Exploring stunning landscapes by motorbike on a Vietnam travel tour is thrilling, offering a unique way to witness the country's beauty. From rugged mountains to winding coastal roads, Vietnam is a paradise for adventure-seeking riders. To tackle a challenging tour, choosing suitable Vietnam motorbikes are essential. Follow our guide to get valuable insights for an unforgettable Vietnam motorbike trip.
1. Popular brands and types of Vietnam motorbikes
Travel enthusiasts have a plethora of options to choose from for their Vietnam motorbike tours, from gas-powered to electric motorbike that offer diverse designs tailored to individual tastes. Let’s discover some of the most ideal Vietnam motorcycles for touring below.
1.1. Gas-powered Vietnam motorbikes
For off-road adventures in Vietnam, you will encounter steep slopes, rough trails, and unpredictable paths. That's why it's crucial to choose Vietnam motorbikes with powerful engines. Gas-powered motorbikes are renowned for their strong engine that can handle different terrains effectively. We recommend that you consider leading brands that have been dominating the gas-powered Vietnam motorbike market, such as:
- Honda: Honda has been the world's largest motorbike manufacturer since 1959. Honda motorbikes in Vietnam, such as Air Blade, Wave, Dream, SH, etc., are known for their smooth operation and high quality, making them trusted choices for many people.
- Yamaha: Established in 1955, Yamaha remains a top competitor of Honda. Their Vietnam motorbikes are highly regarded for quality. Yamaha's popular products in Vietnam’s market include Exciter, Jupiter, Nozza, etc.
- Suzuki: Another motorbike manufacturer from Japan, Suzuki is the top choice of those who love sporty styles. Suzuki's popular motorbike models include Sport and Raider.
Make sure the motorbike you choose has enough horsepower and torque for off-road riding, enabling you to overcome any obstacles you might face along the way during your trip.
1.2. Vietnamese electric motorbikes
In recent years, eco-conscious travelers have embraced the trend of electric motorbikes. These Vietnam motorbikes offer a sustainable option for exploring the country, a clean alternative that perfectly aligns with the preferences of environmentally aware riders.
VinFast, one of the leading Vietnam motorcycle manufacturers, boasts a diverse range of models designed to cater to various preferences, such as Evo200, Feliz S, Theon S, and more. With advancements in battery technology, these Vietnam electric motorcycles provide impressive charging capabilities, ensuring that travelers can cover significant distances without worrying about running out of power.
2. Is it safe to ride a motorcycle in Vietnam?
If you are thinking about riding Vietnam motorbikes, it is essential to understand the challenges involved. Vietnam has diverse weather conditions, ranging from heavy rain in the monsoon season to scorching heat in summer. During bad weather, riders need to be extra careful. Wearing suitable rain gear and slowing down can prevent accidents on slippery roads.
The roads in Vietnam can be tricky, with potholes, uneven surfaces, and unexpected obstacles like animals or debris. Staying alert is vital when dealing with these hazards. Here are some tips to stay safe:
- Always wear a helmet: A good helmet is your best protection against head injuries.
- Wear protective clothing: Durable jackets and pants can safeguard your skin in case of accidents.
- Use high-quality tires: Good tires improve handling and reduce accidents caused by blowouts.
- Carry out regular maintenance: Keeping your Vietnam motorbikes well-maintained prevents breakdowns on the road, ensuring a safer ride.
>>> Is Vietnam safe? Check out these useful tips for a memorable trip in Vietnam!
3. Things to know about Vietnam motorbike rental
3.1. Is it recommended to rent Vietnam motorbikes?
Renting motorbikes in Vietnam is common, allowing tourists to explore every corner of the country and experiencing the local life and natural beauty firsthand. Renting Vietnam motorbikes as a foreigner is straightforward, you just need to provide a photocopy of your passport and another form of identification with a photo at the rental shop.
Vietnam motorbike laws require riders of motorbikes from 51cc to have a valid driving license. Therefore, you can rent a Vietnam 50cc motorbike instead to travel without a driving license. However, if you plan to stay in Vietnam for a long time, we suggest you take the Vietnam motorbike license examination.
3.2. How much does it cost to rent Vietnam motorbikes?
Vietnam bike rental fees do not vary much among shops; they mainly depend on the type and quality of the motorbike. The rental fees cost averagely $5 - $10 per day without gasoline. In smaller cities, the fee will be lower than in big cities. Additionally, certain shop owners may request customers to provide a deposit amounting to 50-70% of the motorbike's value.
3.3. Where to rent Vietnam motorbikes?
Shops that rent Vietnam motorbikes, such as Hanoi motorbike rental and Da Nang motorbike rental, are readily available in major cities and tourist spots due to the high demand. Many travel agencies and hotels also offer this service in cities like Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Ha Long. These are all popular destinations in Vietnam, so you will find it easy to rent Vietnam motorbikes.
3.4. Useful tips for renting Vietnam motorbikes
If you don't have local friends or acquaintances experienced in renting Vietnam motorbikes, here is a checklist to make sure your bike is safe to ride:
- Request a helmet and lock, which are usually provided with the bike.
- Before signing the contract and paying the deposit, carefully check the bike's condition. Focus on essential safety features like brakes, tires, lights, horn, and lock.
- Check the engine. Start the motorbike and take a quick test drive around the block.
- Thoroughly examine the bike for any scratches or damages. Inform the owner about any issues you find. Newer bikes are generally more reliable.
- Check the gas tank. Go around the motorbike to see if there are any oil or water leaks.
- Inquire about the locations of nearby gas stations to stay prepared throughout your trip.
4. The best guide to touring Vietnam on a motorbike
4.1. Popular Vietnamese motorbike routes and destinations
Once you've got your bike, the next question is: which route should you take for your Vietnam motorbike tour? There are several iconic destinations that promise breathtaking experiences with Vietnam motorbikes:
- Ma Pi Leng Pass offers awe-inspiring views of the mountains and valleys, making it a favorite among thrill-seekers.
- Hai Van Pass, renowned for its coastal beauty, offers panoramic views of the beach, making it a must-visit for nature enthusiasts.
- O Quy Ho Pass takes you through lush green landscapes and charming villages, providing a glimpse into the serene countryside of Vietnam.
Each Vietnam motorbike route offers a unique adventure, allowing you to immerse yourself in the diverse beauty of Vietnam.
4.2. Tips for a memorable Vietnamese motorbike tour
Embarking on a Vietnam motorbikes tour is a thrilling adventure, and with a few essential tips, you can make it truly unforgettable:
- Be aware of challenging road conditions: Heavy Vietnam motorbike traffic and poor roads are common challenges for motorbike riders in Vietnam, while highways are primarily reserved for cars and trucks.
- Prepare for the chaos: Expect stalls, people, and even livestock to line the roadsides. Don’t be offended by the potential constant honking, which serves as both warnings and communication tools, especially on winding roads and blind spots.
- Blend in and adapt: Following the flow of local traffic is crucial, given that motorbikes are the preferred means of transportation for over 90% of Vietnamese people. Acting like a part of the stream will enhance safety.
- Stay alert and engage the locals: Stay vigilant, use your horn, and follow the lead of experienced locals.
After your thrilling adventure with Vietnam motorbikes, it's essential to consider a comfortable retreat. Vinpearl stands out as an excellent choice for your stay in Vietnam, offering exceptional accommodations. Vinpearl’s hotels and resorts feature well-appointed rooms and top-notch amenities including pools, gyms, kids' clubs, and restaurants.
Moreover, you can enjoy VinWonders, a paradise of entertainment featuring exciting games and lively shows. Regardless of your age, VinWonders ensures an unforgettable experience, making it a perfect destination for visitors seeking a great time in Vietnam.
Embarking on a journey with Vietnam motorbikes demands thorough preparation and research. Navigating the bustling city streets can be daunting, making road safety knowledge essential. Hopefully, our tips will assist you in staying secure while maximizing the thrill of your motorbike adventure throughout Vietnam.