Airplanes are the fastest and most convenient means of transportation. Now, there are five airlines in Vietnam that operate both domestic and international flights. The number of routes and the frequency of domestic flights by these airlines have increased significantly over these years. Learn about them in advance so that you can pick the best airline for your upcoming Vietnam travel journey.
1. An overview of the system of airlines in Vietnam
Vietnam is the fastest-growing aviation market in Southeast Asia. According to the World Bank, air transportation and tourism in Vietnam now ranks first in Southeast Asia. To be specific, between 2016 and 2021, Vietnam has a compound growth rate of 17.4% compared to the ASEAN average of 6.1%. The 2016-2026 growth rate of Vietnam is forecasted to exceed 20%.
Another forecast from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) also expects airlines in Vietnam to have 150 million passengers by 2035.
Airlines in Vietnam include both domestic and international airlines. The number of routes and the frequency of flights have increased over the years, making Vietnam the world’s fifth fastest-growing aviation market.
Regarding airport in Vietnam, there are a total of 22 airports that serve civil flights, 10 of which are international airports. In the past, domestic transportation was mostly done by car and train. Today, flights between Vietnam's many big cities and famous tourist destinations take place on a daily basis, making traveling much easier for tourists.
>>> Read more: Vietnam where to go: The 10 HOTTEST destinations
2. The 5 biggest brands of domestic airlines in Vietnam
How many airlines in Vietnam? In total, there are five commercial airlines in Vietnam: Vietnam Airlines, VietJet Air, Bamboo Airways, Pacific Airlines, and Vietravel Airlines, with 226 aircraft. The 2021 Commercial Aviation Fleet & MRO forecast estimates that by 2030, the number of aircraft will reach 521.
Below is the brief information about the five airlines in Vietnam and an unbiased review of each one’s pros and cons.
2.1. Vietnam Airlines
2.1.1. About Vietnam Airlines
Among the list of best airlines in Vietnam, Vietnam Airlines (VNA), established in 1956, has always been the most outstanding name. It is renowned for offering customers exceptional services. This airline now operates flights to 19 cities and provinces all across Vietnam. There are also international flights to 42 destinations in the world.
As a national airline, it holds a 40% share of the domestic market. By 2030, the management expects to have 166 – 186 aircraft, an increase from its existing 95 aircraft.
2.1.2. Ticket classes
- Premium economy
2.1.3. Pros and cons
- Pros: high-quality services, little delays, and a wide range of utilities
- Cons: relatively high prices
2.2. Pacific Airlines
2.2.1. About Pacific Airlines in Vietnam - the first low-cost airline
Pacific Airlines, a low-cost subsidiary of Vietnam Airlines, is the second to mention in the list of airlines in Vietnam. Its former name is Jetstar Pacific. Founded in 1991, it was the pioneer in providing low-cost air tickets.
Pacific Airlines operates both domestic and international flights. The airline currently has 18 modern Airbus A320 aircraft, transporting tourists to famous domestic and international destinations.
2.2.2. Ticket classes
Unlike other airlines in Vietnam, Pacific Airlines only offer economy class tickets. This ticket class is further divided into four different sub-classes, with different terms and services:
- Super Lite
2.2.3. Pros and cons
- Pros: low prices
- Cons: fewer flights than other airlines in Vietnam, somewhat frequent delays
2.3. Vietjet Air
2.3.1. About VietJet Air
Vietjet Air is the first privately owned airline in Vietnam. Accounting for 34% of the market share, this low-cost airline is proudly one of the best airlines of Vietnam with the most modern aircraft. Currently, Vietjet Air has 77 Airbus A320 and Airbus A321 planes.
Vietjet operates tens of domestic flight routes to different cities and provinces throughout the country. It has international flights to famous destinations around the world, also.
2.3.2. Ticket classes
2.3.3. Pros and cons
- Pros: lowest prices among airlines in Vietnam, with a lot of promotions and discounts
- Cons: somewhat frequent flight delays and cancellations
2.4. Bamboo Airways
2.4.1. About Bamboo Airways
This is the second youngest but the most dynamic among the airlines in Vietnam. With its first flight in 2018, Bamboo Airways mainly operates domestic flights to big cities and popular tourist destinations in Vietnam. It now has 30 aircraft, including Airbus A321neo and Boeing 787–9 Dreamliner.
2.4.2. Ticket classes
- Bamboo Business
- Bamboo Plus
- Bamboo Eco
2.4.3. Pros and cons
- Pros: brand-new and modern planes, punctuality, and affordability
- Cons: limited routes and flights
2.5. Vietravel Airlines - the youngest travel airline in Vietnam
2.5.1. About Vietravel Airlines
As the newest member among the five airlines in Vietnam, Vietravel Airlines is a subsidiary of Vietravel Group - the largest tour operator in this country. Vietravel Airlines launched its first commercial flight in January 2021. Currently, it only has 3 Airbus A321S planes. Vietravel Airlines mainly operate charter flights to take their customers to Vietnam's famous destinations.
2.5.2. Ticket classes
For Vietravel Airlines, there is only one type of ticket (Economy). You can purchase additional services such as seat selection, check-in priority, more luggage weight, lounge access, etc.
2.5.3. Pros and cons
- Pros: professional services, new planes, reasonable prices
- Cons: limited routes
Apart from the above-mentioned domestic airlines in Vietnam, there are many international airlines operating flights from and to airports in Vietnam. Some notable airlines are Singapore Airlines in Vietnam, Asiana Airlines, Turkish Airlines, American Airlines, Emirates Airlines, etc. These renowned international brands have flights to big Vietnam airports, which are near many top attractions such as Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Phu Quoc, etc.
If you are heading to these places, it is necessary to find a good place to stay. In case you do not know where to stay in Vietnam during your trip, consider the system of luxury hotels and resorts of Vinpearl - Vietnam’s leading hospitality brand. Some notable branches of Vinpearl in Vietnam are:
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc: Nestled along the white sandy Bai Dai Beach, Vinpearl Phu Quoc is a resort complex, including Vinpearl Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Discovery Wonderworld Phu Quoc, VinOasis Phu Quoc, and VinHolidays Fiesta Phu Quoc. It is one of the best places to spend your luxury trip in Phu Quoc, thanks to not only its first-class rooms and services but also the prime locations near the island’s famous tourist attractions, such as VinWonders, Vinpearl Safari, and Grand World Phu Quoc.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang: This is a series of top-class hotels and resorts in Nha Trang - Vietnam’s beach paradise. Some properties of Vinpearl in Nha Trang are Vinpearl Condotel Beachfront Nha Trang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Nha Trang Bay, Vinpearl Resort Nha Trang, Vinpearl Luxury Nha Trang, Vinpearl Discovery Sealink Nha Trang, and Vinpearl Discovery Golflink Nha Trang.
- Vinpearl Hoi An: There are two branches of Vinpearl in Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Hoi An and Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An. Situated along the breathtaking coastline, these two lavish resorts are the ideal places to enjoy a leisure stay in the ancient town.
- Vinpearl Da Nang: Located near Non Nuoc Beach - one of the world’s best beaches - Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang is a luxury resort with 122 villas of neoclassical vibe. It is a wonderful choice of accommodation if travelers want to enjoy a luxury stay near Da Nang and Hoi An’s famous attractions.
Airlines in Vietnam have made traveling within the country much easier than in the past. Hopefully, the review of airlines in Vietnam above will give you a great insight regarding the airlines so that you can choose the best one for your Vietnam tour.