Bun bo Hue noodles is a beloved Vietnamese dish that has captured the hearts and taste buds of food enthusiasts worldwide. Hailing from the city of Hue, nestled in the central region of Vietnam, this flavorful and aromatic soup is an absolute delight for culinary adventurers. With its rich history, diverse ingredients, and distinctive blend of flavors, bun bo Hue noodles offer a gastronomic experience that is second to none.
1. Origin and unique taste of Hue beef noodle soup
Hue beef noodle soup's origin dates back to the 16th century, with a woman named Bun being the mastermind behind its creation. She had an extraordinary skill in noodle-making and ingeniously combined tender beef with a flavorful broth, giving birth to the exquisite dish we now know as bun bo Hue.
The recipe was carefully preserved and passed down through generations, captivating the hearts of locals and beyond. As time went on, the dish evolved, incorporating various ingredients like pork hock, pork blood pudding, and crab sausage, enhancing its taste and complexity.
Today, bun bo Hue proudly represents the rich Vietnamese culinary heritage, delighting food enthusiasts with its unique blend of lemongrass-infused broth, savory beef, and harmonious flavors.
2. Easy recipe to make authentic bun bo Hue noodles
- 1.2 kilograms of pork trotters
- 500 grams of beef shank or flank
- 2 kilograms of thick rice vermicelli
- 1 onion
- A few shallots and scallion heads
- 1 bundle of lemongrass
- 1 lime
- 2 chilies
- Chili powder and satay sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Hue shrimp paste
- 1 packet of Hue beef vermicelli spice mix
- 300 grams of pig's or cow's blood
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Fish sauce, salt, seasoning powder, chicken stock powder, sugar, cooking oil
- Vietnamese balm, perilla leaves, shredded banana blossoms, shredded water spinach, bean sprouts
- Clean and soak the pork trotters in salted water for about 15 minutes, then take them out and rinse with water.
- Cut them into pieces. Next, boil water and blanch them for about 10 minutes.
- Fill a pot with 3.5–4 liters of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the pork trotters and beef shanks to the pot and let them simmer.
- Skim off any impurities when the water starts to boil.
- Add 1 bundle of crushed lemongrass and 1 onion to the pot, and continue simmering for about 40 minutes.
- Add the stirred and filtered Hue shrimp paste to the pot.
- Continue to simmer for about 15 minutes, then add scallion heads, roasted sesame seeds, water, and a packet of Hue beef vermicelli spice mix.
- Add 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, half a tablespoon of seasoning powder, half a tablespoon of chicken stock powder, and half a tablespoon of roasted rice powder.
- Adjust the seasoning until it reaches the desired taste, then turn off the heat.
- Parboil the rice vermicelli in boiling water, then place it in a bowl.
- Arrange the meat, sausage, pork hock, and pig's blood on top.
- Sprinkle some chopped herbs and thinly sliced lemongrass on it, and ladle the broth into the bowl.
- Serve with blanched water spinach, shredded banana blossoms, bean sprouts, fresh herbs, lime, chili, and satay sauce.
- Add more chopped scallions, chili, and pepper to enhance the aroma and taste of the bun bo Hue noodles.
3. Best Bun bo Hue restaurants where you will savor to the last drop
3.1. Bun bo Hue O Ty
- Address: 33/9/5 Alley 3, Nguyen Cong Tru, Hue
- Opening hours: 6:00 AM - 9:00 PM
- Prices: 20,000 VND - 35,000 VND
Bun Bo Hue O Ty is a restaurant known for serving an authentic and flavorful version of Bun Bo Hue noodles. Their rich broth, infused with aromatic lemongrass and tender beef, captivates the taste buds of both locals and tourists. With a cozy ambiance and reasonable prices, Bun Bo Hue O Ty offers a delightful dining experience.
The restaurant's commitment to using high-quality ingredients and its convenient location make it a favorite spot for food enthusiasts seeking an authentic taste of Vietnamese culinary heritage in Hue.
3.2. Bun bo Hue O Cuong
- Address: 6 Tran Thuc Nhan, Vinh Ninh, Hue
- Operating hours: 6:30 AM - 11:00 AM
- Price: 30,000 VND - 40,000 VND
Bun bo Hue O Cuong is a must-visit for lovers of the iconic Vietnamese noodle soup. Operating from 6:30 AM to 11:00 AM, this eatery offers a limited but focused menu, ensuring each dish is crafted to perfection.
The highlight of O Cuong lies in its deeply flavorful and aromatic broth, carefully prepared with a harmonious blend of lemongrass, shrimp paste, and spices. Combined with tender beef and thick rice vermicelli, the taste experience is simply delightful.
Priced at 30,000 VND, the bowl of bun bo Hue here offers excellent value for money, attracting locals and tourists alike to savor the rich Vietnamese culinary heritage in each savory spoonful.
3.3. Bun bo Hue Me Keo
- Address: 20 Bach Dang, Phu Cat, Hue
- Operating hours: 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM
- Prices: 25,000 VND - 60,000 VND
Bun bo Hue Me Keo is a culinary gem that has stood the test of time. With an impressive 70-year history, this eatery offers a nostalgic and authentic experience of bun bo Hue.
Operating from 7:00 AM to 10:00 AM, it is a perfect spot for early risers seeking a flavorful breakfast. For a taste of history and a bowl of unforgettable bun bo Hue, Me Keo is the go-to restaurant!
3.4. Bun bo Hue Mu Roi
- Address: 48 Nguyen Chi Dieu, Thuan Thanh, Hue
- Operating hours: 6:30 AM - 9:30 AM
- Prices: 25,000 VND - 35,000 VND
Bun bo Hue Mu Roi is one of the best places to enjoy delicious Hue beef noodle soup, attracting many tourists and local residents alike. The bun bo here is delectable, with a rich and flavorful broth, and the beef and pork are exceptionally tasty.
The specialty here is the delicious crab rolls, which are highly praised by customers. If you want to try it with the crab cake, do not hesitate, as it is super delicious! The bun bo is also served with a variety of fresh and finely chopped herbs, making the dining experience even more delightful. The restaurant takes great care of the accompanying fresh vegetables, ensuring their freshness, cleanliness, and safety.
3.5. Bun bo Hue Hem
- Address: 17 Hung Vuong, Phu Hoi, Hue
- Opening hours: 6:00 AM - 9:30 PM
- Price: 35,000 VND
Conveniently situated just about 1 kilometer away from Trang Tien Bridge, bun bo Hue Hem is an easily accessible and well-known spot for both locals and tourists exploring Hue. The highlight of their bun bo lies in its vibrant yellow broth, which exudes a rich and flavorful taste.
Each bowl is generously topped with tender and rare beef slices, sizable bone pieces, and mouthwatering golden brown meatballs, all complemented by an ample serving of vermicelli!
3.6. Bun bo Hue Ba Gai
- Address: 11A Hanoi, Vinh Ninh, Hue
- Opening hours: 6:00 AM - 2:00 AM (The next day)
- Prices: 35,000 VND
This is one of the best bun bo Hue restaurants for late-night foodies. The vermicelli noodles here are thick, and each bowl comes with plenty of meatballs, crab meatballs, beef, pork hock, tendon, and blood, accompanied by onions and fresh herbs.
The bowl is filled to the brim and stands out with its vibrant yellow color from tomatoes and spicy chili. If you are looking for a hearty bowl after the sun goes down, Bun bo Hue Ba Gai is the best place to be.
When you are in Hue, you simply cannot miss the chance to explore its famous tourist attractions. And what could be a more delightful way to energize yourself for the adventure ahead than by savoring the exquisite flavors of Hue beef noodle soup?
And the adventure does not have to stop there! From Hue, you have the option to travel to Hoi An. This place offer their own unique charms and experiences that will undoubtedly enrich your journey even further.
To make your stay even more memorable, consider experiencing the luxury and comfort of Vinpearl Hoi An. These world-class resorts provide the perfect sanctuary to unwind after your explorations. With their impeccable amenities and breathtaking views, you will find yourself in the lap of luxury and relaxation.
One destination that you should not miss is VinWonders Nam Hoi An, an extraordinary entertainment complex that promises endless fun with thrilling rides, captivating shows, and more.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Hoi An for your trips to the ancient town and coastal city, respectively!
Bun bo Hue noodles are more than just a dish; they represent a culinary masterpiece deeply rooted in the cultural fabric of Hue. Their distinct flavors and aromatic spices take us on a sensory journey, allowing us to connect with the rich history and traditions of this ancient city. If you find yourself in Hue, make sure to savor at least one bowl! It will leave you with a deeper appreciation for the rich tapestry of Vietnamese cuisine and the warmth of its people.