Vietnamese Reunification Day is held annually on April 30, marking the liberation of South Vietnam and the unification of Vietnam. This momentous day holds immense historical significance for the Vietnamese people. A Vietnam travel during this time allows tourists to witness the fervor of the Vietnamese people celebrating their holiday.
1. When is Reunification Day in Vietnam?
Vietnamese Reunification Day is celebrated as a public holiday on April 30 every year.
It is noteworthy that if April 30 falls on the weekend, Vietnam will observe the holiday on the following weekday.
>>> If you are planning a trip to the S-shaped country, it is advisable to make your trip right on a Vietnam holiday!
2. The history and significance of Vietnamese reunification day
From late 1974 to early 1975, following victories in the Tay Nguyen and Hue-Da Nang campaigns, the Vietnamese Politburo made a decision to launch the Ho Chi Minh Campaign to liberate the South. Before Saigon, the Vietnamese army made an attack on Xuan Loc and Phan Rang, which were the main defensive lines protecting Saigon from the east.
On April 26, the Vietnamese army began to take the offensive and successfully advanced into the heart of Saigon. At 10:45 AM on April 30, Vietnamese tanks and infantry entered the Independence Palace. Duong Van Minh, who had just been elected as the president of South Vietnam on April 28, was forced to surrender unconditionally.
By 11:30 AM on the same day, the Vietnamese flag was raised over the Independence Palace, signifying the success of the historic Ho Chi Minh Campaign.
Vietnamese Reunification Day is a memorable milestone in the history of Vietnam's national liberation. The success of the Ho Chi Minh Campaign demonstrated the resilience of the Vietnamese people.
This marked the end of the 30-year fight for independence, unity, and liberation of Vietnam. For the first time in history, an economically-underdeveloped colonial country defeated an imperial nation.
The day of 30/4 in Vietnam also inspired and encouraged people in other colonial countries to fight against imperialism worldwide.
>>> Check out Vietnam where to go and Vietnam things to do for a well-planned trip!
3. How do people celebrate Vietnam’s Reunification Day?
Vietnamese Reunification Day is celebrated throughout the country with great enthusiasm and fervor, as it holds great cultural and historical significance for the Vietnamese people. On this occasion, both domestic and international offices are closed. All business activities in the city are temporarily suspended.
Vietnamese Reunification Day is marked by musical performances, mostly by historical songs that aim to remind the people of the past victories, of the resilience and perseverance of Vietnamese forces. On this day, the Vietnam flag is flown in front of every home, while the city streets are adorned with red banners and flags.
The combination of International Labor Day (May 1) and Vietnamese Reunification Day (April 30th) makes up a long holiday period. Especially in 2023, these holidays follow the Hung Kings' Commemoration Day. As a result, workers will have 5 days off (from April 29 to May 3).
During Vietnamese Reunification Day, most people tend to pick an ideal tourist destination away from the hustle and bustle of the city to unwind and spend time with their families and friends. If you are planning to travel during this time, here are some recommended destinations:
- Ha Long, located in Quang Ninh Province, is one of the top destinations in Vietnam. With a beautiful landscape of thousands of islands, it has been recognized by UNESCO as one of the top 7 natural wonders of the world.
- Hoi An is a picturesque place with centuries-old buildings, including houses, museums, and temples, making it the perfect spot for capturing breathtaking photos. A worth-visiting destination here is VinWonders Nam Hoi An, one of the largest entertainment complexes in Vietnam.
- Nha Trang is a paradise for beach lovers due to the variety of stunning natural landscapes here. This coastal city is also well known for delicious and affordable seafood. Visiting Nha Trang, it is highly recommended to make a trip to VinWonders Nha Trang, one of the largest amusement parks in Vietnam.
- Da Nang, located in the Central region of Vietnam, is a must-visit destination for tourists seeking a combination of stunning natural scenery and modern urban life. The city features breathtaking mountains and magnificent beaches.
- Phu Quoc Island, also known as the "pearl island", is a tropical paradise with stunning beaches and colorful coral reefs that are perfect for snorkeling and diving. Visitors can also explore popular attractions such as Rach Vem Fishing Village, Hon Mot Island, Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc, VinWonders Phu Quoc, and Grand World Phu Quoc.
It is important to plan your accommodation in advance to have a pleasant stay. Vinpearl, a well-reputed brand in hospitality, is known for luxurious services and facilities that ensure comfort and enjoyment for their guests. With a wide range of hotels and resorts located throughout the country, Vinpearl will surely bring you an unforgettable stay in Vietnam.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long for a comfortable stay during your trip!
Vietnamese Reunification Day marks a significant milestone in Vietnam's history and culture. On this day, various activities are held across the country, showcasing the pride and patriotism of the Vietnamese people. It will be perfect for visitors to take a trip to Vietnam during this period.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long to experience opulent services and facilities!
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang to grab the best offers!