Phu Quoc tourism has been strongly invested in all aspects in recent years, from transportation infrastructure, accommodation, and landscape to travel routes,... All have turned Phu Quoc into one of the most famous tourist destinations in Vietnam.
The right time to visit Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc has two seasons: the rainy season and the dry season. To avoid persistent rains in the stormy season, you should not travel to Phu Quoc from June to October. The dry season, from November to April, is the most beautiful and the best time to pick up the suitcase and visit Phu Quoc.
To travel to Phu Quoc, there are many means to get around, depending on your departure point.
1. Traveling to Phu Quoc by air:
Air route is the most convenient, and especially with the new Phu Quoc airport opened in 2012. You can choose from big airlines such as Vietnam Airlines, Vietjet Air, Jetstar,... to fly to Phu Quoc. If you are flying from Hanoi, the fare will be about 3,600,000 VND, while flying from Ho Chi Minh City often costs from 1,200,000 VND to 2,000,000 VND.
2. Taking the high-speed train to Phu Quoc:
The starting point if you travel by speedboat will be from Rach Gia or Ha Tien, and the final destination is Ham Ninh or Da Chong. You can catch a car or bus from Ho Chi Minh City to Rach Gia or Ha Tien and then take a high-speed train to Phu Quoc. High-speed train tickets often cost about 200,000 - 330,000 VND for adults and 150,000 - 240,000 VND for children.
If you are afraid of booking issues or aren't so sure about choosing the right mode of transportation, book a Phu Quoc tour organized by travelling agencies to have a plan scheduled from A to Z.
What to bring when traveling to Phu Quoc?
For an enjoyable journey to Phu Quoc, you should not forget the following items:
- Medicines: common cold medicines, headache reliefs, abdominal pain reliefs, digestive enzymes, urgos, bandages, allergy medicines, burn first-aid,...
- UV protection clothing, hat, sunglasses,...
- Creams: sunscreen, mosquito repellent cream, lotion,...
In addition, please refer to the weather forecast to pack the most suitable and comfortable clothes to avoid carrying too many unnecessary items when traveling by plane!
Where to stay when traveling to Phu Quoc?
Depending on your financial condition, you can decide among different sorts of accommodation. If you have abundant financial resources and aim to experience a luxury resort, you can choose a hotel or Vinpearl Phu Quoc Resort, such as:
- Vinpearl Resort & Spa Phu Quoc: located in Bai Dai, Ganh Dau, Phu Quoc, Kien Giang province, with room rates from 2,000,000 VND or more, this is an Asian-style resort with a 3.5 kilometer private beach, the largest swimming pool on Phu Quoc Island of 4,864 square meters, and a spa system that follows the Mediterranean style - all of which shall bring peacefulness and pleasant vibes to enrich your vacation.
- Or book some other hotels & resorts, such as VinOasis Phu Quoc or Vinpearl Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Discovery Phu Quoc,... with similar prices.
Famous tourist destinations in Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc has countless gorgeous sceneries and top-tier services, from pristine beaches to diverse entertainment facilities. If you come to Phu Quoc, do not hesitate to visit the impressive destinations below:
1. Fingernail Island
This is an uninhabited island located in the south of Phu Quoc. Therefore, the island still retains its original beauty with clear blue water, white sand, and shady coconut palms. Here, you can freely camp, swim, or snorkel coral reefs.
2. Hon Thom
Hon Thom Island is an ideal place to watch corals or admire the aquaculture and local pearl farming regions of Phu Quoc. Besides, you can vist the island's well-known squid fishing village.
3. Ganh Dau Cape
This is a cape jutting out of the northwest of the island. Situated in Ganh Dau commune, about 15-20km north of Duong Dong town, from this cave visitors can see the maritime boundaries of Cambodia. The cave has a bow-shaped beach with a length of 500m. If you love new experiences, you definitely cannot miss this place.
4. Bai Khem, Ong Doi Cape
Ong Doi Cape is a land with two sides bordering the sea, allowing visitors to watch the sunset and sunrise at the same spot. Located right nearby is Khem beach, with mesmerizing white sand and cool turquoise water, which makes the place an ideal spot to have a wonderful vacation.
5. Bai Dai
Located in the northwest of the island, this beach is voted by BBC as one of the 10 most pristine and stunning beaches in the world. With a coastline of 1500m long, Bai Dai has an extremely poetic landscape and captivates any beach-loving soul.
6. Star Beach (Bai Sao)
This is also one of the most magnificent beaches in Phu Quoc, located above the Nam Dao tourist route, about 30km from Duong Dong town. Because this is a charming beach, it attracts many tourists; for the high season, you should get ready early to be able to enjoy Star Beach to the fullest.
7. Bai Truong
Bai Truong, which is located in Bao, Duong To, Phu Quoc, Kien Giang, is famous for its tranquil and peaceful beauty. This is also the most beautiful place to view the sunset on the island, especially when the sunlight sparkles on the sea's surface and creates a dreamy picture.
8. VinWonders and Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc
On the way wandering to the city center, you can also purchase tickets to VinWonders Phu Quoc, an amusement park with many subdivisions for you to explore:
- Aquarium: The Aquarium at VinWonders Phu Quoc has separate zones, such as the freshwater area, saltwater area, or reptile area. There are also several special shows for visitors to watch, including The Little Mermaid or Fish-Feeding program.
- Water Park: When coming to VinWonders Phu Quoc, you cannot miss out on the water park. This is a combination of beaches and a series of exciting underwater games such as Tornado, super-basin slide, multi-lane slide,...
- Outdoor playing area: the outdoor game area at VinWonders Phu Quoc has many unique thrilling games, such as flying saucers, super speed spinning discs and the giant Ferris wheel.
- Indoor playing area: the indoor recreational area also has many one-of-a-kind and diverse games such as 3D virtual world games, fairy gardens,... and a large 5D cinema system.
With the same system as VinWonders, there is Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc Wildlife Park located in the Northwest of Phu Quoc Island, with natural primitive forest to ensure that rare animals are cared for as well as preserved in open spaces and natural environment. It includes two main subdivisions that are the open zoo and the semi-wild area (Safari Park). These are the perfect conditions not only to immerse yourself in nature and wild animals but learn more about rare creatures in the world.
9. Rach Vem fishing village
Rach Vem fishing village is located in the north of the island, about 20km from Duong Dong town. This fishing village is quite small, and you can immerse yourself in the daily life of local people and their fishing activities, which bring a sense of both peace and excitement.
10. Dinh Cau Rock
Located 200m to the west of Duong Dong town on a rocky cliff reaching out to the sea, at the mouth of Duong Dong River, Dinh Cau has a lot of rocks with odd forms. From the beach, if you climb 30 stone steps, you will see "Thach Son Temple" - which honors the two deities (Cau Tai - red shirt, Cau Quy - blue shirt) and Princess Chua Ngoc. On the two sides, the two gods Ta Ban and Huu Ban are worshipped. Local people visit Dinh Cau to burn incense and pray for peace on every special occasion and on Lunar New Year.
11. Nguyen Trung Truc Temple
This temple, which is located 25km from Duong Dong in the direction of Ganh Dau, commemorates the hero who has made a significant contribution to the nation.
12. Coi Nguon Museum
This is the 9th private museum in Vietnam, located on Tran Hung Dao street, Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc. At present, Coi Nguon Museum is preserving more than 3,000 antiques, including 300 precious bibliographies about Phu Quoc written in Chinese, Vietnamese, English, and French characters. Besides, there are areas displaying driftwood handicrafts; sea snail handicraft areas; souvenir and pearl spots; stilt houses in rural Phu Quoc; Ridgeback dogs, seabird, and endangered sea eagle sanctuary.
13. Cay Dua Prison (Phu Quoc Prison)
If you love history, you can visit Cay Dua prison, otherwise known as Phu Quoc prison, to learn more about the Vietnam War 50 years ago.
14. Tranh Stream
Located on the Ham Ninh mountain range, northeast of Phu Quoc, Suoi Tranh consists of small streams, combined with flowers, mountains, forests, sea, and streams, creating an extremely stunning landscape.
15. Da Ban Stream
You just need to start from Duong Dong town, go back to the North of the Island, and follow the road with signs to reach Da Ban stream. This is a stream with large and flat rocks like a tabletop, so it is called Da Ban Stream.
16. Da Ngon Stream
Da Ngon Stream is located in the Northeast of Phu Quoc Island, including 7 waterfalls, creating a very majestic beauty. Because the rainy season is easy to slip, you should go to Da Ngon stream from November to April to visit and experience.
What to eat when traveling to Phu Quoc?
Phu Quoc is known as a culinary paradise with countless delicious and innovative dishes. Coming to Phu Quoc, you should not miss the following dishes:
- "Bun Quay" Kien Xay (stirred noodles): From Duong Dong market, go straight to Tran Phu street, pass Tran Phu - Cach Mang Thang 8 intersection about 500m, meet Gia An pharmacy, turn into the alley on the side of the pharmacy about 200m to reach Bun Quay Kien Xay restaurant. One of the interesting things about the restaurant is that customers will make their sauce according to their taste. In the kitchen, there will be salt, sugar, Phu Quoc pepper, monosodium glutamate, chili, and kumquat available for customers to take and taste.
- Phu Quoc Melaleuca Mushroom: In addition to seafood, you should taste Melaleuca mushroom dishes in Phu Quoc, with its characteristic bitter kick; however, the soup will be very sweet and fresh.
- Chicken slow-braised in green pepper: unlike ordinary steamed chicken, the chicken is slowly braised with Phu Quoc pepper - a prominent pepper type in this region. You will feel a refreshing pungent aroma with extremely soft and sweet steamed chicken meat.
- Phung fish cake soup: you should go to Phung restaurant near Dinh Cau, Duong Dong town because this is the most famous fish cake soup stall. The stall uses fresh mackerel caught by island fishermen, which creates extremely infatuated taste on the tip of the tongue.
- Ngan Ha Seafood: this is a very fresh seafood restaurant with a reasonable price with the same rate of 30,000 VND for all dishes, located on Tran Hung Dao street, opposite the Ngoc Hien pearl showroom.
- Huynh Nhu Nguyen Trai broken rice: the rice here is cooked & eaten with well-marinated meat; the owner is extremely hospitable, and thus makes the meal more delicious and loving.
What to buy as a sourvenir after travelling to Phu Quoc?
Phu Quoc has many different specialties. However, to bring back gifts, you should choose dry foods that can be stored for a long time without being spoiled, such as pepper, sim wine, fish sauce, pearls, dried seafood, or kheo cakes.
The above are all things to refer to in your Phu Quoc trip. Prepare well for a fulfilling and meaningful holiday!