As you wander through the bustling streets of Can Tho, you might catch a glimpse of a towering pagoda peeking out from behind a row of storefronts. This is Quang Duc pagoda, a stunning example of traditional Vietnamese architecture and a testament to the country's rich cultural heritage. With its intricate carvings, vibrant colors, and peaceful atmosphere, Quang Duc pagoda is a must-see destination for anyone visiting Can Tho City.
1. Where is Quang Duc pagoda? How to get there?
- Location: No. 67, Mau Than Street, An Phu Ward, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho City.
The distance from Quang Duc pagoda to the center of Can Tho City is 2 kilometers. Taking a taxi costs you approximately 35,000 VND, whereas a motorbike taxi ride costs around 20,000 VND.
But if you’re traveling on your own vehicle, you can take this route: From the center of Can Tho City, head north to Phan Dinh Phung - Ngo Duc Ke - Nguyen An Ninh - Hoa Binh - 30/4 Street. It is recommended that you use Google Maps to help find the route, or feel free to ask any friendly local on the way. As you reach Trung Son Pharmacy, turn right and continue straight. You will see Quang Duc pagoda on the right side.
2. History of Quang Duc pagoda Can Tho
Quang Duc Pagoda was built in 1958 by Most Venerable Thich Buu Lai. The entire pagoda was renovated and rebuilt in 2006 with meticulous care and attention.
Today, Quang Duc pagoda is a sacred place where monks and nuns give teachings on Buddhist philosophy and practices. On special occasions like Buddha’s Birthday and Vietnamese Parents’ Day (Vu Lan), Quang Duc pagoda hosts traditional festivals and releases fish as part of a Buddhist tradition.
Visitors to Quang Duc pagoda can learn about Buddhist philosophy and history, pray for good luck and blessings, engage with the resident monks or nuns for spiritual guidance and discussions, and explore the architecture and artwork of the pagoda.
3. Explore the stunning architecture of Quang Duc pagoda Can Tho Vietnam
The unique architecture of Quang Duc Pagoda has impressed many tourists. In general, the pagoda has traditional architecture with the distinctive characteristics of Southern Vietnamese pagodas.
As you enter the pagoda, the very first thing that catches your eye is the prominent golden gate with the words "Quang Duc Pagoda" inscribed on it. Looking up, you will see a finely carved Chinese inscription of the pagoda's name on the top of the roof.
In the main hall, there are Buddha and dragon carvings with a golden inscription of "Quang Duc Pagoda" above them. Further inside is the altar of Amitabha Buddha, with a gold-plated sitting Buddha statue. There is also another altar of Amitabha Buddha and other Buddhas on the upper floor. Behind them is the altar of the Thousand-armed and Thousand-eyed Avalokiteshvara Buddha.
The pagoda's tower is located on the left side of the courtyard. Its architecture is similar to the main hall, with three different levels. The peak of the tower is adorned with a red tiled roof and a carved dragon shape.
In addition, visitors can admire the gold-plated mural of the Buddha's origin, the lotus flower behind the tower, and the poem about the Buddha's teachings translated from Archaic Chinese.
4. BEST tips for your first visit to Quang Duc Pagoda in Vietnam
Quang Duc pagoda is a place of worship, so there are some important notes you should keep in mind before visiting this pagoda:
- Dress appropriately: As with any religious site, it is best to wear clothes that cover your shoulders and knees. Avoid wearing revealing or tight-fitting clothing.
- Remove your shoes: Before entering any of the buildings, you will need to take off your shoes as a sign of respect.
- Show respect to the Buddha statue: It is important to show respect by not turning your back on it or climbing on it. Take off your hat and do not point your feet towards it.
- Keep your voice low and refrain from using your phone: Be mindful of the peaceful atmosphere in the pagoda and avoid loud talking or phone usage that may disturb others.
- Ask for permission before taking photos: Always ask for permission before taking photos and respect any rules or restrictions regarding photography.
While Quang Duc pagoda is a stunning spot for tourists seeking a spiritual and cultural experience, Can Tho City boasts an array of other alluring destinations waiting to be explored. During your time in Can Tho, you should arrange time to visit these places as well: Ninh Kieu wharf, Phat Hoc pagoda, Canton Assembly Hall of Can Tho, and Munirensay temple.
>>> Read more: An insider’s guide to Cai Rang Floating Market in Can Tho
Besides Can Tho, there is an abundance of captivating destinations in Vietnam, including the pearl island Phu Quoc, the charming Hoi An, and vibrant coastal cities like Nha Trang, Da Nang, and Ha Long. For each destination that you plan to visit, it is best to thoroughly plan and secure your lodgings in advance.
Regarding high-end accommodation, the Vinpearl hotel and resort system is a top-notch choice. This leading hospitality brand in Vietnam is renowned for its exceptional services and prime locations in the heart of popular tourist destinations. Besides an endless array of room and villa options, guests can access world-class amenities and services such as swimming pools, spas, private beaches, and on-site restaurants.
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc: Situated on one of the most enchanting islands in Vietnam, Vinpearl Phu Quoc boasts a vast expanse of amusement parks, entertainment, hotels, and resorts, all constructed to meet international standards.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang: Vinpearl Nha Trang boasts luxurious accommodations, fine dining, and an array of activities and entertainment options.
- Vinpearl Hoi An: At Vinpearl Hoi An, visitors are presented with an unrivaled resort that blends modern facilities with cultural heritage, making it a charming attraction on the Central Heritage Road.
- Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang: Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang offers guests the ideal environment to unwind and explore nearby popular destinations, such as the Marble Mountains or the ancient town of Hoi An.
- Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long: Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long is a luxurious retreat nestled in the heart of the breathtaking Ha Long Bay. The resort offers stunning views of the bay, coupled with world-class facilities and services.
Quang Duc Pagoda is a truly remarkable site that holds great significance not only for Buddhists in Vietnam but also for international tourists. Its iconic architecture, rich history, and peaceful ambiance make it a must-visit destination for anyone interested in Vietnamese culture and history. The pagoda's enduring legacy is a testament to the enduring power of faith and compassion. A visit to the Quang Duc Pagoda is a journey of the heart and mind and an opportunity to connect with the spiritual essence of Vietnam's rich and diverse cultural heritage.