While Khanh Hoa is often known as the province of crystal-clear seawater, sun-kissed sand stretch and exotic seafood, Suoi Do Pagoda is proof of how there is still so much to explore about the culture of this city. The pagoda presents itself uniquely, hidden among the lavish green trees atop a mountain.
1. Where is Suoi Do Pagoda in Nha Trang?
Located on a tall mountain 200 meters above sea level, to the West of Hoang Nguu range in Dien Khanh, Khanh Hoa, Suoi Do Pagoda is only about 30 kilometers away from Nha Trang’s City center. Here, not only can visitors enjoy the magnificent gift of nature, but they also have an opportunity to escape the bustling city life and find inner peace.
In addition, this pagoda in Vietnam is well known for its majestic and tranquil landscape. Suoi Do pagoda is located next to a small brook flowing down from the mountain, which makes its surroundings even more rustic.
2. Thrilling legends about Suoi Do Dien Khanh Pagoda
- Legend of MaHa Cave
MaHa cave, a famous sacred site in Suoi Do, is built as a natural stone hut. Legend has it that in the cave, there is a tree so big that more than four people are required to hug it. A pair of very large black snakes live inside the tree, acting as guardians to protect the tree from being taken away.
- Legend of Panacea at Suoi Do Pagoda in Nha Trang
Rumor has it that the pagoda has the ability to cure all diseases. So far, there has been no foundation regarding this rumor. Still, there are actually a lot of valuable herbs near the temple that can help cure diseases such as diabetes, rheumatism, etc.
3. What is attractive about Suoi Do Pagoda in Nha Trang?
Built in honor of Avalokiteśvara - the Bodhisattva of Compassion, Suoi Do pagoda Khanh Hoa has been around for half a decade, taken care of by local Buddhist monks. There was a rumor about the origin of this temple: long ago, a young girl insisted that she saw Avalokiteśvara at the serene brook near the to-be Suoi Do pagoda. That is why the temple was then built to worship the Bodhisattva and serve the local Buddhist community, as well as worshipers from around the world.
3.1. The poetic natural scenery around Suoi Do Pagoda
Suoi Do pagoda welcomes tourists with its peaceful scenery. Lying quietly among the rustling forest, visitors coming to this sacred temple will find inner peace while immersing themselves in the harmony of rushing waterfalls and twittering bird chirps.
You may also like:
- Female names in Vietnam: 100+ MOST popular names from A to X
- Northern Vietnam: 12 top-rated destinations to add to your 2023 bucket list
- Rainy season in Vietnam: The BEST guide for your future backpacking tour
3.2. The exquisite and aesthetic architecture of the pagoda
Aside from the breathtaking natural setting that the temple is surrounded by, the pagoda is also known for its traditional, yet distinctive architecture. The vivid red and yellow colors of the tiles and walls highly accentuate the temple amidst the blue sky and lush green forest mountain. While the main hall is used to pray to Avalokiteśvara, the left and right areas are respectively for Poh Nagar and the five “mothers”.
Moreover, the pagoda has 200 stair steps leading to its main structure, which is a challenging path that tourists have to overcome to reach the top and arrive at the pagoda. This is the conventional way of representing the hardships that one may face while striving to achieve Nirvana, or Enlightenment in Buddhism. However, once you have made it, the spectacular panoramic views of Vietnam’s countryside will not disappoint!
3.3. The jubilant festival held at Suoi Do Pagoda yearly
Every year on the 8th, 18th and 28th days of the first Lunar month, crowds of locals and tourists will gather at Suoi Do pagoda to pray for luck for the new year. On these days, visitors are also greeted with free vegetarian meals offered by the temple. Even though it is hard to transport culinary ingredients to this high mountain top, Vietnamese locals still put in the effort every year to maintain the tradition.
4. An ultimate guide for your sightseeing trip to Suoi Do Pagoda
4.1. The best time to visit and the directions to Suoi Do Pagoda
The ideal time to visit this pagoda is from the seventh to the ninth Lunar month (around June - August). At this time, the weather is warm and dry, which is perfect for a smooth trip to the temple. Also, this is when there are various Buddhist events for you to join in and experience the native culture.
From September to October (the rainy season) is also a great time for you to visit this Nha Trang pagoda since the waterfall will glisten under the rain, creating a one-of-a-kind picturesque view.
From Nha Trang’s city center, there are two ways to get to Suoi Do Pagoda:
- Go to Thanh T-junction, then go south to Chat Dot T-junction. Keep going straight for approximately 700 meters and turn right. Follow the main road to the mountain. From here, the pagoda is just a 20-minute drive away.
- Travel to Dien Khanh. At Hinh Nhu coffee shop, turn left. After going for 500 meters, you should arrive at an intersection near Thien Quang Temple. Turn right and go for another 500 meters, you will see a large field in Dien Toan commune. Turn left onto the mountain to find the pagoda.
4.2. Some notes for your excursion
- Wear formal outfits as a form of respect for the pagoda and religion
- Wear comfortable sneakers on your way to the temple, through the rocky stairs and rushing water
- Do not swim in the brook in the rainy season to avoid accidents
- Bring sunscreen, sunglasses, hats and coats to protect your skin from UV rays
Articles for you:
- Hon Mun Island: A must-visit destination on your trip to Nha Trang
- VinWonders Nha Trang: An ideal place for your dream-like vacation in 2023
- Nha Trang night market: Detailed guide in 2023 for first-time travelers
4.3. The highly recommended places to stay in Nha Trang
Besides Suoi Do Dien Khanh, tourists are recommended to visit other highlights of Nha Trang City such as Long Son Pagoda, Hon Chong Promontory, Nha Trang Cathedral, and National Oceanographic Museum. An optimal choice for accommodation to consider in this vacation is Vinpearl Nha Trang!
With grand and delicate architecture, Vinpearl Nha Trang is designed to bring you the most comfortable and welcoming experiences on your journey to the exotic Nha Trang City. In addition, there is the awesome VinWonders Nha Trang. This amusement park is a world of wonder, where joy, adventure, and fantasy combine to create unforgettable memories.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Nha Trang to relax after your adventurous trip to Suoi Do!
Suoi Do Pagoda is an attractive tourist destination thanks to not only its sacred holiness, but also the astounding natural beauty of the surroundings. While tourists are welcome to enjoy their visit to the pagoda, it is important to be environmentally aware and keep the area clean.