Playing Christmas games is a beloved tradition during Christmas. From quick Christmas games for large groups to printable Christmas games, these festive activities add extra joy to the season. In this article, you can find a list of the top 41 best ideas for Christmas games to choose from. Whether you are into indoor or outdoor activities, these Xmas games offer great opportunities for bonding and creating cherished memories with loved ones.
1. Quick Christmas “Minute to win it” games to play this holiday
1.1. Toy Touchdown
If you are in search of a hilarious Christmas game for family, look no further than Toy Touchdown!
- Supplies: Christmas figurines, a Christmas basket, duct tape, and pantyhose.
- How to play: Players must pass small toys under their legs and have a teammate catch them in a Christmas basket fastened to the second player's back. The competition is fierce as teams race to be the first to capture all the items within a single minute.
1.2. Elf Toss
When you are on the lookout for an easy Christmas game for preschoolers, give Elf Toss a try.
- Supplies: Some plastic elves and holiday buckets.
- How to play: Players are given one minute to attempt tossing plastic elves into a row of buckets. To emerge victorious, players must skillfully land the elves in each bucket within the allocated time.
1.3. Reindeer Wrap
Delve into this DIY Christmas game for adults and kids - Reindeer Wrap!
- Supplies: Brown crepe paper and a reindeer headband.
- How to play this interactive Christmas game: Wrap a teammate from head to toe with brown crepe paper and crown them with the iconic reindeer headband to seal the deal. The team that completes this task in the shortest time wins!
1.4. Face The Gingerbread Man
Face The Gingerbread Man - one of the most hilarious Christmas games.
- Supplies: Gingerbread man cookies.
- How to play: Each participant positions a gingerbread man cookie on their forehead and must skillfully maneuver it down to their mouth without using hands. The first person to successfully eat the cookie wins.
1.5. Holiday Charades
Elevate the merriment with Christmas Charades - a quick Christmas game that everyone knows.
- Supplies: Cards featuring Christmas-themed charade phrases and a bag or Santa hat to contain them.
- How to play: All the cards are placed inside the bag or hat. Players have the option to either act out the items on the cards or sketch them. Let the guessing games begin! The team that successfully identifies the most items wins!
1.6. The Nose Knows
Engage your sense of smell with The Nose Knows.
- Supplies: Some holiday-scented foods or items, such as an orange, a cinnamon stick, gingerbread cookies, etc.
- How to play: Put these items inside empty boxes. Each individual takes a whiff to identify the hidden treasure. The team that correctly identifies the most items wins.
1.7. Rudolph Race
Rudolph Race is an ideal choice for a team building Christmas game for office party.
- Supplies: Red pom-poms, spoons, vaseline, and a Rudolph poster.
- How to play: Each player is provided with a red pom-pom and a spoonful of vaseline. They need to be the first to affix the pom-pom from their noses to Rudolph's nose, located on the opposite side of the room.
2. Printable Christmas games to get everyone in the spirit
If you are a fan of printable Christmas games and activities, don’t ignore the list of Xmas games below.
2.1. Christmas trivia questions
Printable Christmas trivia questions are an excellent Christmas game in office for employees or traditional Christmas get-togethers. They also work perfectly for virtual Christmas games.
- Supplies: Some cards with Christmas trivia questions or a list of riddles.
There are several ways to make use of these Christmas trivia questions:
- Place them on the table, allowing participants to take turns asking each other the questions.
- Print out a copy for everyone so they can write down their answers.
- Pose a question to the entire group at once. The individual who can respond the fastest earns a point for that question.
2.2. Christmas bingo
Bingo is one of the few Christmas games with gifts that accommodate participants of all ages. You can choose from a wide range of themes, such as delightful Christmas images or the titles of beloved Christmas movies.
- Supplies: Bingo cards, bingo markers, a calling sheet, and some enticing prizes.
- How to play: The game proceeds as participants mark off called items on their bingo cards. The objective is to be the first to complete five squares in a row - either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally - on the bingo board. When a participant achieves this, they will shout "bingo" and receive a well-deserved gift.
2.3. Christmas matching
When it comes to board games for Christmas, a matching game is an ideal Christmas game for preschoolers.
- Supplies: Christmas cards. Each image should have at least one corresponding pair.
- How to play: Begin by assigning five cards to each player, while the remaining cards are placed in a facedown draw pile. The first player asks one of the other players if they possess a specific card needed to create a match with the card they are holding. Continue taking turns asking for cards and making matches until all the matches have been successfully created.
2.4. Sing Me An Emoji
Sing Me an Emoji is a fun Christmas game that employs Christmas-themed emojis to depict the titles of various holiday songs.
- Supplies: Cards or sheets of paper featuring a series of emojis representing a holiday song.
- How to play: Distribute the prepared cards or sheets to all players. The players guess the correct names of Christmas songs as depicted by the emojis. Within a set time frame, the player who provides the most correct answers emerges as the victor.
2.5. Christmas Scattergories
Christmas Scattergories is a traditional Christmas game that offers a fun challenge to all players.
- Supplies: Printable game pages with questions, pencils or pens, and an alphabet dice.
- How to play: Roll the alphabet dice and set a timer for three minutes. Players must think of answers for each question, starting with the letter rolled. When the timer expires, all the players must stop writing. Any answer that matches another player's are crossed out. Players earn one point for each uncrossed answer. The player with the most correct answers wins the round.
2.6. Christmas Tree Dice Game
The Christmas Tree Dice Game is a delightful and easy Christmas game that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults.
- Supplies: Sheets of paper with Christmas tree images and various colored circles, M&M chocolates, and dice.
- How to play: All players begin by rolling the dice and filling in the circles on their cards with M&Ms based on the number they roll. The first person to fill their card wins!
2.7. Don't Eat Frosty
Don't Eat Frosty is a Christmas game that both children and adults adore, as it involves the delightful act of indulging in candy.
- Supplies: A printed board featuring images of snowmen and a bag of your favorite candies or cookies.
- How to play: Place a small candy or cookie on each snowman image on the board. Select one person to leave the room while the remaining players secretly choose one snowman as the designated "Frosty." The person who left the room returns, and they begin to pick up and eat one candy or cookie from the board. When they select the secret snowman (Frosty), everyone shouts "Don't Eat Frosty!"
2.8. Christmas Word Scramble
Christmas Word Scramble is a Christmas game for the classroom. It is among excellent games for Christmas party in school.
- Supplies: Worksheets containing Christmas-related words with their letters jumbled, along with pens.
- How to play: The players’ task is to unscramble the letters to form meaningful Christmas-related words. Within a specified time frame, the team or individual who unscrambles the most words correctly wins this Christmas game.
2.9. Holiday Scavenger Hunt
Holiday Scavenger Hunt is an entertaining outdoor Christmas game designed to get you moving and explore your school or neighborhood.
- Supplies: A list of Christmas-themed items and a map of the play area (optional).
- How to play: Hide the items within the designated play area. Move around the play area in pursuit of the hidden items, checking them off the list as you find them. The individual or team that locates the most hidden items in the shortest amount of time wins.
2.10. Christmas Guess Who
Christmas Guess Who Game is among the best Christmas guessing games. This Christmas game for family or close friends offers a chance to reminisce.
- Supplies: Cards featuring questions related to the people at the party.
- How to play: Have all the players gather in a cozy circle. Each player selects one question card. The players take turns answering their selected questions accurately.
3. Fun Christmas games to play with kids & families
Below are a variety of ideas for Christmas games for families. You can also choose them as classroom Christmas games.
"Telephone" is a fun Christmas game that requires no preparation or equipment, where each person takes turns inventing a Christmas-themed phrase. They then whisper it to the person next to them, who in turn whispers it to the next person, and so on. When it reaches the last person, they must say the phrase they heard out loud and see if it matches the original phrase.
3.2. Candy Cane Hunt
Candy Cane Hunt draws inspiration from Easter Egg Hunt but features candy canes instead. It can either be an indoor Christmas game or an outdoor Christmas game.
- Supplies: Plenty of candy canes.
- How to play: Hide the candy canes all over the designated play area. Let the players search for them. Finally, everyone counts the candy canes they have found.
3.3. White Elephant
If you have never experienced the White Elephant game, you are missing out! It is one of the most fun Christmas games with gift exchanges.
- Supplies: Everyone attending the party must bring a gift for this Christmas game.
- How to play: Players draw numbers to determine the order in which they will pick their gifts. Sit in a circle based on the drawn order. The first player picks a gift from the pile and opens it. The next player can then decide whether to take the first player's gift or choose a completely new one.
3.4. Reindeer Antler Toss
Few Christmas games are more ideal to play during the holiday than Reindeer Antler Toss.
- Supplies: Plastic reindeer antlers and rings that are larger than the antlers.
- How to play: Place the reindeer antlers on a table, with the player standing at a fixed distance. Their task is to accurately throw the rings so that they land and stay on the reindeer antlers. Within a specified time, the team or individual that gets the most rings on the antlers wins.
3.5. DIY Punch Advent Calendar
DIY Punch Advent Calendar can be an enjoyable team building Christmas game that sparks creativity in each participant.
- Supplies: A cardboard box, plastic or paper bowls, tissue paper, double-stick tape, fringe garland, other decorative trims, and 24 gifts.
- How to play this DIY Christmas game:
- Cut 24 holes that are slightly smaller than the openings of the plastic bowls in the cardboard box, with six holes on each side.
- Apply double-stick tape on the sides of the box, between the holes. This will help attach the tissue paper.
- Carefully affix a sheet of tissue paper to the double-stick tape.
- Distribute the gifts into each bowl. Secure the bowls and gifts to the inside of the tissue-covered holes. Do this for all 24 holes.
- Decorate the exterior of the box around the holes with decorative trims to make the gift box more festive.
- Once the calendars are ready, the teams can participate in the game by taking turns punching the holes to tear the paper and discover the surprises hidden inside.
3.6. Stocking Guessing
Stocking Guessing is an entertaining guessing game for Christmas party that both children and adults can enjoy.
- Supplies: Several stockings, each filled with random Christmas items.
- How to play: The game leader numbers the stockings and arranges them on a table. Participants write down their guesses regarding the contents of each stocking. The person who guesses the most items correctly wins.
3.7. Gingerbread Shuffle
Gingerbread Shuffle is a tasty Christmas game that people of all ages can relish.
- Supplies: Gingerbread cookies.
- How to play: Tilt your head back and place a gingerbread cookie on your forehead. When someone says "Go," you must attempt to gently maneuver your head to guide the cookie into your mouth without using your hands.
3.8. Switch Steal Unwrap Dice Game
The Switch Steal Unwrap Dice Game is undoubtedly one of the best gift exchange games!
- Supplies: Everyone attending the party brings a carefully wrapped gift and places it in a central pile.
- How to play:
- When the game begins, the host distributes the gifts randomly until each person has one.
- Choose someone to start the game and provide them with a dice. They roll the dice and perform actions based on the number rolled. For example, rolling a 1 means they switch gifts with the person on their right. Rolling a 2 means switching gifts with the person on their left; Rolling a 3 or a 4 means switching gifts with anyone in the circle and unwrapping the gift if it is not already unwrapped. Rolling a 5 or a 6 means unwrapping your gift.
- After completing the actions, the player passes the dice to the person on their left and a new turn begins.
- The game concludes when the last gift is unwrapped. Everyone keeps the gift they are holding.
3.9. Christmas Limbo
Christmas Limbo is a hilarious Christmas game that demands agility from its participants.
- Supplies: A piece of string or a long pole.
- How to play: Two people are responsible for holding the string or pole, each holding one end. Players take turns limboing under it. Each time someone successfully goes under the line, lower the string or pole a bit. The person who clears the lowest height without fault wins.
3.10. Gingerbread House Competition
Gingerbread House Competition is a traditional Christmas game for both seniors and juniors.
- Supplies: Gingerbread, frosting, candy, chocolate, sprinkles, or any other decorative items.
- How to play: Players will use the provided ingredients to assemble and decorate a gingerbread house. There will be judges to determine which team has created the most beautiful gingerbread house within the specified time frame.
3.11. Christmas Family Feud
Christmas Family Feud is an easy Christmas game for family gatherings, adding a competitive and dramatic element to the festivities.
- Supplies: A buzzer, a list of questions, and a scorecard.
- How to play: Divide the family into two teams. Place a table between the two teams with a buzzer on top. Each team selects its first player. The game host reads a question, and the first person to hit the buzzer has five seconds to answer. If they cannot provide an answer or give an incorrect response, the other team has a chance to answer. Proceed to the second, third, and subsequent players on each team. At the end of the rounds, the group with the most points emerges as the winner!
3.12. Left-right Christmas Game
Left And Right is another good Christmas game with gift exchanges that can be played at the office, in the classroom, or with family.
- Supplies: Each participant brings a wrapped gift to the gathering.
- How to play: The game starts with everyone seated in a circle, each holding their gift. Someone reads a poem or story with frequent occurrences of the words “left” and “right.” Participants follow the verbal cues, passing gifts to the left or right as directed by the story. The game continues until the story ends, at which point everyone keeps the gift they are holding.
4. Festive Christmas board games that everyone will enjoy
Christmas is one of the rare occasions in the year when the whole family comes together. So, don't forget to consider some Christmas board games to make the holiday atmosphere more joyful.
4.1. Christmas Monopoly
Christmas Monopoly is a festive version of the all-time favorite game, featuring reindeer, festive treats, and Christmas shopping. Start with the Monopoly game board and choose your favorite festive tokens. Hold the money distributed by the bank and embark on a tour of your favorite Christmassy places. Invest, trade, and accumulate fortunes to be the first to complete your tower. However, be careful and watch out for taxes, jail, and bankruptcy.
4.2. Ticket To Ride: Nordic Countries
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is a fast-paced strategy Christmas game that takes you on an adventure through Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden. Compete to score points as you collect tokens representing various types of train cars to plan the best route through the enchanting Christmas landscapes. The player who completes their journey the soonest emerges as the victor.
4.3. Articulate Christmas
Articulate Christmas is a classic fast-talking game with a Christmas twist. Choose a game card and attempt to describe as many festive words as you can within a 30-second time frame. For every correct answer, you get to add a piece to your jigsaw puzzle. The first team to complete their jigsaw wins!
4.4. The Best of Christmas
The Best Of Christmas Board Game is a fun Christmas game for family members, designed to test your knowledge of the holiday season. Choose a playing card with questions related to Christmas themes such as Christmas foods, movies, and more. Answer the questions correctly to earn decorative items. The first person to place the star on the top of the Christmas tree wins.
4.5. Ghosts of Christmas
Ghosts of Christmas is a captivating time-traveling adventure Christmas game that you will not want to miss. Each player plays a single card from their hand into one of the three eras: Past, Present, or Future. Then, you will perform various actions, make bets, and engage in strategic thinking to complete all the three eras. The player with the highest score and the most collected wreaths wins the game!
4.6. Beeropoly Beer
Beeropoly Beer is a straightforward Christmas drinking game that is a perfect Christmas game idea for adults. Players take turns rolling dice and moving their game pieces clockwise across the board, completing beer-related challenges as they progress. If your dice roll gives you too many moves to get to the finish by exact count, you cannot move and must take a drink. The game continues until there is one player left.
5. Virtual Christmas games to play online with far-flung friends
For various reasons, you might not be able to gather with your family or loved ones in person during Christmas, but there are plenty of ways to come together virtually with these fun online Christmas games!
5.1. Never Have I Ever
This classic ice-breaker is ideal for larger groups. Participants take turns saying statements that begin with "Never have I ever." Those who have experienced what is mentioned must raise a hand or lower a finger. Those who raise their hand or lower their finger a set number of times lose.
5.2. Holiday Charades
Charades are enjoyable for all ages, and especially, they can be a perfect online Christmas game for students. Bring everyone together in a virtual meeting, share slides with images and quotes related to Christmas songs, books, or movies, and take turns guessing.
5.3. Virtual Christmas Karaoke
Bring the entire family together through a video call or an online meeting application for your virtual Christmas music karaoke session. Once you press play, everyone can join in the singing. It is a fantastic way to bond and celebrate even from afar!
5.4. Holiday Storytime
In this online Christmas game, start by writing two sentences to begin the story. Then, assign each person a number and have them write two lines each of their own. When they are done, read your two lines and call the numbers to have them complete the story. The result is likely to be hilarious!
5.5. Two Truths, One Lie
You can also play this Christmas game online. To participate, one person shares three statements about themselves with the group. Two of these statements are true, while one is a lie. The other players must guess which statement is true and which is not.
5.6. Virtual Christmas Escape Room
This exciting adventure game can be played with friends online. Your mission is to save Christmas by helping Santa escape. All you need is your pens and paper, a strong internet connection, and a sharp mind for deductive reasoning to successfully rescue Santa Claus, all while having a great time online.
In addition to participating in good Christmas games, if possible, consider experiencing Christmas in Vietnam for a memorable holiday. A perfect Vietnam travel itinerary during the Christmas season should include Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Ha Long. Visiting these destinations, you can enhance your experience by enjoying the hospitality of Vinpearl's outstanding hotels and resorts.
With a presence across the entire country, Vinpearl's establishments are committed to providing a world-class experience, offering a range of services for relaxation, dining, and entertainment. To add an extra layer of excitement to your trip, be sure not to miss the opportunity to explore VinWonders' immersive entertainment complexes.
Christmas games are a wonderful way to bring friends and family together during the holiday season. These festive Christmas games and activities, whether played in person or virtually, add an extra layer of fun and excitement to the Christmas celebrations. Whether you opt for classic board games for Christmas, homemade Christmas games, or horror Christmas games for adults, the spirit of togetherness and laughter prevails. With a wide variety of options available, Xmas games make the season merrier. So, gather your loved ones, choose your favorite games, and let the holiday festivities begin with these Christmas games.