If you have a genuine appreciation for Vietnamese food, be sure to include Vietnamese beef curry in your list of must-try dishes during your Vietnam travel. It is a harmonious fusion of flavors and textures, featuring fragrant curry, hearty broth, sweet vegetables, and tender beef. This specialty promises an extraordinary culinary experience while you are in Vietnam.
1. Highlights of Vietnamese beef curry
Curry is a famous dish originating from India, derived from the Tamil word “kari”, which means “sauce”. This delectable dish is known for its intricate blend of spices and herbs, commonly including turmeric, cumin, cilantro, ginger, and chili peppers. Today, curry is a global favorite, with many countries adding their own twists and creating unique variations.
As a famous Vietnamese food, Vietnamese curry is known for its infrequent spiciness. It is characterized by its rich, sweet, and creamy flavor, courtesy of the use of coconut milk. Vietnamese beef curry is typically served with bread, white rice, and vermicelli. It is easy to understand why people often look for a hot bowl of curry on a winter day.
This dish is also easy to prepare. The ingredients for 4-5 servings consist of:
- 800g of beef brisket
- 50ml of red wine
- 50ml of coconut milk
- 30g of clarified butter
- 5-6 cinnamon leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic, ginger
- 3 lemongrass stalks
- 1 large potato, 1 large onion, 1 large carrot
- Seasonings: curry powder, salt, black pepper, seasoning powder, tomato sauce, chili (optional).
- Wheat flour
2. How to make Vietnamese beef curry (Ca ri bo)?
Step 1: Prepare the ingredients
- Beef: Wash, drain, then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Carrot and potato: Peel, wash, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Lemongrass, garlic, onion, chili, and ginger: Wash, crush, and finely chop.
Step 2: Marinate the beef
- Marinate the beef with 1 tablespoon of curry powder, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, 2 teaspoons of sugar and red wine
- Mix well and let it sit for about 1 hour for the beef to absorb the flavors.
Step 3: Cook Vietnamese beef curry with coconut milk
- Saute minced garlic with butter, then add the marinated beef and stir-fry over high heat until it browns. Add 1 tablespoon of curry powder and stir-fry.
- Cover the meat with water, boil the mixture, skim off any impurities, then reduce the heat and simmer. When the meat is tender, add the potato and carrot. Simmer until they reach the desired level of tenderness.
- Add coconut milk, onion, and seasonings. If you prefer, add a bit of flour and simmer for a few more minutes. Ladle into a bowl and enjoy it hot.
As one of the finest Vietnamese beef dishes, Vietnamese beef curry features tender beef, lustrous sauce, and creamy coconut milk, capable of satisfying even the pickiest eaters.
3. Where to buy beef curry powder in Vietnam?
In Vietnam, you can purchase beef curry powder at various places. It is available at local markets such as Ben Thanh Market in Ho Chi Minh City or Dong Xuan Market in Hanoi, as well as most supermarkets, spice shops, and online retailers across the country.
However, to savor authentic Vietnamese beef curry, it is highly advisable to purchase curry powder from long-established shops in Ho Chi Minh City. Curry was brought here by Indian immigrants in the early 1870s. Since then, the diverse culture in Ho Chi Minh City has led to the creation of numerous unique fusions that cannot be found elsewhere, including curry.
The origins of curry powder in Saigon can be traced back to two early spice vendors at Ben Thanh Market, known as “Ba Tam” and “Anh Hai” spice shops. They have long served as the main providers of curry powder and various seasonings for local restaurants. Currently, their spices are conveniently packaged and distributed to supermarkets, making them widely available nationwide.
In addition to the flavorful Vietnamese beef curry, Vietnamese chefs have also creatively crafted many other variations of curry with distinctive flavors such as Vietnamese chicken curry, duck curry, goat curry, etc. These dishes will help you further indulge in Vietnam’s distinct flavors.
Besides exploring Vietnam's unique cuisine, you should not miss out on discovering famous tourist destinations in Vietnam such as Hanoi, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Ha Long. They all captivate tourists with their stunning natural landscapes, cultural attractions, and exciting activities. If you are looking for a one-of-a-kind stay in Vietnam, consider experiencing the culinary delights and accommodation services of Vinpearl’s hotels and resorts.
Situated at prime locations throughout Vietnam, Vinpearl offers a range of amenities and services to make your stay exceptionally enjoyable. Additionally, don't miss the chance to explore the entertainment paradise of VinWonders, a must-visit for families, thrill-seekers, and anyone seeking unforgettable memories during their Vietnamese trip.
Vietnamese beef curry is more than just a culinary delight; it is a journey of rich flavor and cultural fusion. With the combination of fragrant spices, tender beef, and creamy coconut milk, this dish offers a perfect balance of textures and tastes. Whether enjoyed at a local eatery or prepared at home, it showcases the culinary diversity and creativity that define Vietnamese cuisine.