Before your Vietnam travel journey, you should know about the geographical position of Vietnam, its weather, culture, and people. Besides, having information on Vietnam money is also essential, so that you know how to plan and manage your budget. Different notes of Vietnamese currency bear different pictures of popular tourist destinations.
1. Things to know about the history of Vietnam money
The official Vietnam money, Vietnamese dong, was first created by the government of the Vietnam Democratic Republic in 1946 to replace the piastra of French Indochina. In 1975, after the fall of Saigon’s regime, the dong was also used in the southern region.
Nowadays, there are banknotes of 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, 10,000, 20,000, 50,000, 100,000, 200,000, and 500,000 Vietnamese dongs. On one side of the banknotes is the phrase “Socialist Republic of Vietnam”, the national emblem, and the portrait of President Ho Chi Minh. On the other side is a picture with the phrase “State Bank of Vietnam” on top.
2. Vietnam currency denominations: How much is Vietnam money worth?
Vietnamese banknotes are printed on cotton or polymer paper in different colours and sizes so as to be easily distinguished. Specifically:
2.1. Cotton banknotes
- VND1,000 banknote
- VND2,000 banknote
2.2. Polymer banknotes
3. Explore the pictures of famous attractions on Vietnam Dong banknotes
On each banknote, there is a picture of a famous tourist or historical destination in the country, representing the pride of the whole nation.
3.1. Japanese Bridge on the VND 20,000 banknote
On the VND20,000 note, there is a picture of the Japanese Bridge in Hoi An, Quang Nam Province. The bridge measures 18 metres in length, which crosses over a stream of Thu Bon River. It was built in the 17th century by Japanese merchants, made from wood, painted, and carved meticulously.
3.2. Nghenh Luong Temple on the VND50,000 banknote
On the VND50,000 note, there is a picture of Nghenh Luong Temple, an ancient structure in Hue. Located near Perfume River, the temple used to be the final resting place of the King.
3.3. Temple of Literature on the VND100,000 banknote
On the VND100,000 note, there is a picture of the Temple of Literature, which is a must-visit place in any Hanoi travel itinerary. It is the first university in Vietnam, dating back to as far as the 11th century. The place attracts thousands of tourists every year. It also hosts various cultural activities to honour talented people.
3.4. Halong Bay on the VND 200,000 banknote
On the VND200,000 note, there is a picture of Halong Bay, a famous tourist city in the north of Vietnam with thousands of karst islands emerging from the sea.
3.5. Lotus Village on the VND 500,000 banknote
On the VND500,000 note, there is a picture of a house in Lotus Village, Nghe An, the hometown of President Ho Chi Minh - a great leader of Vietnamese people. The 5-compartment house was where Ho Chi Minh spent his childhood. Now, it is used as a museum about the personal life and career of the late President and his family.
4. How much is $100 in Vietnam money currently?
Popular currencies, such as the Euro, US dollars, UK Pound, Japanese Yen, etc., can be exchanged basically anywhere in Vietnam.
- Banks: You can exchange currency at many banks in Vietnam, such as Vietcombank, Vietinbank, Agribank, Eximbank, etc. The process may take some time, and you will be charged a fee of between 0.5% to 2%.
- Hotels: You can also exchange currency in large reputable hotels, which will take no time. Still, the hotels may charge a service fee.
- Airports: You will find some currency exchange counters at the airports of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
- Gold and jewelry stores: You can go to some gold and jewellery stores to exchange currency, especially the stores in the Old Quarter of Hanoi or those behind Ben Thanh market in Ho Chi Minh City.
You can check the foreign exchange rate online. At the moment, a US$100 roughly equals VND 2,485,000.
Most touristy places provide foreign exchange services, such as Hanoi, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, etc. Before you come there, it is best that you plan where to stay in advance for the most convenience. It is highly recommended to choose the hotels and resorts of Vinpearl, which have prime locations, along with high-quality facilities and services.
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc: Located on Long Beach in the pearl island, Vinpearl resorts will promisingly satisfy even the most demanding guests.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang: The Vinpearl Nha Trang system has many resorts and hotels for you to choose from, namely Vinpearl Resort & Spa Nha Trang Bay, Vinpearl Luxury Nha Trang, Vinpearl Discovery Sealink Nha Trang, Vinpearl Discovery Golflink Nha Trang, Vinpearl Resort Nha Trang, and Vinpearl Condotel Beachfront Nha Trang. Their luxurious facilities and services will surely perfect your vacation in the coastal city.
- Vinpearl Hoi An: There are two Vinpearl resorts in Hoi An, namely Vinpearl Resort & Spa Hoi An Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An. Both have luxurious 5-star facilities and services, ideal for those seeking an ultimate relaxing holiday after long stressful working hours.
- Vinpearl Da Nang: Located on the beautiful Non Nuoc Beach, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang is a 5-star resort featuring neoclassical architecture and ecological premises.
There are many interesting things to know about Vietnam, especially regarding the country’s history, culture, people, and economy. Learning about Vietnam money will surely help you a lot on your upcoming Vietnam trip.