The International Day of Older Persons is celebrated on October 1st every year. This is the occasion where we show our gratitude to the elderly, with appreciative messages and meaningful gifts. Plus, this is also an occasion where any issues related to senior citizens get raised.
1. When is the International Day of Older Persons?
The International Day of Older Persons is observed worldwide on October 1st each year. It is an occasion that holds deep significance, as it recognizes and appreciates older individuals within our communities.
The purpose of the International Day of Older Persons is multifaceted, aiming to raise awareness of the challenges faced by seniors, advocate for their rights and well-being, and promote social inclusion. By acknowledging the wisdom, experience, and contributions of older persons, we cultivate a more compassionate and age-inclusive society.
2. Annual themes of the International Day of Older Persons
The International Old Person Day was first observed in 1991. Since then, each year, the International Day of the Elderly has been celebrated with a new theme. Here is a table of the International Day of Older Persons theme 2022 all the way back to 1998:
|1998 & 2000
|Towards A Society for All Ages
|Older Persons in an Intergenerational Society
|Ageing in the New Millennium
|Improving the Quality of Life for Older Persons: Advancing UN Global Strategies
|Addressing the Challenges and Opportunities of Ageing.
|Rights of Older Persons
|Towards a Society for All Ages
|Older Persons and the Achievement of the MDGs
|The Growing Opportunities & Challenges of Global Ageing
|Longevity: Shaping the Future
|The Future We Want: What Older Persons are Saying
|Leaving No One Behind: Promoting a Society for All
|Sustainability and Age Inclusiveness in the Urban Environment
|Take a Stand Against Ageism
|Stepping into the Future: Tapping the Talents, Contributions and Participation of Older Persons in Society
|Celebrating Older Human Rights Champions.
|The Journey to Age Equality
|Pandemics: Do They Change How We Address Age and Ageing?
|Digital Equity for All Ages
|Resilience of Older Persons in a Changing World
3. Highly-recommended messages and quotes for the International Day of Older Persons
If you are looking for meaningful messages to write on gift cards or post on social media, etc., here are the best International Day of Older Persons quotes:
- Expressing gratitude and appreciation
- "Thank you for your wisdom, guidance, and endless love. Happy International Day of Older Persons!"
- "To the amazing older individuals in our lives, your presence enriches us in countless ways. Today, we celebrate and honor you!"
- Advocating for senior citizens’ rights
- "We stand united in advocating for the rights and well-being of older persons. Let's create a society that values and protects their rights at all stages of life."
- "Older persons have the right to be heard, respected, and included in decision-making processes. Let's ensure their voices are heard, and their rights are upheld."
- Fostering intergenerational connections
- "Let's bridge the generation gap and embrace the wisdom of older persons. Together, we can learn, grow, and build a brighter future."
- "Today, let's celebrate the bonds between generations and cherish the lessons passed down by older individuals. Happy International Day of Older Persons!"
- Promoting well-being and inclusion
- "Every older person deserves to age with dignity, respect, and care. Let's work together to create inclusive communities where they can thrive."
- "We must ensure that older persons have access to healthcare, social support, and opportunities to remain active and engaged. Happy International Day of Older Persons!"
- Recognizing their contributions
- "The world is a better place because of the contributions made by older persons. Let's acknowledge and appreciate their invaluable impact on society."
- "On this special day, we recognize and honor the tremendous legacy created by older individuals. Your efforts have shaped our world."
4. The International Day of Older Persons gift ideas
Let’s take a look at gift ideas that are sure to bring joy, comfort, and meaningful experiences to those you hold dear:
- Personalized photo album: Create a heartfelt photo album filled with cherished memories shared with the older person. This is a thoughtful gift that can evoke nostalgia and make for a lasting keepsake.
- Relaxation and wellness set: Put together a gift basket with items like scented candles, soothing teas, a cozy blanket, and a relaxation CD. Encourage self-care and relaxation to promote their well-being.
- Customized calendar: Design a calendar featuring family photos and important dates. It can help them stay organized, reminisce about special occasions, and add a personal touch to their daily routine.
- Technology aid: Consider gifting a user-friendly tablet or smartphone that allows easy access to communication apps, games, and helpful resources. It can help them stay connected and engaged with loved ones digitally.
- Volunteer experience: Offer your time to volunteer with an organization that supports older persons. Spend quality time together, engage in meaningful conversations, or participate in activities that bring joy and companionship.
Last but not least, the best gift for your seniors is a holiday package, with which you can travel and spend quality time with them. For this, we highly recommend Vietnam holiday packages.
Vietnam is an ideal location if you embrace the idea of slow travel and want to immerse yourself in breathtaking and healing nature. Some world-famous locations in Vietnam that you would definitely love to consider are Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Ha Long.
To make the best out of your Vietnam trip, it is suggested that you book your accommodation at Vinpearl hotels and resorts. Vinpearl is well-reputed for a series of world-class amenities like golf courses, spas, and dining options. Plus, the properties of Vinpearl are all located conveniently near top tourist attractions, allowing you to get around with ease of mind.
All in all, International Day Of Older Persons is a meaningful occasion for us to honor senior citizens and what they have contributed to make the society a better place to live. Hopefully, after reading this article, you can know more about this special day and prepare the best gifts with the best messages for your loved ones.