If you are planning a Vietnam travel itinerary, consider timing your trip to coincide with the National Day in Vietnam. This important celebration honors Vietnam's independence and sovereignty, and offers a unique opportunity to experience the country's vibrant culture and patriotic spirit firsthand. From colorful parades, traditional performances to historical sites and iconic landmarks, there are many ways to immerse yourself on this occasion.
1. About the National Day in Vietnam
September 2 is known as the National Day in Vietnam, which is a significant annual holiday commemorating the day that President Ho Chi Minh read the Declaration of Independence at Ba Dinh Square, Hanoi.
On September 2, 1945, the Declaration of Independence was read aloud, marking the birth of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam and ending decades of French colonial rule. Originally, September 2 was called "Vietnam Independence Day," while August 19th was known as the National Day. In 1954, September 2 officially became the National Day in Vietnam.
It is also worth noting that President Ho Chi Minh passed away in Hanoi on September 2, 1969, at the age of 79. In order to avoid coinciding with the National Day at that time, his death was announced on September 3rd. It was not until 20 years later, on August 19th, 1989, that the Politburo officially announced that he passed away on September 2.
Today, the National Day in Vietnam is celebrated annually on September 2, with various events and activities taking place across the country. It is a time for Vietnamese people to come together and honor their rich history and culture, and to reaffirm their commitment to building a strong and prosperous nation.
The National Day in Vietnam marks the establishment of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, which is now the Socialist Republic of Vietnam. September 2, 1945, is considered a significant milestone in Vietnam's thousand-year journey to build and defend the country.
When the Declaration of Independence was read, it officially affirmed Vietnam's freedom and independence to the world. The Declaration of Independence opened a new era, allowing the Vietnamese people to hold their heads high, proud to be citizens of a free and independent country.
September 2 is an occasion for both people in Vietnam and those overseas to remember the great sacrifices of their forefathers. By remembering the difficult and heroic journey of their ancestors, the people will continue to build and protect their country.
>>> Read more: Vietnam holiday: What to know to have a well-planned trip!
2. What are popular activities on National Day in Vietnam?
On the National Day in Vietnam, the entire country is adorned with the national flags. To express their patriotism, Vietnamese people hang the flags outside their homes and businesses, and display posters of President Ho Chi Minh on city walls.
In addition to these displays of national pride, there are a variety of activities that take place to celebrate the occasion. Some of the most popular include:
- Parades and ceremonies: On the National Day, there are many activities that take place at Ba Dinh Square in Hanoi, such as parades, torch processions, national flag salutes, and other related activities by the army. Various businesses and organizations across Vietnam also host events to honor the country's heroic history.
- Fireworks displays: Many cities in Vietnam organize impressive fireworks displays to mark the occasion. These displays are often accompanied by music and are a popular way for people to celebrate the holiday.
- Visiting historical sites: The National Day in Vietnam is a great time to visit historical sites and landmarks throughout Vietnam. Many people choose to visit sites such as the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum to learn more about the country's past.
- Family gatherings: The National Day in Vietnam is also a time for families to come together and celebrate. Many people choose to have family gatherings and meals, often featuring traditional Vietnamese foods.
- Traveling: Some people choose to take advantage of the holiday and travel within Vietnam or abroad. This can be a great way to explore new places and experience different cultures.
3. Top 3 must-visit places when traveling to Vietnam during National Day
If you are traveling to Vietnam on the National Day, make sure to explore the country's rich history by visiting these top 3 must-see attractions:
3.1. Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum
Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, located in the middle of Ba Dinh Square in Hanoi, is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Vietnam, particularly on the National Day. It serves as the final resting place of Ho Chi Minh, the revolutionary leader who played a pivotal role in the country's independence movement.
During this time, the Mausoleum is decorated with flowers and flags, and many Vietnamese people come to pay their respects to their late leader. You can join the crowds to witness the solemn flag-raising ceremony, listen to patriotic songs, and see traditional performances. It is a unique opportunity to delve into Vietnamese culture and history and gain a better understanding of the country's fight for freedom and unity.
3.2. Hanoi Old Quarter
Hanoi Old Quarter is the cultural and historical heart of Hanoi, featuring narrow streets, old buildings, and busy markets. During the National Day in Vietnam, the Old Quarter is more lively with festive music, colorful decorations, and an energetic atmosphere. On your way to explore the streets, try the local street food, and look for souvenirs, you can see many traditional Vietnamese performances, such as lion and dragon dances. With excitement in the air, the Old Quarter is a fantastic place to experience Vietnamese culture and savor the festive vibe during this special day.
3.3. Independence Palace
The Independence Palace, also known as the Reunification Palace, is a historic landmark in Ho Chi Minh City that played a significant role in Vietnam's history. During the National Day in Vietnam, the palace is usually decorated with national flags and other patriotic decorations. Coming here, you can experience the festive atmosphere and learn about the country's independence and reunification through vivid photos and artifacts from the past. Special events and performances may also be held in the area to celebrate the occasion.
While you are in Vietnam, besides immersing yourself in the vibe of the National Day, don’t forget to take the time to contemplate the country’s natural beauty, including the tropical paradise of Phu Quoc, the coastal city of Nha Trang, the charming town of Hoi An, and the vibrant city of Da Nang, etc. To make the most of your trip, it is recommended that you plan ahead and select a suitable place to stay.
If you are still looking for accommodation, consider Vinpearl, a renowned brand in Vietnam thanks to exceptional hospitality. The luxurious rooms and extensive amenities, such as swimming pools, kids' playgrounds, babysitting services, dining options, bars, gyms, and more, will satisfy even the most demanding guests. Coming here, you can fully immerse yourself in the country's stunning landscape while enjoying Vinpearl’s all-inclusive services.
Vinpearl hotels and resorts are present in most of the country's popular tourist destinations, with some notable hotels and resorts including:
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc: Discover a collection of 4 deluxe beach resorts and hotels at Vinpearl Phu Quoc which offer easy access to the exciting attractions of VinWonders Phu Quoc and Vinpearl Safari.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang: Indulge in the beauty of Hon Tre Island with a range of hotels and resorts that feature stunning beaches, a golf course, an amusement park, and other exciting recreational amenities. You can also choose to stay at a Vinpearl hotel located on Tran Phu Street, the bustling heart of Nha Trang.
- Vinpearl Hoi An: Experience a luxury stay at Vinpearl Hoi An which offers exquisite accommodation, exceptional dining options, and a variety of cultural activities to keep you entertained.
- Vinpearl Da Nang: Enjoy tranquility amidst the hustle and bustle of Da Nang with a stay at Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, the perfect destination for those seeking a peaceful retreat.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Da Nang to treat yourself to a pleasant stay during your holiday!
The National Day in Vietnam offers a wonderful opportunity for travelers to immerse themselves in the lively and energetic atmosphere of the Vietnamese people. Whether you are a history enthusiast, a travel buff, or simply looking to learn more about the S-shaped country, this day has something to offer for everyone. If you are considering visiting Vietnam, why not plan your trip around this special day and experience a truly memorable vacation!
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Da Nang to pamper yourself with outstanding services!
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang to get the most out of your trip with incredible deals!