A vacation to Phu Quoc island would not be complete without a visit to the Duong Dong market, which is known as the most attractive, dynamic, and crowded open market here. Coming to this location, travelers have an opportunity to taste numerous delicious dishes made from freshly-caught seafood and gain memorable experiences.
1. About Overview of Duong Dong Market
Established at 21 Tran Phu street, Duong Dong town, Duong Dong market features a wet zone closing to Duong Dong port. The location of 2,5 kilometers to the north of the town center allows Duong Dong market Phu Quoc to take advantage of transportation and even become the most dynamic market in Phu Quoc.
In the past, Duong Dong market was used to trade between merchants. Along with the development of the economy, Duong Dong market Phu Quoc gradually turn into an official market aiming to exchang goods, specifically seafoods such as barracuda, shellfish, and so on.
1.2. Opening hours
Duong Dong fish market is open every day, from 5 o’clock in the morning to 7 P.M. Tourists can freely choose a suitable time to reach this location and purchase their desired things.
However, according to local residents, it is advisory for travelers enjoying seafood to visit here at 6 and 7 o’clock. This is due to the fact that fishermen usually start their journey extremely early and return at 5 A.M with freshly-caught seafood.
1.3. Basic characteristics
There are many reasons why Duong Dong fish market is considered the busiest and most significant market in Phu Quoc island. It consistently ranks on the list of Phu Quoc’s tourist attractions and maintains its position despite the appearance of many newly-constructed entertainment venues.
The existence of laborious fishers and local sellers contributes to the development and reputation of the Duong Dong market. A wide range of products, ranging from food to items, provides buyers with numerous choices.
Another point worth mentioning is that those products are offered at extremely reasonable prices. Therefore, in case you have a relatively tight budget, put Duong Dong market on top of your list and visit it. Surely, you will be surprised by the cost of high-quality products here.
2. What to buy at Duong Dong Market Phu Quoc?
Like other traditional markets, Duong Dong night market is divided into stalls and areas offering various products. Tourists can select from fresh and dried seafood to daily consumer products, specialty dishes, and souvenirs.
2.1. Fresh seafood
One of the most excellent products to mention in the Duong Dong fish market would be fresh seafood. It is no exaggeration to say there is almost no kind of seafood that Duong Dong market does not offer.
Many visitors choose mackerel as the most must-buy item here. Typically, mackerel weighing from 3 to 4 kilograms would cost only 130,000 VND per kilo.
Besides, spider crab with the price of 250,000 VND per kilo is also famous here. Individuals having a chance to try it would not forget the unique taste. Another type of fish recommended by seasoned travelers is a herring fillet. Buyers will have to spend 100,000 VND for a kilogram of after-processed herring.
If you desire to try various types of seafood, Duong Dong market won’t let you down with squid, sea sharks, sea urchins, catfish, barracuda fish, octopus, etc.
Don’t worry when going shopping at this place as it is always more reasonable than other markets in Phu Quoc. What’s more, for those purchasing many products, the sellers will carefully pack and deliver goods to the destination as required.
2.2. Dried seafood
In case you want food that lasts long, consider dried seafood available inside Duong Dong market. Various kinds are presented here at lower than average prices. You could consider purchasing
dried shrimp, dried squid, dried flea fish, dried mackerel, dried lychee, and so on.
Besides, visitors typically purchase fish sauce, sim wine, or pepper as gifts for friends and relatives. It will be a mistake if you miss fish sauce since Phu Quoc is famous for its history of producing this type of Vietnamese sauce.
2.3. Specialty dishes
If you visit Phu Quoc island with the hope of tasting specialty dishes here, Duong Dong market won’t let you down as it gathers various types of favorite meals here. Every dishes that you can not try at local restaurants are available here. For example, it is recommended for tourists to try fish cake porridge, sam eggs, filter cake soup, vermicelli, etc
If your vacation is relatively short and you are confused with various recommended dishes at Duong Dong market, you can try some typical dish with the main ingredients of grilled fish, barracuda fish, and mackerel. As they are freshly caught and carefully cooked, you can taste extremely delicious meals. You can eat them separately or with side dishes like bread.
What’s more, make sure you don’t miss honey rice cake made from glutinous rice dyed with botanic leaf juice, green beans, and fatty meat, wrapped in honey leaves. The combination of different ingredients creates a unique and mouth-watering flavor for the cake.
The variety of models, colors, materials, prices also contribute to the attractiveness of Duong Dong Phu Quoc night market.
3. Travel guides to Duong Dong Market
Although the place itself is appealing with various features, visitors should also know the necessary information to achieve a wonderful vacation in the “pearl” island. Below illustrated four remarkable points worth considering:
3.1. How to get to Duong Dong Market Phu Quoc?
There are many ways to get to Duong Dong market. However, the first condition would be arriving in Phu Quoc island. To reach this location, you can choose a different mode of transportation such as airplanes, boats, etc., depending on your financial status.
If you have already been to the island, it would be easy to visit this location by using personal motorbikes or hiring cars.
Although there are many routes travelers can select to move to Duong Dong market, two ways below are highly recommended:
- Option 1: From the Duong Dong town center at Cach Mang Thang Tam street, go east to the end of the street and turn left on Tran Phu street to get to the market.
- Option 2: From the town center at the intersection between Cach Mang Thang Tam street, turn right on DT 45 Hung Vuong street and go to the end of Hung Vuong street. After that, turn right on Vo Van Kiet street. You must continue until the end of Vo Van Kiet street and turn left to Tran Phu Street. The market is right there.
3.2. When is the best time to visit Duong Dong Fish Market?
As mentioned before, Duong Dong market is open from 5 A.M to 7 P.M every day. Therefore, you can visit the place whenever it is suitable. However, according to residents, the best time to visit and shop at the market is early morning and late afternoon. At this moment, the market will actively operate, offering fresh food.
If you are curious about how traders work, you should visit this place before 5 A.M, when they prepare for the stalls and products.
3.3. Tips to buy fresh seafood at Duong Dong Phu Quoc Night Market
Summarizing from experienced visitors and local residents, above listed several remarkable tips you should note down to achieve benefits, including
- If possible, consider visiting Duong Dong market early in the morning or middle of the evening to get the freshest seafood.
- In case you have a tight budget and don’t want to spend an extra amount on seafood, you can ask several stalls or even local residents to select the best price.
- As a rule of thumb, the seafood stalls in the middle of the market will have lower prices. Hence, if you are in a hurry, simply choose those in the middle.
- Avoid buying goods from peddlers. Despite the lower price, they won’t offer utensils to pack goods for delivery.
- If buying goods in foam boxes, you should ask the shop owner to pack them carefully to avoid trouble during transportation, especially for those traveling by plane.
- As the market is normally crowded with sellers and buyers, wearing tight clothes and high heels would prevent you from enjoying the atmosphere here. Besides, dressing elegantly signals you are travelers, which makes you easy targets for robbers. Therefore, it is advisory for you to dress loosely, comfortably and choose sports shoes or sandals for convenience.
- Pay attention to carefully preserving assets, especially on weekends, this famous market is often crowded, so it is difficult to avoid pickpockets.
3.4. Where to stay near Duong Dong Night Market?
As Duong Dong market’s location in the center of Phu Quoc island is highly suitable for moving, numerous motels hotels are available for you to choose from. However, to complete your experience at Phu Quoc island, Vinpearl Phu Quoc is highly recommended. Established in the Bai Dai area, from Vinpearl Phu Quoc, visitors can easily reach other tourist attractions.
Specifically, tourists can choose from luxurious places as mentioned below:
- The Vinpearl Resort & Spa Phu Quoc is well-known for its private beach and the largest swimming pool on Phu Quoc island. With the primary aim to gratify its customers, the resort offers a variety of high-quality amenities, including spa treatments, beach BBQ dinners, and Pepper.
- VinHolidays Fiesta Phu Quoc is constructed with up to 687 rooms. This amount makes Vinholodays Fiesta Phu Quoc become an outstanding choice for families and groups of tourists. There is a great 800-square-meter outdoor pool outside the construction to entertain customers.
Duong Dong market in Phu Quoc island is a paradise for food lovers because of the wide variety of products available here. The appearance of freshly-collected seafood, well-processed dried food, and colorful souvenirs all together make this place attractive to visitors. Regardless of your specific circumstance, your vacation can be fulfilled if you are carefully prepared according to the information illustrated above. Besides, to achieve the best experience , remember to book places at Vinpearl hotels Phu Quoc.
>>> Numerous vouchers, combo, tour to Phu Quoc are available