“How to make Vietnamese egg coffee?” You might be asking yourself this question after trying this indulgent masterpiece on your Vietnam travel journey and experiencing the country's coffee culture. Learn the specific ingredients, steps, and tips in this guide. Even if you are making it back home, you can enjoy an authentic cup of this signature Vietnamese coffee.
1. Ingredients for making Vietnamese egg coffee
The first step to learning how to make Vietnamese egg coffee is knowing what ingredients to gather.
Here are the ingredients you need to make Vietnamese egg coffee:
- 3 tbsp of freshly ground roasted coffee powder
- 2 eggs
- 30 ml of condensed milk
- A dash of cinnamon powder
- Boiling water
- 20g of sugar
In addition to the Vietnamese egg coffee ingredients above, you will have to prepare:
- An electric mixer or a whisk
- A coffee filter
- Ceramic cups (or mugs)
- A spoon
In crafting the delectable concoction of egg coffee, precision in selecting the finest ingredients is key. It is advisable to select fresh, locally-sourced eggs with a clear origin. Simultaneously, use pure coffee to ensure the freshness of the recently roasted coffee, promoting both taste and health.
2. How to make Vietnamese egg coffee?
Making Vietnamese egg coffee involves three main steps. Let's delve into the specific instructions for each!
2.1. Coffee preparation
The meticulous coffee preparation process guarantees a delectable and authentic cup of Hanoi-style egg coffee.
- Start by thoroughly rinsing the coffee filter and cup with boiling water to ensure cleanliness.
- Add three tablespoons of freshly ground roasted coffee powder to the filter.
- Gently press the lid to distribute the coffee grounds evenly.
- Place the filter over the cup and slowly pour 30 ml of boiling water into it.
- Allow the coffee to bloom for approximately 2 minutes before adding another 50 ml of boiling water to the filter.
- Seal the filter with its lid and patiently wait for the aromatic coffee to drip into the cup.
2.2. Egg cream preparation
It requires a little finesse to achieve the perfect layer of velvety egg cream that has no unpleasant eggy smell or taste. But worry not, this simple instruction will guide you through all the steps:
- Upon acquiring fresh eggs, separate the yolks and whites.
- In a bowl, combine the egg yolks with three tablespoons of honey and two tablespoons of caster sugar.
- Use an egg beater to whip the mixture until it transforms into a light yellow color with a subtle, pleasant aroma. High-speed beating would be ideal and will ensure a smooth and creamy consistency.
Once both the coffee and egg cream are prepared, it is time to assemble the Vietnamese egg coffee.
- Begin by adding four tablespoons of condensed milk to the cup, adjusting the amount according to personal preference.
- Pour the black coffee into the cup, and then gently ladle the whipped egg cream on top.
This careful process results in the formation of three distinct and visually appealing layers in the coffee cup. To enhance the presentation and flavor, sprinkle a small amount of cinnamon or cocoa powder on the surface of the beverage.
3. How to drink Vietnamese egg coffee?
Drinking Vietnamese egg coffee is an art, and the experience is best enjoyed when the beverage is still warm. According to coffee connoisseurs, it is recommended to gently stir the coffee from the bottom before taking that first flavorful sip.
However, note that excessive stirring may hasten the cooling process, and the egg component could develop an undesirable tang, making the coffee less enjoyable.
Nonetheless, many people stir their egg coffee vigorously and then dip their spoon into the bottom of the cup to scoop up the rich coffee and the egg cream. This allows for a gradual and measured appreciation of each spoonful, ensuring that the full spectrum of flavors is savored.
For an extra touch, some also choose to pair egg coffee with a slice of bread to mix tastes and textures, enhancing the overall enjoyment of the beverage.
4. Essential notes when making Vietnamese egg coffee
There are a few other things you should keep in mind while making your homemade Vietnamese egg coffee:
- Opt for a pure variety of coffee. In terms of texture, it should be smooth and frothy.
- Do not buy eggs with black spots or cracks on the outer shell.
- Do not whisk the eggs for too long. Doing so can cause the egg to separate.
- The typical ratio of egg cream to coffee in one cup is 1:1. But you can adjust this based on your personal preference.
- Maintain the coffee's warmth by placing it in a bowl filled with boiling water.
If you want to taste Vietnamese egg coffee by Vietnamese people, you can travel to Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Ha Long also offer this indulgent drink. At these places, you can stay at Vinpearl hotels and resorts:
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc: Visitors can indulge in the serene beaches, explore the island's vibrant culture, or unwind in the properties’ lavish spa facilities. Each Vinpearl Phu Quoc location promises an unforgettable escape to paradise.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang: Vinpearl Nha Trang properties are epitomes of luxury along the picturesque coastline of Nha Trang. Visitors can enjoy pampering accommodations, diverse dining experiences, and a range of entertainment options.
- Vinpearl Hoi An: Set against the charming backdrop of Hoi An's ancient town, Vinpearl Hoi An exudes a unique blend of elegance and historical allure. Visitors can explore the UNESCO-listed old town, relax in well-appointed accommodations, and indulge in gourmet dining.
- Vinpearl Ha Long: Vinpearl Ha Long graces the stunning landscape of Ha Long Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its breathtaking limestone karsts. This resort offers a spectacular retreat with luxurious facilities and panoramic views of the bay.
Besides luxurious accommodations, you can avail of the properties' world-class amenities, such as swimming pools, spas, gyms, restaurants, and bars. From Vinpearl, you also have the opportunity to check out VinWonders for diverse entertainment options. There are thrilling rides, lively shows, and more! They will surely leave you with unforgettable memories.
By taking the time to select the finest coffee beans, ensuring the freshness of eggs, and following each step with precision, you can craft a cup of indulgence and pay homage to the rich tapestry of Vietnamese culinary heritage. Do not forget to apply the tips in this guide on how to make Vietnamese egg coffee to make and enjoy the perfect Vietnamese egg coffee.