Although not as large and famous as Dong Xuan Market, Hang Da Market is still a top place for shopping in Hanoi. Once a small market, this place is now a three-storey shopping mall in the heart of Hanoi that provides a wide variety of products, from specialties, clothes, and jewelry, to food. It is undoubtedly a worth-visiting attraction for your Hanoi travel journey.
1. Hang Da Market Hanoi Vietnam at a glance
- Address: 01 Hang Da Street, Hanoi Old Quarter
- Opening hours: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM every day
In the past, Hang Da Market Hanoi was a small area where locals came to trade goods. The majority of the goods were cow and buffalo leather. Because of this, the name "Hang Da," which means "leather store" was given to this place. Troupes and traveling circuses would also perform here in the evening. It was not until 1930 - 1939 that the market building at Hang Da Street Hanoi was finally constructed.
When Japanese troops were stationed in Hanoi in 1942, American jets bombed the city. Unfortunately, Hang Da Market was severely damaged.
Today, the market has turned into a modern shopping mall with 3 floors. It provides a wide range of products, from high-end to low-end, suiting all the needs of customers.
2. The structure of Hang Da Market in Hanoi
Thanks to being located right at the center of Hoan Kiem District, Hang Da Market Hanoi is a favorite shopping destination of the locals. Outside this famous market in Hanoi is a large parking space for cars and motorbikes, making it even more convenient for shopaholics.
Hang Da Market consists of three sectors on three distinctive floors:
- Basement: This floor is mainly for food, secondhand clothes, and votive stuff.
- First floor: This floor is a venue for events and parties. It also has wine, beer, and sweets.
- Second floor: This floor only has high-end products.
2.1. The basement of Hang Da Market
Foods ranging from fruits, vegetables, meat, and seafood are sold here. Early in the morning, Hang Da Market’s basement is usually crowded because it is the right time to get the freshest meat and seafood.
Another highlight of this floor is the pre-owned, overstock, and bale products. Connoisseurs of shopping love to visit this place since the products in Hang Da Market are often of better quality, more diverse in design, and easier to pick.
You can also find votive stuff in the basement of Hang Da Market Hanoi Vietnam. Votive papers are essential items on Vietnamese altars during cultural and religious events and anniversaries.
2.2. The first floor
The majority of commodities here are beverages (wine, beer, etc.) and sweets (candy, chocolate, biscuit, etc.).
The first floor of Hang Da Market also houses a large hall, which is a popular venue for local events, weddings, and parties.
2.3. The second floor
The second floor of Hang Da Market is where high-end products are sold, for example, branded clothing and trendy accessories (glasses, wallets, watches, handbags, etc.). Your attention will easily be drawn by the shine and sparkle of the shops, but the price of goods might be higher as well.
3. Some suggested things to buy at Hang Da Market
A visit to Hang Da Market will take you to a shopping paradise of the local people of Hanoi. Below are some highlighted products that you can consider buying:
- Ao dai: Hang Da Market, as its name suggests, is a famous place that sells fabrics and clothes. This is one of the best Hanoi markets where you can find beautiful traditional costumes, especially the world-famous ao dai. The ao dai here will not let you down with its exquisite needlework and top-notch silk materials.
- Second-hand clothes: Hang Da Market is famous for second-hand products in its basement. The products here range from pre-owned products of mint condition (Gucci, LV, Chanel, etc.), overstock, to clothing bales. The clothes in Hang Da Market are more diverse and better designed. Of course, the price is often higher than in other markets, and it is harder to bargain, also.
- Foods: Early in the morning, traders will gather in Hang Da Market bringing along the freshest food. The meat, fish, and seafood here are exceptionally fresh and often more expensive than those in other local markets in Hanoi.
4. Tips for going shopping at Hang Da Market Hanoi
The best time to visit Hang Da Market is early in the morning when the shop owners are setting up for the day. There are some food stalls on the first floor, where you can stop by to have some freshly cooked Vietnamese street foods.
There is a skill that foreigners should master before paying a visit to any Vietnam market: bargaining. Shopping at Hang Da Market is no exception. You should bargain the price down to 25-50% of the starting number that the seller offers.
Besides Hang Da Market, other local markets such as Dong Xuan Market, Quang Ba Flower Market, and Hanoi Night Markets are also wonderful places to visit in Hanoi if you want to get exposed to the vibrant life of the locals. You can also pay a visit to Vincom Mega Mall Times City to see the difference between the traditional markets and the modern shopping malls in Hanoi. While you are there, don’t forget to come to VinKE to have fun and relax with the hundreds of games this place offers. The nearby Vinpearl Aquarium, one of Vietnam’s most modern aquariums, is also worth your visit.
>>> Book tickets of VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium to have a fancy outing in Hanoi!
In addition to Hanoi, Vietnam is also home to many appealing destinations with exquisite natural settings and rich culture, such as Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, to name a few. No matter where you are heading to, finding a good place to stay is a priority. If you do not know where to stay in Vietnam, consider Vinpearl. It is a leading hospitality brand with a system of luxury hotels and resorts in most tourist destinations all across the country. Reputable for first-class services, Vinpearl is undoubtedly a promising place to have your leisure stay.
Hang Da Market is a famous local market in Hanoi that offers a wide range of products of good quality and reasonable price. It is an ideal destination for a Hanoi tour if travelers want to explore the life of the locals while enjoying the pleasure of shopping.
>>> Book tickets of VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium to explore Hanoi in a new way!