As an exotic island in Kien Giang Province, Phu Quoc Island is crowded with tourists from all over the world who want to enjoy their dream-like vacations with their beloved. With the following interesting Phu Quoc travel guide, you will surely have to prepare your luggage to go to this beautiful island right away!
1. About Phu Quoc Island in Vietnam
Before traveling to Phu Quoc, the first and most important thing to do is read about the location and some outstanding features of this island:
1.1. Where is Phu Quoc Island?
Phu Quoc, situated in South Vietnam, stands out as the largest island in the country, nestled in the Gulf of Thailand. This remarkable island, along with the captivating Tho Chu Archipelago and a collection of charming neighboring islands, forms an exceptional cluster of tourist destinations within Kien Giang Province.
1.2. Why is Phu Quoc worth visiting?
The pearl island possesses a variety of beautiful beaches stretching from the North to the South. Ninety nine mountains, majestic hills and primeval forests with diverse flora and fauna feature the unique beauty of Phu Quoc Island.
Setting foot in the North of this island, you can have a chance to explore some famous destinations such as Rach Vem Fishing Village, Hon Mot Island, Long Beach, VinWonders Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc,... Meanwhile, in the South, the 12 islands of various sizes located in An Thoi Archipelago will be an ideal stopover for nature exploration activities.
2. How is Phu Quoc's weather? The best time to visit Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc's weather is cool all year round with two distinct seasons: the dry season and the rainy season.
2.1. The dry season
The dry season starts in November and ends in April. At that time, you can immerse yourself in the warm sunshine and cool seawater while sometimes chilling out with the light rain. Therefore, it is often considered the ideal time to enjoy the best moments in the pearl island.
2.2. The rainy season
The rainy season lasts from May to October. In this period, September and October witness the long and heavy rainfall. If you choose to travel to Phu Quoc Island in the rainy season, consider some destinations in the North of the Island like Long Beach or Xep Beach in the South.
3. The means of transportation for your Phu Quoc trip
To have the best trip ever, you should note some information related to the types of vehicles:
3.1. Going to Phu Quoc Island
There are 2 popular ways to go to Phu Quoc Island from other cities:
- By plane: Traveling by plane is the most convenient and time-saving because there are many big cities with direct flights to Phu Quoc. From Phu Quoc airport, it will take you around 20 minutes to go by car to the center of Duong Dong Town.
- By high-speed ferry: This type of transportation is suitable for those with a low budget. However, because the high-speed ferry will depart at a fixed schedule, you should get on board on time. Otherwise, you will need to wait for some time for the next ferry.
3.2. Getting around in Phu Quoc
To get around in Phu Quoc, you can choose from 3 options below:
- Renting a motorbike: Most Phu Quoc attractions are quite far apart. Therefore, it will be easier for you to go from one place to another if you rent a motorbike. The rental cost is quite low, from 120,000 VND/day to 150,000 VND/day, depending on the type of motorbike.
- Renting a car without driver: For families or groups of friends traveling to Phu Quoc, renting a car will make the journey more comfortable. The average price for this service ranges from 700,000/day to 1,300,000 VND/day.
- Taking a taxi: This is the most convenient option for Phu Quoc tourist groups of 2-3 people. With this option, the cost will be reduced because it is divided equally per capita. Normally, the taxi fare in Phu Quoc is about 12,000 - 20,000 VND/kilometer.
- Bringing your own vehicle to Phu Quoc Island: If you want to bring a personal motorbike to the island, you need to book for its transportation. It will cost you around 150,000 - 180,000 VND, depending on the type of motorbike.
You may also like:
- Vietnam capital: Things to know before your departure
- Green Sticky Rice (Com): An iconic food to enjoy the autumn vibe in Vietnam
- Female names in Vietnam: 100+ MOST popular names from A to X
4. The not-to-be-missed tourist attractions in Phu Quoc, Vietnam
Below are 10 famous Phu Quoc attractions that you should not miss during the trip to this island:
4.1. VinWonders Phu Quoc
VinWonders Phu Quoc is among the largest theme parks in Vietnam and one of the top-rated theme parks in Southeast Asia. It is located in Phu Quoc United Center - a super complex of resorts and entertainment at Long Beach.
With 6 subdivisions in 12 themes in an area of 46.7 hectares, it is considered one of the most attractive tourist destinations in Phu Quoc. There are a lot of exciting activities here which are suitable for a large number of tourists, especially children.
>>> Book tickets VinWonders Phu Quoc in advance to prepare for the best experience!
4.2. Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc
Recognized as the first semi-wildlife conservation area in Vietnam, Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc stretches over an area of 380 hectares with more than 150 species living here. Among them, there are some rare animals such as the South African rhinoceros, the Indian tigers, the Kenyan zebras,... In addition, you will have a chance to enjoy a lot of unique animal shows when visiting this place.
>>> Book combo VinWonders + Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc to get the best deals!
4.3. Grand World Phu Quoc
Grand World Phu Quoc is revered as the pinnacle of luxurious entertainment, unparalleled shopping experiences, and exquisite resort living on the enchanting Pearl Island. Spanning over an expansive 85-hectare landscape, Grand World offers a breathtaking array of 1001 opulent check-in points across four distinct zones: Square, Shanghai, Indochine, and Mallorca.
Immerse yourself in the awe-inspiring architecture inspired by the splendors of Europe, where vibrant commercial streets meticulously recreate renowned global entertainment hubs. Indulge in the culinary delights of the night market, where a myriad of international flavors awaits, inviting you to savor the world on your plate. Witness the grandeur of Vietnamese culture through magnificent festivals and captivating shows that showcase the rich heritage of this vibrant nation.
4.4. Phu Quoc Beaches
Phu Quoc, known as the "Pearl Island," is home to some of the most breathtaking beaches in Vietnam. Among its many beach gems, Ong Lang Beach, Starfish Beach, and Khem Beach stand out as exquisite coastal wonders. Ong Lang Beach enchants visitors with its tranquil atmosphere and soft, white sands, offering a serene escape for those seeking relaxation and rejuvenation. Starfish Beach, as the name suggests, captivates with its vibrant marine life and the opportunity to witness starfish scattered along the shoreline. This secluded beach is perfect for snorkeling and exploring the underwater wonders. Khem Beach, renowned for its pristine beauty, boasts crystal-clear turquoise waters and powdery sand that stretches for miles.
4.5. Phu Quoc Prison
Located at 350 Nguyen Van Cu, An Thoi Commune, Phu Quoc Prison used to be the place where prisoners of the Republic of Vietnam were kept. In 1995, the prison was recognized as a national historical relic and is now served as a tourist destination. Here, you will learn about the historical imprints of many heroes who underwent countless terrifying punishments.
4.6. Phu Quoc National Park
If you are a nature lover, Phu Quoc National Park is truly an ideally unparalleled destination to which you have to pay a visit. This place will bring you closer to nature while you lie back on the flat rocks and listen to the cheerful bird songs. All of these will promisingly be unforgettable moments for those who come to this paradise.
4.7. Ham Ninh Fishing Village
Ham Ninh Fishing Village is one of the highlights of Phu Quoc tourism as well as the main source of seafood for the locals. The wide and cool beach in the village provides an impressive background for young people to take photos. This is also a favorite destination for foodies with plenty of fresh seafood dishes.
Articles for you:
- Kien Giang Vietnam: A useful travel guide to what you need to know
- Phu Quoc Airport: Useful information for your flight to the pearl island
- How is Phu Quoc weather? When is the best time to visit Phu Quoc?
4.8. Phu Quoc Night Market
Your trip to the pearl island will not be complete if you do not visit Phu Quoc Night Market. Here, you can savor a lot of tasty dishes and immerse yourself in the hustle and bustle of Phu Quoc City at night. Also, you can buy cheap dried seafood at the market to give to your relatives after returning from your vacation.
>>> For more interesting activities, explore the top things to do in Phu Quoc now!
5. What are the top Phu Quoc specialties and recommended places to eat?
Here are top 5 Phu Quoc foods you should enjoy once:
5.1. Salad from herring
Salad from herring is a nutritious dish which is a harmonious combination of fresh fish meat and vegetables. The proper way to eat this dish is to spread the rice paper, layer it with raw vegetables and a few pieces of herring, then gently roll it up, dip it in the fish sauce and slowly enjoy it.
5.2. Ken noodles
The name of Ken noodles comes from the Khmer people, which means a dish made from coconut milk. It is rarely mentioned on the culinary map of Vietnam, however, many gourmet tourists will surely know this rustic dish in Phu Quoc Island.
To make this dish, people process barracuda or silverfish - 2 types of fish which are almost exclusively found in the pearl island. Thanks to that, it has a very unique flavor.
5.3. Grilled sea-urchin
Sea urchin is one of the famous Phu Quoc specialties and a must-try dish when you visit Phu Quoc night market. The people of Phu Quoc pearl island liken it to the ginseng of the sea because of not only its delicious taste but also its health benefits.
5.4. Steamed Ham Ninh crab
Ham Ninh crab has firm meat and a natural sweet taste. It can be processed into many delicious dishes such as crab porridge, crab hotpot, beer steamed crab,... The most popular dish made from Ham Ninh crab is probably the steamed crab. It is most delicious when being dipped with salt, pepper and a thin stream of lemon juice.
6. Where to stay in Phu Quoc Island? Tips for your accommodation booking
Phu Quoc Island accommodation is an extremely important factor which you should put into concern. There are many criteria for you to decide on where to stay in Phu Quoc Island. As an attractive tourist destination, it has many kinds of accommodation for you to choose from such as homestays, motels, hostels, Phu Quoc 5 star hotels, Phu Quoc 5 star resorts,...
However, you need to consider your hobbies, finances, companions and the purpose of your Phu Quoc trip to make a reasonable decision. Possessing a prime location at Long Beach with the pristine charm, Vinpearl Phu Quoc is one of the top choices of tourists who want to relax in a perfect way during their vacations.
Each hotel chain of the Vinpearl system has its own identity with outstanding features such as high-class spas and luxurious rooms. In particular, there is a huge infinity swimming pool with a view embracing the romantic coastline here. Therefore, it will meet all of your demands during the trip to Phu Quoc Island.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc to experience high-class tourism services!
You may also like:
- Vietnam walking streets: 10 places to head to for a fantastic night out
- Vietnamese Reunification Day: Date, History & Celebration Activities
- Vietnam money: The BEST guide for your cost-conscious trip
7. More recommendations for your travel to Phu Quoc
For more tips to enjoy a perfect trip to Phu Quoc Island, the information below will be helpful:
7.1. What should you prepare before and during the trip?
Here are what you should prepare for your excursion in Phu Quoc:
- Essential documents: You should bring your identity card for checking purposes at the airport or hotel, or buying tickets. Otherwise, you could get into some unexpected troubles.
- Cash: For convenience, in addition to ATM cards, you should also prepare some cash in your wallet in case of an emergency.
- Clothing: You should prepare suitable kinds of clothes for corresponding activities, such as swimsuits, lovely dresses, shorts,... They will be helpful if you want to take more photos.
- Other personal belongings: Depending on your needs, you should bring some other belongings like face masks, cameras, sunglasses, sunscreen, cosmetics,...
7.2. How much is the total travel expense for your reference?
According to Phu Quoc Island review by many tourists, all expenses for the trip to Phu Quoc include plane tickets, hotel fees, food costs, transportation and ticket prices, sightseeing fees,…
On average, the travel expense of a Phu Quoc tour for 3 days and 2 nights can range from 5,000,000 to 7,000,000 VND/person. Specifically, the plane ticket is about 1,000,000 - 3,000,000 VND/round trip, the hotel fee is about 1,700,000 - 4,000,000 VND/person, and the budget for eating is around 1,500,000 VND/person.
However, the cost of a Phu Quoc tour may vary depending on your specific schedule and the activities you participate in. Therefore, you can refer to the above estimated travel expense to make the best preparation for your trip.
7.3. How long should you stay at Phu Quoc Island?
The ideal duration for your stay in Phu Quoc depends on the type of experience you seek and the activities you wish to engage in. To fully immerse yourself in the island's serene beauty and explore its top attractions, a recommended minimum stay of 3-4 days is often suggested. This timeframe allows you to visit the pristine beaches, discover the vibrant underwater world while snorkeling or diving, and embark on excursions to scenic spots like Phu Quoc National Park and Phu Quoc Night Market. If you desire a more leisurely and relaxed vacation, extending your stay to 7 days or more enables you to truly unwind, indulge in spa treatments, and venture into the lesser-explored corners of the island.
7.4. What should you buy as gifts?
If you intend to buy gifts after completing your trip, here are some suggestions for you:
- Pearls: The top quality semi-artificial pearls in Phu Quoc Island are luxurious gifts that you should buy to give to the one you love.
- Kheo cake: It is a rustic cake made from flour and mixed with different types of fillings such as taro, green beans, coconut,... It has a sweet taste that you cannot forget.
- Dried seafood: Dried shrimp, dried squid, dried lychee, dried flea fish, dried mackerel, dried barracuda,... are Phu Quoc sea gifts recommended for you.
- Rose myrtle wine: It is famous for its medicinal effect on health such as treating aches and pains or assisting digestion.
- Phu Quoc fish sauce: Phu Quoc fish sauce has a characteristic flavor so it becomes one of the best gifts to bring home.
- Phu Quoc pepper: Thanks to the incomparable pungent and aromatic taste, Phu Quoc pepper is listed in the top choices for gifts that you should consider.
8. Which nearby destinations should you consider visiting while in Phu Quoc Island?
When visiting Phu Quoc Island, there are several nearby destinations worth exploring to enhance your overall experience. From bustling cities to coastal retreats, these places offer unique attractions and cultural highlights that complement your island getaway.
8.1. Can Tho
Located in the heart of the Mekong Delta, Can Tho Vietnam is a vibrant city known for its floating markets and picturesque waterways. Embark on a boat tour along the iconic Cai Rang Floating Market, where vendors sell an array of fresh produce and local delicacies. Don't miss the chance to visit the enchanting Bang Lang Stork Sanctuary, home to thousands of storks, herons, and other migratory birds.
Articles for you:
- 10 must-try Phu Quoc foods and 5 Phu Quoc restaurants recommended for you
- Phu Quoc motorbike rental: Guide to the excellent self-driving experience
- Phu Quoc Night Market – A true foodie’s paradise on Phu Quoc Island
8.2. Ho Chi Minh City
As Vietnam's largest city, Ho Chi Minh City, formerly known as Saigon, offers a captivating blend of rich history and modern dynamism. Immerse yourself in the bustling atmosphere of Ben Thanh Market, where you can shop for traditional crafts and sample delicious street food. Explore iconic landmarks like the Independence Palace and the Saigon War Remnants Museum to gain insights into the country's turbulent past.
8.3. Vung Tau
Nestled along the coastline, Vung Tau is a popular beach destination known for its golden sandy shores and panoramic views. Climb up to the top of Nui Nho Mountain for a breathtaking vista of the city and sea. Take a leisurely stroll along Back Beach or Front Beach, where you can relax, swim, or indulge in fresh seafood at local eateries.
8.4. Ca Mau
Situated at the southernmost tip of Vietnam, Ca Mau is a captivating province renowned for its unique mangrove forests and diverse wildlife. Explore the vast expanse of the UNESCO-listed Ca Mau Cape National Park, home to rare bird species and the famous Ca Mau Mangrove Biosphere Reserve. Discover the local way of life at traditional fishing villages, and savor the fresh seafood delicacies that the region is known for.
With the above Phu Quoc Island travel guide, are you ready to pack your suitcase and hit the road right now? To make the journey perfect in each moment, don't forget to book your tours in advance to get super preferential prices. Also, you should look for more information about Vinpearl Phu Quoc to be well-prepared for the trip. We hope you will have a good time with your family and friends in this wonderful island.