in Hue
If you want to visit the nearby Hoi An and Da Nang in addition to Hue, it is recommended that you book your accommodation at hotels and resorts such as Vinpearl Da Nang and Vinpearl Hoi An for both ease of transportation and an amazing vacation experience.
- Vinpearl Da Nang is the ideal spot for a relaxed holiday thanks to its neoclassical villas surrounded by a lake and verdant gardens.
- Vinpearl Hoi An is a group of two luxury resorts in Hoi An that provides guests with a wonderful blend of modern comforts and nostalgic allure.
While you are at Hoi An, you should check out the amusement park VinWonders Nam Hoi An. Here, you can immerse yourselves in traditional art shows such as Quan Ho singing, participate in some exhilarating games like Boomerang Slide, and more. All sorts of fascinating activities are waiting for you to discover at VinWonders Nam Hoi An!
>>> Book tickets of VinWonders Nam Hoi An now at bargain prices!
3.4 Essential Vong Canh Hill tips for first-timers
- The path to the hill is not too bumpy, but still mind your steps to avoid slips and falls
- Wear sneakers for mobility
- Bring sunscreen, mosquito repellents, food, and drink
- Fully charge your phone to take excellent photos and selfies
At Vong Canh Hill, both international and domestic tourists will be bathed in picturesque and poetic natural spectacles. Make sure you follow our tips and recommendations to have the best experience. If you are about to visit Hue, this tourist attraction will surely bring you a most memorable time.
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Hoi An, Nam Hoi An now for an unforgettable experience!