Linh Ung Pagoda is an ideal destination for visitors to relax and ease their minds in the tranquility of a spiritual site and the serenity of nature. Da Nang, Vietnam is home to 3 Linh Ung Pagodas. This article will give you some useful information about 2 of them: Linh Ung Pagoda Marble Mountains and Linh Ung Pagoda Son Tra Peninsula.
1. Linh Ung Pagoda Son Tra Peninsula
1.1. About Linh Ung Pagoda Son Tra Peninsula
- Address: Son Tra Peninsula, Tho Quang Ward, Son Tra District, Da Nang City
- Opening hours: 6.00 a.m. – 9.00 p.m.
- Entrance fee: Free
Linh Ung Pagoda is situated on Son Tra Peninsula, 639 meters above the sea level and 10 kilometers away from the center of Da Nang City to the northeast. The pagoda faces the peninsula, overlooking the East Sea. There is Cu Lao Cham Island to the left of the pagoda and a spectacular view of Hai Van Mountain to the right.
1.2. The not-to-be-missed attractions when visiting Linh Ung Pagoda Son Tra Peninsula
1.2.1. Discover the beauty of Linh Ung Pagoda’s architecture
- The history of Linh Ung Pagoda
There is a local myth about the history of Linh Ung Pagoda Son Tra Peninsula which is passed down from generations to generations. During the reign of emperor Minh Mang, Nguyen Dynasty, a Buddha statue drifted to the sandbank of Son Tra Peninsula. Believing that this was an auspicious sign, the local fishermen built a shrine to worship Buddha. Since then, the waves of the sea became calmer, making it easier for local people to do fishing work.
For that reason, the sandbank where the statue drifted to is called Bai But, which means “The land of Buddha.” Linh Ung Pagoda Da Nang was built in this area in 2004. After 6 years of construction, it was officially inaugurated, highlighting the emergence of Buddhism in Vietnam in the 21st century.
- Exterior architecture
The pagoda has an area of 20 hectares with a complex of buildings including the main hall, the ancestor’s house, the lecture hall, the library, the cafeteria and the Arhat statue garden. Therefore, the pagoda is the largest one in Da Nang. Its architecture design is a harmonious combination between the contemporary style and traditional Vietnamese style.
After going up and passing the main gate, you will see the main hall. The main hall is supported by sturdy pillars and decorated with a curved roof in the shape of a dragon, highlighting a traditional style of Vietnamese pagodas. In the center of the main hall, there is a Sakyamuni Buddha statue. To the right of the statue, there is an Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva statue and to the left of it, there is a Buddha Tripitaka statue.
Along the path to the main hall, you can see 4 Guardians and 18 Arhat statues arranged based on their spiritual significance. Each of the Arhat statues represents a human emotion: joy, anger, love and hate.
1.2.2. The outstanding Lady Buddha statue
The most prominent feature of Linh Ung Da Nang Pagoda is the Lady Buddha statue, which is the tallest one in Vietnam with a height of 67 meters, equivalent to that of a 30-floor building. The Lady Buddha statue is placed on a lotus-shaped foundation with a diameter of 35 meters. Inside the statue is a 17-meter-wide area that includes 17 floors, and there are 21 Buddha statues on each floor.
Many tourists visit Linh Ung Pagoda to contemplate the majestic beauty of the Lady Buddha statue and pray for good things. The pagoda is a harmonious combination between the sacred and elegant beauty of architecture and the beauty of nature.
You may also like:
- Asia travel: A worthwhile journey to explore nature and culture
- Vietnam national flower: A symbol of culture and traditional visual arts
- Seasons in Vietnam: Different features by region that you may not know
2. Linh Ung Pagoda Marble Mountains
2.1. About Linh Ung Pagoda – Marble Mountains
- Address: Water Mountain, Hoa Hai, Marble Mountains, Da Nang
- Opening hours: 6.30 a.m. – 5.30 p.m
- Entrance fee: Free
Linh Ung Pagoda – Marble Mountains is situated on the eastern side of Water Mountain, which is the most majestic and magnificent mountain belonging to Marble Mountains. The pagoda is 10 kilometers away from the city center to the Southeast. With its nostalgic beauty and historical value, it attracts a lot of visitors coming to sightsee and pray for a good life.
2.2. Highlights of Linh Ung Pagoda Marble Mountains
2.2.1. Exploring The Unique Architecture of Linh Ung Pagoda – Marble Mountains
- The history of Linh Ung Pagoda
Constructed in 1825, Linh Ung Da Nang Pagoda – Marble Mountains is the oldest of the three Linh Ung Pagodas in Da Nang. It has gone through a lot of renovations over hundreds of years. According to historical documents, the pagoda was originally named Duong Chon Duong. Under the Nguyen Dynasty, it was renovated and renamed Ung Chon Tu by emperor Minh Mang in 1825. In 1841, emperor Thanh Thai renamed it Linh Ung Pagoda.
- Exterior architecture
Linh Ung Pagoda in Da Nang is surrounded by majestic mountains and trees, making the atmosphere there very fresh and comfortable. The most prominent feature of the exterior architecture is an imposing white Buddha statue, which is 10 meters tall. Its back faces the mountain while its front faces the pagoda.
- Xa Loi Tower
Xa Loi Tower, which was built in 1997, is also one of the most outstanding features of Linh Ung Pagoda in Vietnam. It is 28 meters tall and has 7 floors and 200 Buddha, Bodhisattva and Arhat statues inside. Hence, the tower is recognized to have the largest number of stone statues in Vietnam.
2.2.2. Linh Ung Pagoda – The Ideal Sightseeing Place
Linh Ung Pagoda – Marble Mountains has a unique ancient Vietnamese-style architecture with elaborately carved patterns. The main hall of the pagoda impresses visitors with its structure resembling the letter “Nhat”.
Inside the main hall, the nave is used to worship three Buddhas including Sakyamuni Buddha, Maitreya Buddha and Amitabha Buddha and two Bodhisattvas including Samantabhadra Bodhisattva and Manjusri Bodhisattva. The side is used to worship Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva and Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva.
Linh Ung Pagoda Da Nang Vietnam still preserves two valuable golden boards: one marking the recognition of the pagoda as a national pagoda and the other marking its new name “Linh Ung Pagoda”. In 1980, Linh Ung Pagoda – Marble Mountains was recognized as a National Historical – Cultural Heritage Site by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
Articles for you:
- Hai Van Pass: One of the most scenic hillside roads in Vietnam
- What to buy in Da Nang: 7 highly recommended things for your shopping
- Da Nang shopping mall: 7+ top-rated places to add to your travel list
3. More experience for your travel to Linh Ung Pagoda in Da Nang
To enhance your travel to Linh Ung Pagoda Da Nang in Vietnam, don’t forget to read some useful tips below:
- When visiting a spiritual destination, you should choose a polite outfit and avoid wearing shorts, crop tops, short skirts, etc.
- Visitors should walk lightly, be quiet and avoid touching public property in the pagoda.
- Linh Ung Pagoda is situated on the mountain, thus you should choose a pair of walking shoes instead of high heels. You should also bring sunscreen, hats, umbrellas, drinks, etc.
- For a convenient and hassle-free way to travel to Linh Ung Pagoda and other tourist destinations in Da Nang, taking a taxi is highly recommended. Consider choosing XANH SM Taxi for the best experience.
XANH SM Taxi - the first electric taxi company in Vietnam, operated entirely with VinFast electric cars. Customers who travel by XANH SM taxi not only receive an excellent standard of service, but they also join XANH SM in its efforts to reduce vehicle emissions and safeguard the environment. XANH SM provides standard and luxury taxi service, airport taxi, with attractive promotions. Customers can easily book a taxi in 04 ways:
(1) Call the national hotline 1900 2088
(2) Wave on the street like a traditional taxi
(3) Book on the Taxi Xanh SM app. Click HERE to download the app
(4) Use the beVinFast service on the multi-service customer platform BE to book Xanh SM taxi
4. Da Nang tourist attractions nearby
- My Khe Beach: This is a breathtaking beach that will leave you mesmerized with its crystal-clear waters and white sandy shores. It is the perfect destination near Da Nang for swimming, sunbathing or just strolling along the shore while enjoying the ocean breeze. There are also plenty of local restaurants around it offering fresh seafood cuisine.
- Dragon Bridge: Dragon Bridge is an iconic 666-meter-long landmark that spans the Han River, and illuminates with a spectacular display of colorful LED lights when night falls. The highlight of its structure is the Dragon head, which spews fire and water every weekend at 9 P.M., much to the delight of locals and tourists. Here, you will find plenty of awe-inspiring photo opportunities.
- My Son Sanctuary: This UNESCO World Heritage site showcases the remains of an ancient civilization that dates back to the 4th century. It features dozens of red-brick structures, including impressive towers adorned with intricate carvings and sculptures of various Hindu deities, offering visitors a glimpse into the spiritual beliefs and cultural practices of the Champa Kingdom.
- Da Nang Cathedral: This is a beautiful and unique architectural gem that stands out among the other buildings in the area. The cathedral is known for its striking pastel pink exterior, but its intricate details and decorations is also well-worth admiring. It was built during the French colonial period of Vietnam, and has since become a significant cultural landmark that attracts visitors from all over the world.
Planning your itinerary for Da Nang and nearby destinations like Hoi An Ancient Town is essential for a well-rounded experience. When considering your travel options, keep in mind the comfort offered by Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An, an excellent choice for accommodation.
Nestled amidst the enchanting landscapes of Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An offers a haven of tranquility. The resort's meticulously designed rooms, world-class amenities, and exceptional hospitality ensure a relaxing retreat after your day's explorations. Also, you can pair your stay with a visit to VinWonders Nam Hoi An, a top-rated amusement park that promises an unforgettable adventure for the entire family.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An for a memorable stay!
Linh Ung Pagoda is one of the most famous spiritual sites in Da Nang. It is an ideal destination for visitors to ease their minds, relax and explore the unique beauty and the sacred architecture of the pagoda.