Located at the heart of the biggest city in Central Vietnam - Da Nang, the Dragon Bridge shines bright under the dark night sky. With a quick research in advance, one can easily find a good spot to enjoy the spectacular water and fire performances. As the shortest way to reach the city center from Da Nang International Airport, crossing the beautiful Han river, the Bridge of Dragon is a must-go destination!
1. Where is Dragon Bridge in Vietnam?
Dragon Bridge holds a spectacular position in the vibrant city of Da Nang, Vietnam. This iconic bridge gracefully spans across the mighty Han River (also famous for Han River Bridge), connecting the eastern and western banks and serving as a vital link between two bustling thoroughfares: Nguyen Van Linh Street on one side and Bach Dang Street on the other. Its strategic location at the heart of Da Nang places it in close proximity to numerous tourist hotspots, making it easily accessible to travelers seeking to explore the city's cultural and natural wonders. From Dragon Bridge Da Nang, visitors can venture towards the enchanting Son Tra Peninsula, renowned for its pristine beaches and lush landscapes, as well as the awe-inspiring Linh Ung Pagoda, offering breathtaking views of the city and its surroundings.
2. The impressive architecture of Dragon Bridge in Da Nang
The construction of the Dragon Bridge in Da Nang, Vietnam, was an ambitious and impressive feat that commenced in July 2009 and concluded in March 2013. The bridge's main span, a significant milestone in the project, was completed on October 26, 2012, showcasing the engineering prowess behind this magnificent structure. Symbolizing the Liberation of Da Nang during the Second Indochina War, the bridge's opening to traffic was purposefully scheduled on March 29, 2013, to coincide with the 38th anniversary of the city's capture by North Vietnamese forces. This momentous occasion not only marked the fruition of a remarkable infrastructure endeavor but also celebrated the resilient spirit and historical significance of Da Nang.
The Dragon Bridge of Da Nang, Vietnam is the world's largest dragon-shaped steel bridge. With an installation cost of $85 million, it has 6 lanes and 666 meters of undulating steel shaped into a Ly-Dynasty dragon figure - the symbol of prosperity in Vietnamese culture. This gorgeous one-of-a-kind metal dragon also “breathes” fire and water weekly. The deliberate integration of lighting technology, with more than 2,500 LED lights, exquisitely shows the dragon's body and its vivid fire-breathing head.
Dragon Bridge Da Nang has attracted worldwide attention as a shining example for innovation in architecture. Its unusual arch support system has gained widespread regard in the designing industry and global media.
Here're the characteristics of the Dragon Bridge in Vietnam:
- Material: Steel
- Total length: 666 meters (2,185 ft)
- Width: 37.5 meters (123 ft)
- Longest span: 200 meters (660 ft)
- Clearance below: 7 meters (23 ft)
3. The Dragon Bridge's fire time
As a gateway for outside visitors to enter Da Nang city, Han River Dragon Bridge is an exclusive symbol - a statement for the city’s modern development. What’s more, it is the fire and water performance of this Bridge of Dragon that really intrigues tourists. After its operation was postponed for a while due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the show has resumed since the beginning of 2022 - marking the recovery of Da Nang and its tourism sector.
On every Saturday, Sunday and major holiday such as Vietnamese Tet, the Dragon Bridge fire show would take place at 9 p.m. Since there would be a large crowd excitedly waiting for the show to start from as soon as 8 p.m, you would want to make a reservation at a nearby restaurant for a more enjoyable seat and experience.
The initial presentation of dragon bridge Da Nang fire show features an enthralling 2-minute fire-breathing spectacle, executed in two segments with a remarkable display of fire-breathing occurring nine times. Following this, the water spraying performance promptly follows, lasting for an impressive duration of 3 minutes and comprising three distinct sequences, each featuring a single instance of water spraying. Observers are guaranteed to be captivated by the mesmerizing combination of radiant lights, synchronized with the breathtaking fire and water emanating from the dragon's mouth, rendering it a truly awe-inspiring attraction that stands as an extraordinary focal point within the enchanting city of Danang.
You may also like:
- Vietnam'S walking streets: 10 places to head to for a fantastic night out
- Seasons in Vietnam: Different features by region that you may not know
- Mid Autumn Festival In Vietnam: Enjoy the jubilant ambiance on a full moon
4. Da Nang's International Fireworks Festival
The Da Nang International Fireworks Festival (DIFF) is a highly anticipated annual event that illuminates the summer nights with mesmerizing displays of light and artistry. Held during the summer months, this festival captivates spectators with its ever-changing themes, making each edition a unique and unforgettable experience. Drawing participants from various countries, DIFF showcases the best pyrotechnic teams from around the world, including teams from England, Italy, Poland, France, Australia, Canada, Finland, and the host country, Vietnam. Each team is given the opportunity to present their creative interpretations under the theme of the year, captivating the audience with 20-minute long spectacular performances.
5. Where to get the best view to enjoy the performances of the Dragon Bridge?
Imagine you are waiting for the fire breathing show, joining in the electrifying atmosphere and seeing the reflection of thousands of twinkling LED lights of the bridge on the Han River before your eyes, surely you would not want such experience to be disturbed. Therefore, it is important to pick an observing point in advance to have the best experience watching the Dragon Bridge fire breathing show.
Here are some recommended places for you:
- Right on the Dragon Bridge
- Tran Hung Dao Street
- Bach Dang Street
- Buildings and coffee shops near the bridge
- Other bridges nearby: Han River Bridge, Tran Thi Ly Bridge, Thuan Phuoc Bridge, etc.
Moreover, you can stay at a hotel near the beach to enjoy its nature beauty. For perfect accommodation with all-inclusive services, it is highly recommended that you stay at Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An. Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An seamlessly blends contemporary architecture with the breathtaking beauty of nature. The resort building, resembling gigantic sails, fronts the pristine 1.3km-long Binh Minh Beach. It features an infinity pool shaped like a seashell, opulent villas, and various other amenities. As a bonus, swing by VinWonders Nam Hoi An for an exquisite cultural experience in this modern entertainment complex.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An for your once-in-a-lifetime trip to Da Nang, Vietnam!
6. Nighttime delights near Da Nang's Dragon Bridge
Exploring Da Nang City at night offers a magical experience as the city comes alive with vibrant lights and bustling activities. Near the Dragon Bridge, visitors can indulge in various enchanting nighttime attractions, such as:
Love Bridge: The Love Bridge, located adjacent to the Dragon Bridge in Vietnam, is a romantic spot adorned with heart-shaped decorations and colorful lights. Couples often visit this bridge to attach love locks, symbolizing their eternal bond. As the night sets in, the bridge's charming ambiance creates a perfect setting for a romantic stroll and heartfelt moments.
Riverside Walk: Taking a leisurely stroll along the Han River's banks offers a serene escape from the urban bustle. The river's tranquil waters reflect the glimmering city lights, creating a picturesque scene. Locals and tourists alike enjoy this peaceful walk, enjoying the cool breeze and admiring the beautifully illuminated bridges and skyscrapers that line the riverbank.
Night Market: Da Nang's night markets, bustling with energy and excitement, offer a delightful shopping experience. Exploring the stalls under the shimmering lights is a great way to immerse oneself in the local culture and savor the city's culinary delights.
Articles for you:
- Danang Airport: Useful information for your arrivals and departures
- Top 10+ iconic Da Nang foods you must try on your first trip
- What to buy in Da Nang: 7 highly recommended things for your shopping
7. How to get to Dragon Bridge in Da Nang?
There are multiple means of transport to travel to Dragon Bridge in Vietnam depending on your preferences and where you depart.
From Hoi An:
- Public bus: You can travel to the bridge by bus. This is the cheapest option as it would only cost you around 20,000 VND ($1). However, note that this means of transportation also has the longest travel time of almost 2 hours. It is recommended that you take bus number 01 from Hoi An bus station, which departs every 15 minutes. Your most suitable drop-off location would be No. 270 Tran Phu, which is only a 5-minute walk away from your desired destination.
- Personal vehicle: Another way to travel to the bridge is by driving your own motorbike or car or a rental one. With the help of Google Maps, you can find the way to your destination with ease. Using a personal vehicle is often a more flexible option. It would be excellent to ride a motorbike with your company to the Bridge of Dragon and cross the romantic Han River at night.
- Private bus: There are a number of private bus companies for tourists who prefer a faster drive to the bridge (which takes approximately an hour). The average fee charged for this service is also relatively cheap (around $7).
From My Khe beach, Da Nang:
When traveling from My Khe beach in Da Nang to the Dragon Bridge, reaching the bridge is a straightforward journey. You have the option of either hailing a taxi or driving yourself. By following the route from Vo Nguyen Giap Street to Vo Van Kiet and crossing the Han River, the Dragon Bridge will come into view. This route is not only convenient for reaching the bridge but also for tourists and locals heading to the city center. Don't miss the opportunity to see the bridge while on your way downtown!
For a reliable and environmentally-friendly taxi option, consider XANH SM Taxi.
XANH SM Taxi - the first electric taxi company in Vietnam, operated entirely with VinFast electric cars. Customers who travel by XANH SM taxi not only receive an excellent standard of service, but they also join XANH SM in its efforts to reduce vehicle emissions and safeguard the environment. XANH SM provides standard and luxury taxi service, airport taxi, with attractive promotions. Customers can easily book a taxi in 04 ways:
(1) Call the national hotline 1900 2088
(2) Wave on the street like a traditional taxi
(3) Book on the Taxi Xanh SM app. Click HERE to download the app
(4) Use the beVinFast service on the multi-service customer platform BE to book Xanh SM taxi
To sum up, to watch the Dragon Bridge fire breathing show on the Han River at night is an experience that you totally should not miss out on! The design of the bridge has made it a cultural icon representing the history and life of local Vietnamese. Note that you should carefully consider the means of transportation and schedule while planning your itinerary to the bridge.