When it comes to Hanoi travel and tourism, tourists should not miss out on Hanoi Flag Tower, which has endured the ravages of war and still stands at the heart of Hanoi with a long-standing history. Being a symbol of Vietnam’s independence, this historical site is an ideal spot for any history enthusiast in Vietnam’s capital city.
1. An overview of Hanoi Flag Tower
- Location: 28A Dien Bien Phu, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi
Hanoi Flag Tower was constructed on the grounds of Thang Long Imperial Citadel on Dien Bien Phu Street, opposite Lenin Garden.
- Opening hours
Also located on the grounds of Vietnam Military History Museum, Hanoi Flag Tower is open from 9 AM to 5 PM daily.
- Ticket fee
The ticket to Hanoi Flag Tower costs 20,000 VND per person. Students and those over the age of 60 are eligible for a 50% discount on the ticket fee. Students under the age of 15 and those with revolutionary merit are granted free entrance.
Hanoi Flag Tower was built from 1805 to 1812 under the Nguyen Dynasty. The building has a tower structure and used to function as a vantage point. This is also the reason why the French colonial authorities did not destroy this monument in the period from 1894 to 1897.
On October 10, 1954, the national flag was first flown on the roof of the Flag Tower of Hanoi. The tower was recognized as a historical relic in 1989.
On October 10, 1954, Hanoi Flag Tower witnessed a large number of people flocking here to see the historic moment: the national flag raising ceremony to celebrate Hanoi Liberation Day.
When the Democratic Republic of Vietnam was founded, the picture of Hanoi Flag Tower was printed on the banknote of the State Bank of Vietnam during the initial issuance.
2. Things to know about the structure of Hanoi Flag Tower
Hanoi Flag tower has three floors with a total height of 33.4 meters, over 40 meters if the flagpole is included. The tower gets smaller as it gets higher. The first floor is 3.1 meters high, the second floor is 3.7 meters high, and the third floor is 5.1 meters high.
The tower has an octagonal cylinder shape, with 54 spiral stair steps to the top and 39 fan-shaped holes for lighting and ventilation. The flag is hung on the top, sewn with non-polished fabric, and the corner of the flag is quilted to withstand fierce winds.
3. How to get to the Flag Tower of Hanoi on your day trip?
Hanoi Flag Tower is situated at the heart of Hanoi, less than 1 kilometer away from Hoan Kiem Lake, so it is very easy to get here. You can travel by car, bus, or on foot to enjoy the street views. If you prefer to go by bus, take one of the following routes: 02, 18, 32, 34, and 45, which all pass by Dien Bien Phu Street.
If you travel by car or motorbike, starting from Hoan Kiem Lake, take Trang Thi Street, then Cua Nam Street, then Dien Bien Phu Street to reach this tower Hanoi.
4. Top 5 famous tourist attractions near Hanoi Flag Tower
Near the tower, there are many pagodas, temples, and other culturally significant monuments. Some of the most outstanding places to visit are:
- Hanoi Opera House: This is the venue for many major art shows, with unique architecture and historical values
- Hoan Kiem Lake: Located in the heart of Hanoi, this is the first destination of many visitors with a magnificent and ancient landscape of the lake, old temple, and mossy towers
- Hanoi Old Quarter: A popular destination for both local and international visitors, this is a place teeming with Hanoi’s culture and ideal for purchasing souvenirs and enjoying Hanoi’s cuisine
- St. Joseph's Cathedral: This is a long-standing cathedral of French architecture, where religious events for parishioners are frequently held
- Temple of Literature: Regarded as a symbol of Vietnamese knowledge and education, this is also a witness to the thousand-year history of Hanoi capital city
The charming country of Vietnam is home to many enchanting destinations, such as Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, Hue, to name a few. The breathtaking natural settings, along with rich culture and history in these places will amaze you. Do not hesitate to include them in your Vietnam travel plan!
If you are about to visit these famous tourist destinations, consider staying at Vinpearl. Acclaimed for its top-notch services, Vinpearl is a leading Vietnam brand of hospitality with a system of luxury hotels and resorts in many popular destinations.
Hanoi Flag Tower, with its long history, amazing architecture, and remarkable cultural values, is certainly one of the top Hanoi tourist sites that you should not miss out on. Tourists coming to this historical relic can also enjoy the peaceful surroundings and gain more insight into Vietnamese history.