Blessed with stunning beaches, lush vegetation and rich archeological and historical values, Tuan Chau Island graces the front of many tourist brochures. For all these years, the scenic and mysterious beauty of the island has stirred the sensations and stolen the hearts of numerous visitors. If you are looking for an ultimate guide to this majestic Ha Long’s island, this article is definitely a must for you.
1. Introduction to Tuan Chau Island
Tuan Chau Island lies in the northwest of Ha Long Bay. It covers an area of about 2,2 square kilometers. As a tourist hub, Tuan Chau offers a wide array of amenities, accommodations and recreational activities.
Based on the traces and relics unearthed there, Tuan Chau is estimated to have been occupied by prehistoric people around 3000-5000 years ago. During the war, it was well-known as a strategic outpost for defending Vietnam’s border.
Surrounded by emerald water, the island boasts two beautiful beaches, a modern and spacious Tuan Chau Harbor and magnificent hilltop views. The nature’s beauty, biodiversity and time-honored history make this charming Ha Long Bay’s island an idyllic nature getaway from the urban bustle.
It is free to enter Tuan Chau Island Quang Ninh and visit Tuan Chau beaches. Yet to enjoy entertaining activities, visitors need to pay a small amount of money. The entrance fee to Tuan Chau International Entertainment Center costs 350,000 VND/person and is free for children of under 1 meter in height.
It is ideal for tourists to visit the island between April and October when the combination of weather and nature’s beauty reach its finest. If you are bothered about the crowds or the budget, remember to avoid the weekends or holidays as there will be a spike in the number of visitors to the island at this time and the prices generally go up.
2. How to get to Tuan Chau Island Quang Ninh?
Tuan Chau used to be a secluded island. Now that the facilities there are developed, moving from the mainland to the island becomes much easier. If you travel from Hanoi or other neighboring northern provinces, you can get to Tuan Chau Island Ha Long by coach, motorbike or train:
- By coach: It normally takes two and a half hours to move from My Dinh or Giap Bat coach station Hanoi to Tuan Chau Quang Ninh. The ticket costs 180,000-250,000 VND for one person. You can also catch the coach to Bai Chay and then get to Tuan Chau either by renting a motorbike or catching a taxi.
- By motorbike/private car: This means of transport is ideal for adventurous expats. If you depart from Hanoi, follow Highway 5 (through Hai Duong province) or National Highway 1A (through Bac Ninh province) to get to Tuan Chau Ha Long. Remember to bring a map along or carefully follow the Google map instruction in order not to get lost.
- By train: This is the safest way to reach Tuan Chau Island. A Ha Long Express train ticket at Gia Lam station costs about 120,000 VND/person.
On the other hand, if you depart from Ho Chi Minh City, it is advisable that you travel by plane to arrive at Cat Bi airport (Hai Phong) or Van Don airport (Quang Ninh) first. It takes about 30 minutes from Cat Bi to Tuan Chau and 1 hour from Van Don airport to the island if you take a taxi.
3. Where to stay near Tuan Chau Ha Long?
With regard to accommodation, there are a plethora of options ranging from affordable lovely homestays to world-class luxury hotels and resorts. One of the top-rated hotels and resorts is Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long.
Located in Reu Island, Bai Chay, Ha Long city, just a 15-20 minute drive away from Tuan Chau Island, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long is the first and only resort in northern Vietnam to be built entirely on the sea.
In addition to the architecture inspired by the French Rennes theater, the hotel also offers an outdoor swimming pool of up to 1,200 square meters, 3 private beaches and green premises. Notably, well-appointed rooms are designed with large balconies for a spectacular view of the bay.
The five-star services and the impeccable blend of eastern and western culinary cultures at Vinpearl Resorts & Spa Ha Long will be a perfect addition to your experience at Tuan Chau Island Vietnam. It is also convenient to visit other tourist attractions from Vinpearl Ha Long such as Mat Rong Island, Quang Ninh Museum and Bai Chay beach.
>>> Book rooms at Vinpearl Resorts & Spa Ha Long for a luxurious and exceptional traveling experience.
4. Best things to do in Tuan Chau Island Vietnam
4.1. Enjoying beach activities
Tuan Chau beaches in Ha Long Bay, Quang Ninh Province are more of a tropical paradise than a mere beach. Backed by grandiose cliffs and dense woods, they boast lovely soft white sand, lush vegetation, palm trees and clear blue waters . There are two mesmerizing beaches on the island that are ideal for some beach activities.
Stroll on the warm sand, wallow in the waters or idly sunbathe on a lounger while immersing in the beauty of nature and you may never want to leave. All of the natural gifts will wash off the tension and nuisance to reboot your life.
If you want something more energy-consuming, then kayaking, surfing and riding a water scooter surely deserve a position in your must-try list. Or if you are not really into beach-related activities, get your backpack and set off on a journey into the green forests to explore the mystical beauty and the “hidden gems” of Mother Nature on Tuan Chau Island.
4.2. Visiting Tuan Chau Park
Tuan Chau Park is a true wonderland for not only kids but also adults like us to enjoy to our fullest. Apart from a kid-friendly games world for children, there are other activities for thrill-seekers such as a roller coaster, sky drop,... The amusement park also holds several marvelous water shows with dolphins, seals, crocodiles and sea lions.
The highlight there is the oyster-shaped amphitheater for water music shows covering an area of 2.5 hectares. It can hold up to 12,000 people. The modern laser lighting system, together with ear-catching music and water fountains, will deliver outstanding and surreal performances that make you feel like you are visiting the Colosseum of the old Roman Empire.
To enter Tuan Chau Park, tourists need to pay 350,000 VND/person (2022 updated) except children of under 1 meter in height.
4.3. Visiting famous tourist attractions near Tuan Chau Island Vietnam
Apart from Tuan Chau, Ha Long also has many tourist attractions. Here are a few destinations you can find in the vicinity:
- Ha Long Bay: It was named among the 7 wonders of the world in 2011 and recognized as a World Natural Heritage site in 1994 by UNESCO. Being home to 14 endemic floral species and around 60 endemic faunal species, with a 120-kilometer-long coastline, 1600 islands and islets and countless limestone cliffs, Ha Long Bay is always in the list of highly recommended tourist destinations when traveling to Vietnam.
- Bai Chay Beach: Featuring a 1000-meter-long coastline, Bai Chay beach is the largest artificial beach in Ha Long City. Just 15-minute drive away from Tuan Chau Quang Ninh, the beach offers diverse entertainment activities and numerous picturesque backgrounds for admirable photos. At Bai Chay Beach, tourists can rent bicycles for some wellness rides along the coast or rent kites to relive their childhood.
- Lan Ha Bay: The bay is situated to the south of Ha Long Bay, between Quang Ninh and Hai Phong. Boasting a pristine beauty with magnificent limestone outcrops, white-sand beaches and underwater biodiversity which includes more than 200 species of fish, 400 species of arthropod and numerous hard and soft corals, Lan Ha is an idyllic spot for diving enthusiasts. Tourists can take an overnight boat tour to explore the entire beauty of this bay.
- Reu Island: Lauded as a miniature Dubai of Quang Ninh province, Reu Island strikes visitors with an untouched and romantic beauty. It is the natural habitat of many rare species of birds. Reu Island also features the world-class Vinpearl Resort and Spa Ha Long which pledges to deliver an exceptional experience to customers.
5. What to eat in Tuan Chau Island Ha Long Bay?
Located in the coastal city, Tuan Chau Quang Ninh offers tourists a variety of fresh seafood. To get a taste of the island, here are some of the highly-recommended dishes that are worth trying in your journey:
- Ha Long Squid Pie: As a famous specialty of Quang Ninh, Ha Long Squid Pie is definitely a must-try dish for every visitor. The squids used to make the dish must be fresh and thick. After being ground manually, the squid is blended with pork, shrimp, garlic, scallion, herbs and other condiments.
- Mangrove mud clam: This is one of the peculiar dishes of Tuan Chau Quang Ninh. Mangrove mud clam is hard to catch, hence, the price is certainly not low. However, its exceptional quality and flavor are surely worth every single penny you spend.
- Horseshoe crab: This rare sea creature can be cooked into a panoply of scrumptious and nutritious dishes. According to the locals, the liver and intestine of horseshoe crabs are extremely poisonous as they usually eat jellyfish. Therefore, it demands a lot of labor and attention to get rid of all toxic parts from the crab. Having been processed thoroughly, it will be marinated with different spices before being grilled, stir-fried with other garnishes or served with rice porridge.
>>> For a taste of western and eastern cuisines alongside a luxurious experience with five-star services and accommodations, book rooms at Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long
Finding a place that has stunning beaches, lush vegetation, diverse fauna and floral, excellent amenities and accommodations, yet only requires a modest budget, seems to be a nearly impossible task. But Tuan Chau Island Quang Ninh ticks all of the right boxes. The enchanting nature’s beauty together with the exotic culinary adventure and riveting activities there will make your travel experience unforgettable.
With the comprehensive guide in this article, hopefully you will have the necessary information to set up your plan and itinerary to enjoy yourself to the fullest at Tuan Chau Quang Ninh. And don’t hesitate to book rooms at Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long for all five-star services and a dream-like journey.
- Bai Tu Long Bay: A journey into the majestic scenery of Quang Ninh Vietnam
- Ti Top Island: An ultimate guide to the pearl in the heart of Ha Long Bay