Located at the corner of Bach Dang and Trung Nu Vuong streets, on the bank of Han River, Museum of Cham Sculpture is currently the largest Cham museum in the country, the pride of the residents of the coastal city. It is one of the many must-visit tourist attractions when coming to Da Nang.
1. Where is Cham Museum Vietnam?
Known as the very first museum built by the French, Cham Museum is the safekeeping place of numerous precious collections of sculptural and art relics of the Champa kingdom found along South Central Coastal Provinces.
- Location: No.02, 2/9 Street, Binh Hien ward, Hai Chau district, Da Nang city, Vietnam
Right opposite Vietnam Television Center, Museum of Cham Sculpture is located at the intersection of 2/9 street and Trung Nu Vuong street.
Cham Museum Da Nang was first opened to tourists in 1919 after 4 years of construction. Through several expansions and renovations, the museum has become the ideal destination for history enthusiasts to explore the imprint of the once flourished Cham Kingdom.
With a total area of 6,673 square meters, This Da Nang museum houses the world’s largest exhibition of Champa cultural artifacts. In which, an area of 2,000 square meters is for displaying ancient relics, while the rest of the area shows the rare collection of pictures and documents about Cham culture.
>>> Book airport transfer from Danang International Airport - Vinpearl Da Nang for a reliable and flexible trip
2. How much is the Cham Museum Entrance Fee?
Similar to other cultural venues, The Museum of Sculpture Da Nang has specific opening hours, which are from 7 am to 5 pm every day. In addition, you will need to purchase an admission ticket of 60,000 VND/person. Make sure to read the discount section for more details.
For a memorable and informative trip, Cham Museum also offers visitors comprehensive services of audio guide and human tour guide.
Follow these 3 steps to explore the museum at your own pace.
- Step 1: Login to the museum's wifi
- Step 2: Open a web browser, type in: https://chamaudio.com
- Step 3: Choose your preferred language between Vietnamese, English, and French. Now, you can listen to the commentaries on the way by clicking on the image of the object that rouses your curiosity or scanning the barcode attached to that object. Visitors are also suggested to follow the recommended tour sequence and have the commentaries automatically played when coming into a certain area.
Human Tour Guide
For a group of 5 and above, you can hire a tour guide to listen to their commentaries in English, Vietnamese or French on highlighted objects or freely ask questions about the Cham history.
- Available during 7.30 am - 11 am and 2 pm - 5 pm
- You need to book this service at least 3 days in advance if your group requires a French or English speaking guide.
>>> Book rooms at Vinpearl Da Nang to ensure a pleasant stay!
3. The development history of Museum of Cham Sculpture Da Nang
Despite being officially under construction in 1915, the foundation of Museum of Cham Sculpture was first initiated at the end of the 19th century by the Ecole Francaise d’Extreme Orient (EFEO). A collection of artifacts were gathered from Cham temples and towers stretching throughout Central Vietnam, from Quang Binh to Binh Dinh province and were then displayed at Le Jardin de Tourane park on a small hill by Han River.
- 1915: The museum was officially under construction for the purpose of preserving and displaying the vestiges of Champa civilization.
- 1919: The museum opened to the public.
- 1930: The museum underwent the first expansion due to the enormous number of excavated antiquities. At the same time, the tour route was reconfigured with sculptures being displayed in galleries named after locations, while still following a reasonable chronology.
- 2002: The museum underwent the second expansion, adding a storage area, restoration workshop, research rooms and exhibition rooms for contemporary Cham culture, including a collection of the Cham ethnic people’s costumes, musical instruments and festival images.
- 2011: Museum of Cham Sculpture was entitled as a “first class museum” in Vietnam, thereby affirming the museum's great contributions in preserving Cham Pa cultural heritage values.
- 2016: Da Nang city restored and upgraded the buildings and galleries of the museum, while maintaining the original architectural style. The refurbished building featured new amenities including an education center, reception hall, auditorium, thematic exhibition rooms, and a souvenir shop, etc.
>>> Time for an adventure! Book tour and accommodation in Da Nang now!
4. Highlights of Cham Museum Da Nang
4.1. Iconic architectural style of Cham Museum
The original building was designed by two French architects, Delaval and Auclai. Based on the suggestion of Henri Parmentier, chairman of the Department of Archeology of the EFEO Institution, the architectural style of the museum is a blend between classical European Gothic design and Cham traditional art.
Influenced by the structure of Cham Temples, Museum of Cham Sculpture sits uniquely within the surroundings with its distinct pyramid-shaped roof. Moreover, large rooms filled with numerous windows expose the museum to exterior daylight. Although it has undergone few renovations, the original architectural features remain almost intact to this day, even after over 100 years.
4.2. Various exhibition rooms
Currently, the museum has more than 2,000 cultural artifacts of the Cham dynasty, but only about 500 antiques are on display as the rest are carefully stored in the warehouse.
Visitors will have the opportunity to admire hundreds of relics including national treasures and various outstanding Champa sculptural works of different materials such as sandstone, terracotta, metal, etc from the 5th to the 15th centuries. The artifacts appear to be variations on several central themes from fertility symbols, mythical creatures to architectural decorations of Hindu and Buddhist gods, which reflect a diverse cultural and religious life of ancient Champa people in the central region of Vietnam.
In order to provide visitors with a convenient, easy-to-follow trip, the antiques are put into different location-based galleries depending on where they were excavated such as Tra Kieu Gallery, Thap Ma Gallery, My Son Gallery, etc. A visit to the museum will allow you to admire the glorious time of the ancient nation.
4.3. National treasures
At Da Nang Museum of Cham Sculpture, there are currently 3 antiquities classified as national treasures: My Son E1 altar, Tra Kieu altar and Tara Bodhisattva statue.
4.4. Notes when visiting Museum of Cham Sculpture
- Visitors need to show their entrance tickets at the door.
- Do not touch the artifacts. Do not climb, sit on the podiums.
- Do not bring large pieces of luggage into the museum. Hand luggage of over 3 kilograms can be left at the luggage counter.
- Maintain general hygiene in the museum premises.
- Do not bring explosives, flammable substances and dangerous items into the museum.
- When entering the museum, you should dress neatly and formally.
>>> Get ready for your stay to Da Nang right now with Vinpearl!
5. Where to stay to visit Museum of Cham Sculpture? Tips for your accommodation booking
Located right in the heart of Da Nang city, Vinpearl Da Nang allows travellers to easily visit many famous tourist attractions and entertainment sights of the city. Not only does Vinpearl Da Nang possess luxurious design but also satisfies customers with its professional and high-class facilities and services.
- Located by the Han River, Melia Vinpearl Danang Riverfront is cleverly designed with picturesque views, smart interior decorations, and 5-star services such as spas, infinity pools, and classy restaurants.
- If you prefer an accommodation with ocean view, Vinpearl Luxury Đà Nẵng and Vinpearl Resort & Spa Đà Nẵng are the ones for you!
>>> Have yourself a wonderful luxury trip at Vinpearl Da Nang
Museum of Cham Sculpture should definitely be on your must-visit list when traveling to Da Nang. You will time-travel to a once-mighty nation and have the chance to grasp the stunning art masterpieces of Cham people.
>>> Remember to book yourself vouchers, combos, tours to Da Nang to comfortably enjoy your vacation!