Vung Tau is a charming seaside destination that offers stunning tourist attractions, beautiful natural landscapes, and rich cultural heritage. It is an ideal place for travelers seeking relaxation, rejuvenation, and delectable seafood. Plus, its proximity to Ho Chi Minh City makes it an excellent choice for a quick and enjoyable getaway.
1. About Vung Tau Vietnam
Vung Tau is a city in Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province. Situated 95 kilometers away from Ho Chi Minh City, Vung Tau serves as a significant coastal gateway for the Southeast region of Vietnam. This vibrant city not only provides convenient access to the sea but also holds strategic importance in connecting the region with the maritime domain.
2. How is Vung Tau weather? The ideal time to visit Vung Tau
Vung Tau, blessed with a tropical monsoon climate, showcases two distinct seasons, characterized by varying weather patterns. The rainy season in Vung Tau spans from May to October, while the dry season lasts from November to April. Vung Tau temperature is around 27 degrees Celsius year-round, thus it enjoys consistently cool and pleasant weather throughout the year.
For beach lovers planning a visit, it is recommended to consider the period before and after the Tet holiday (Vietnamese Lunar New Year) for a relaxing seaside retreat. However, staying informed about the Vung Tau weather forecast is crucial to anticipate and avoid potential rainstorms, ensuring a delightful and enjoyable experience.
3. How to get to Vung Tau?
Vung Tau is conveniently located just over an hour's drive from Ho Chi Minh City. If you are traveling from the central or northern provinces, you can fly to Ho Chi Minh City and then continue your journey to Vung Tau.
Flight fares from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City range from VND 450,000 to 2,000,000, with a flight duration of approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. Afterward, you can take a shuttle bus provided by Vietjet Air from Tan Son Nhat Airport to Vung Tau for a fare of VND 100,000.
Alternatively, you have the option of flying to Con Dao Airport and then taking a boat from Ben Dam Port to Cat Lo Port in Vung Tau. The ticket prices for the boat ride are VND 85,000 per seat or VND 150,000 per bed.
3.2. Ho Chi Minh to Vung Tau bus
How to get to Vung Tau from Ho Chi Minh City? Rest assured, several bus companies, including Hoa Mai, Toan Thang, and Phuong Trang, operate the route from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau. You can catch these buses from their bus stations in District 1, with departures available every 30 minutes to an hour. The ticket prices range from VND 85,000 to 95,000.
3.3. Personal transportation
If you prefer to drive yourself, you can take Long Thanh Highway, then turn onto National Road 51 to reach Vung Tau.
4. Means of transportation in Vung Tau
There are various transportation options available for exploring Vung Tau:
- Bus: Vung Tau has a network of buses that operate within the city and throughout Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province. The bus fares typically range from VND 6,000 to 20,000.
- Taxi: Reputable taxi companies in Vung Tau include Mai Linh, Vinasun, and Petro. These companies provide reliable taxi services for convenient transportation.
- Motorbike/bicycle: If you want to get around on your own, you can rent a motorbike or bicycle to explore the city. Bicycle rentals are available at around VND 20,000 per hour, while motorbike rentals range from VND 120,000 to 200,000 per day. Many hotels offer Vung Tau motorbike rental services.
- Electric car: Electric car tours around Vung Tau typically last between 1.5 and 2 hours. Prices vary from VND 100,000 for a 3-seat car to VND 320,000 for a 13-seat car.
- Helicopter: For a luxurious experience and panoramic view of the coastal city, visitors can opt for helicopter tours in Vung Tau. Prices for helicopter trips range from USD 20 to 40, depending on the service and duration.
5. The best places to visit in Vung Tau
5.1. Vung Tau beaches
Vung Tau beaches, including Bai Truoc Beach and Bai Sau Beach, boast crystal-clear water, soft white sand, and gently swaying coconut trees.
Situated in the southern part of Vung Tau, Bai Sau Beach captivates visitors with its expansive stretch of flat sandy shoreline and picturesque clear seawater. Here, you will find a variety of food stalls, restaurants, and affordable services to enhance your beach experience.
On the other hand, Bai Truoc Beach tends to be less crowded during the daytime. However, as dusk descends, this beach transforms into a vibrant hub where tourists congregate for entertainment. The beach boasts numerous amusement parks, entertainment venues, and shopping areas.
5.2. Bach Dinh
- Location: 4 Tran Phu Street
- Ticket price: VND 15,000
Constructed between 1898 and 1902 under the directive of Paul Doumer, the Governor-General of Indochina, Bach Dinh (White Palace) holds a captivating history. Doumer personally named this magnificent structure, honoring his daughter.
5.3. Christ of Vung Tau Statue
- Location: Little Mountain, Vung Tau
The Christ of Vung Tau Statue is one of the most sought-after tourist attractions in Vung Tau. This awe-inspiring statue reigns supreme, reaching an impressive height of 170 meters. Ascending the 133 steps within the statue, you will find yourself standing on its shoulder, treated to a breathtaking panoramic vista of Vung Tau.
5.4. Ho May tourist area
- Location: 1A Tran Phu Street
- Ticket price: VND 400,000 for adults and 200,000 for children
Nestled within the captivating scenery of lush forests, meandering streams, and serene lakes, Ho May tourist area enthralls visitors with its vibrant allure. It also offers modern games, thrilling adventures, and exhilarating experiences tailored for the young at heart.
>>> Explore the most amazing things to do in Vung Tau for a flawless trip!
5.5. Hon Ba Island
- Location: Bai Sau Beach
Nestled humbly at the base of Nho Mountain, Hon Ba Island has emerged as a captivating new destination, seamlessly woven into the tapestry of Vung Tau's tourism offerings. What sets it apart is the rocky path to the island that unveils itself during low tide. Another gem of Hon Ba Island is its revered temple, a hallowed sanctuary offering a spiritual retreat for visitors seeking solace.
5.6. Thich Ca Phat Dai Pagoda
- Location: 608 Tran Phu Street
Standing tall at 19 meters, the octagonal tower of Thich Ca Phat Dai Pagoda houses many sacred Buddha relics. Here, there is a majestic statue of Shakyamuni Buddha gracefully sitting on a lotus platform. Unsurprisingly, Thich Ca Phat Dai has earned its reputation as the most renowned pagoda in this coastal city.
5.7. Vung Tau Lighthouse
- Location: On the top of Nho Mountain
Vung Tau Lighthouse stands as a remarkable testament to history, being the oldest among Vietnam's 79 lighthouses. As an iconic symbol of Vung Tau, this beacon was erected by the French in 1862, serving to guide and direct ships navigating through the waters.
5.8. Robert Taylor Museum of Worldwide Arms
- Location: 98 Tran Hung Dao Street
- Ticket price: VND 50,000 for locals, VND 100,000 for foreigners, and VND 25,000 for children from 6 to 11 years old
At Robert Taylor Museum of Worldwide Arms, nestled within a charming old French house in Vung Tau, you can marvel at a stunning collection of over 2,500 artifacts. The museum showcases a diverse array of weapons, military equipment, and uniforms from armies in the world throughout different eras.
5.9. Nghinh Phong Cape
- Location: Nghinh Phong Cape tourist area
Nghinh Phong Cape, a sweeping promontory extending into the sea at the southern tip of Vung Tau, beckons visitors with its breathtaking natural splendor. Nestled amidst a picturesque landscape, where the sea unfolds before you and the mountains stand behind, this idyllic haven offers a tranquil and untamed setting.
5.10. Vung Tau Marina
- Location: Dong Xuyen Industrial Park
- Ticket price: VND 20,000
Vung Tau Marina stands as the new gem of Vung Tau, captivating visitors with its picturesque location along the romantic Dinh River. Gazing out from this vibrant wharf, you will see the scenic beauty of Long Son Island and Go Gang Cave. Serving as an anchorage point for numerous yachts and cruise ships, the marina has become a sought-after destination for both domestic and foreign tourists.
>>> Read more: Vung Tau nightlife
6. What to eat in Vung Tau?
Visitors to the charming coastal city of Vung Tau have the opportunity to savor a wide array of local delicacies, including the renowned banh khot, salted egg yolk sponge cake, pufferfish hotpot, herring salad, and fresh seafood.
Among these culinary delights, banh khot stands as an iconic food in Vung Tau. These crispy and thin pancakes are deep-fried to perfection and served with shrimp and onion fat. To truly enjoy the exquisite banh khot, wrap them in fresh vegetables and savor them with a delectable fish sauce.
>>> Read more: Vietnamese food: The TOP 10 must-try dishes
7. Travel tips for Vung Tau
- To ensure a seamless trip, booking Vung Tau hotels in advance through reputable websites is advised.
- Carry a map to avoid getting lost. You can get one from the hotel reception.
- When you go shopping or travel around by motorbike taxis or cyclos, it is advised to ask about the prices in advance and negotiate carefully.
- During the rainy season, bring umbrellas or lightweight raincoats. Additionally, it is advised to pack sunglasses, sunscreen, and comfortable sports shoes to fully enjoy outdoor activities on hot sunny days.
- Check the weather forecast to avoid stormy weather or when the sea conditions are rough. Stay informed to ensure a safe and pleasant experience during your visit.
Besides Vung Tau, Vietnam boasts a plethora of other charming tourist destinations that will guarantee awe-inspiring experiences for travelers. From indulging in the pristine beaches of Phu Quoc and Da Nang, participating in the amazing water sports in Nha Trang, enjoying the idyllic atmosphere of Hoi An to cruising to Ha Long, Vietnam offers a diverse range of attractions that cater to every tourist's desires.
While you are embarking on your Vietnam travel adventure, it is strongly advised to choose the esteemed hotels and resorts of Vinpearl, the leading brand of accommodations in the country. Whether you desire a serene beachside escape, an immersive encounter with nature, a golfing excursion, or simply a cozy and pleasant stay, Vinpearl provides. At Vinpearl, indulgence awaits as you luxuriate in opulent accommodations, relish in delectable dining experiences, and enjoy exclusive amenities that will surely elevate your stay.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long to enjoy your holiday at some of the most alluring destinations in Vietnam!
Vung Tau stands as a captivating coastal city that offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, cultural richness, and seaside charm. From its pristine beaches and picturesque landscapes to its historical landmarks and delectable seafood, Vung Tau has something for every traveler. Whether you seek relaxation, exploration, or simply a refreshing getaway, this enchanting city is sure to leave you with lasting memories.