Outdoor Christmas decorations are an indispensable part of Christmas celebrations worldwide. As the holidays draw closer, people from all around the world will put on a merry new look for their homes. In this article, you will discover more than 100 of the best outdoor Christmas decorations to make your own winter wonderland.
1. Timeless outdoor Christmas decorations for a festive look
While there is an incredibly vast selection of outdoor Christmas decorations, you cannot go wrong with the classics. These classic elements are sure to bring joy to your holiday season, and they never go out of style. Have a look at the below Christmas decorations for your outdoor set:
- Christmas trees: Arguably the most iconic holiday display, they will definitely be the star of the show, whether you choose a real or artificial tree. Get creative and put on some light strings, ornaments, and tinsel to make yours stand out. Finish it with a gleaming star or angel on top to complete the look.
- Lanterns and candles: They add a warm and inviting glow to your outdoor space. Make sure to place them in a safe place to prevent them from getting blown out by the wind or catching on to other decorations.
- Garlands and string lights: These objects are made for wrapping around trees, railings, and fences. Simple but enchanting, they are some of the most essential and easy outdoor Christmas decorations.
- Candy canes: They come in many sizes. You can hang them on the door or railings as a cute ornament or line the giant ones along your walkways.
- Iconic characters: It is always fun to include Christmas iconic figures or Christmas movie characters in the festive season decorations. Pay homage to the timeless movies with Disney outdoor Christmas decorations or other characters such as Santa Claus and the Snowman for an extra magical touch.
2. Cheerful outdoor Christmas decoration ideas full of holiday spirits
While the classics tend to be more well-received by most people, don’t be afraid to get creative and showcase your favorite decoration ideas, even if they are unconventional. There is no right or wrong when it comes to outdoor Christmas decorations.
2.1. Outdoor Christmas yard decorations
The yard should be the first place on your mind for outdoor Christmas decorations. Your visitors and other passersby will be able to appreciate and admire your decoration efforts the second they see your home. There are numerous possibilities to transform your outdoor space into a winter wonderland. Check out these 10 suggestions:
- Pathway lights: Line your walkway with multi-colored light strings to create a welcoming and eye-catching entrance to your home.
- Inflatable characters: Delight visitors with bouncy Santa Claus, reindeers, gingerbread men, or snowmen that bring a playful touch to your yard.
- Icicle lights: Hang these elegant outdoor Christmas decorations along your roofline to simulate the look of glistening icicles in the winter sun.
- Candy canes: These oversized outdoor Christmas decorations add a whimsical and festive touch to your decor.
- Animated reindeer: Create a dynamic display with reindeers or elves that appear to be grazing or moving, adding a lifelike element to your yard.
- Wooden cutouts: Painted wooden cutouts of classic Christmas characters like nutcrackers, snowflakes, or gingerbread men add a rustic and nostalgic vibe.
- Nativity scene: Display these religious outdoor Christmas decorations to honor the origin of the holiday and share the joy with your neighborhood.
- Snowflakes: These DIY outdoor Christmas decorations can add a magical touch to your yard. Craft your own from white foam board and illuminate them with glitter for an elegant look.
2.2. Outdoor Christmas decoration ideas for the door and porch
Your front door and porch are next after the yard, so decorating them for the holidays is a wonderful way to welcome your holiday visitors. From simple ideas to elaborate arrangements, there are endless possibilities to make your home stand out and spread the holiday cheer.
- Wreaths: Adorn your front door with a beautiful holiday wreath featuring traditional evergreen branches, pinecones, and ornaments.
- Garland: Drape a lighted garland along your porch railings or around the door frame to add a warm, inviting glow.
- Doormats: Swap out your regular doormat for a special one exclusively for the holidays, like a reindeer, snowflakes, or a cheerful holiday greeting.
- Lanterns: To create a cozy ambiance, hang the lanterns on your porch steps or by the door. You can opt for LED candles instead of real ones for safety.
- Nutcrackers: Add a pair of these vintage outdoor Christmas decorations on either side of your door to create a grand entrance.
- Poinsettia arrangements: Your home will appear more elegant with some potted poinsettia plants on the porch or poinsettia flowers displayed on the door.
- Candles: While regular candles are more authentic and cozy, you can also go for battery-powered ones to ensure safety.
- Porch swings with blankets: This practical outdoor Christmas decoration can be adorned with some holiday throw pillows for a cozy seating area.
- String lights: More string lights never hurt. Hang them around your porch railing, outlining the roof, or along the columns for a magical nighttime display.
- Mistletoe and holly: Hang them above your front door and add a pop of vibrant red and green.
>>> Include some Merry Christmas wishes on your decorations!
2.3. Outdoor Christmas decoration ideas for windows
Decorating your windows is a great idea if you are staying in an apartment. It is a subtle but exciting way to embrace the holiday spirit in a limited space. Here are some suggestions:
- Modern window Christmas tree: Use light strings and stick them on your windows in the shape of a Christmas tree.
- Window ornaments: A festive garland is just the thing to drape across the top of your window. Add multi-colored baubles, figurines, and flowers to customize them.
- Wreath window seat: Hanging a wreath at your window seat gives you a great view every time you sit by the window and enjoy the winter scenery.
- Window boxes: If your home has these boxes, they can be a great place for outdoor Christmas decorations. It is a great way to mix eye-catching DIY decor with natural materials.
- Ornament garland: Instead of using garlands and baubles separately, why not incorporate them and make a garland with baubles?
- Candle wreath: Take your wreath game to the next level with a candle to create a warm atmosphere amidst the cool winter air.
- Little snowflakes: Stick some tiny snowflakes on your windows to simulate the December weather.
- “Merry Christmas” banner: Sometimes, a simple wish is more than enough. Write the letters yourself on several pieces of paper and stick them on a garland.
- Ornaments and plants: If you can afford the space, add a shade of green to your outdoor Christmas decorations by hanging ornaments on little plants by the window.
- Checkered curtains: Go back to the basics and try this practical idea. You can keep the curtain up long after the holidays.
2.4. Outdoor Christmas decoration ideas for the front gate, fences & walkways
While not every home has a front gate and fences, they can be great locations to place your decorations. Here are some suggestions for cool outdoor Christmas decorations that will make your home stand out:
- Holiday wreath display: Hang a variety of wreaths on your gate and fence.
- Luminous pathway: Line your walkway with luminous stakes for a magical entrance.
- Nutcracker soldiers: Stand tall Nutcracker figurines along your fence.
- Snowmen: Display adorable little snowman figures on your fence or gate.
- Lantern glow: Hang lanterns on your gate for a warm, inviting ambiance.
- Winter wonderland arches: Frame your gate with arches decorated in white and silver.
- Jingle bell walkway: Hang jingle bells from the gate and fence.
- Twinkling topiaries: Decorate topiary trees with twinkling lights.
- Picket fence baubles: Adorn a white picket fence with ornaments.
- Sleigh and reindeer: Display a festive sleigh and reindeer set.
- Candlelit fence: Hang battery candles along the fence for a warm glow.
- DIY snowflakes: Hang oversized snowflake ornaments.
- Golden gate: Decorate your gate with golden and metallic accents.
2.5. Outdoor Xmas decoration ideas for the roof
The roof enables you to come up with the most quirky and unique outdoor Christmas decorations. You can opt for oversized, classic decorations or lean into a certain theme. Either way, these suggestions can transform your place into a winter wonderland.
- Roofline lights: Adorn the edges of your roof with bright and colorful lights.
- Santa's sleigh: Place a life-sized Santa's sleigh with reindeers on your rooftop as a sign that he has begun delivering gifts.
- Giant inflatables: Choose oversized outdoor Christmas decorations like inflatable snowmen, reindeer, or penguins to place on your roof.
- Icicle lights: The glistening icicle lights along the eaves of your roof will give a wintery, enchanting effect.
- Snowflake projectors: Glowing snowflake patterns cast onto your roof using projectors can be seen from a distance, showcasing your imaginative Christmas decorating efforts.
- Holiday banners: Festive banners or flags from your rooftop, featuring holiday messages or designs that celebrate the season.
- Roof-top ornaments: Scatter outdoor ornaments on your roof. Choose traditional Christmas colors like red and green for a classic look.
- Santa Claus display: Create a rooftop scene with a life-sized Santa Claus, turning your place into his workshop.
- North Pole decor: Transform your rooftop into the North Pole with white and red decor, including candy cane-striped poles and snowy scenes.
- Chimney climb: By cleverly placing the Santa Claus figure, you can create the illusion of Santa climbing down the chimney.
- Twinkling stars: Your rooftop will resemble a starry night sky with star-shaped lights or decorations.
>>> Incorporate Christmas music into your holiday celebration!
2.6. Outdoor Christmas decoration ideas for balconies
The balcony is a limited space, but it has major potential for outdoor Christmas decorations. Channel your creativity and work your favorite themes and objects into the set. If you need some ideas to get you started, these are some viable outdoor Christmas decorations:
- Fairy lights: String up some outdoor Christmas decorations, like fairy lights, to create a warm and inviting ambiance.
- Mini Christmas tree: Place a small, potted plant on your balcony, adorning it with ornaments and lights.
- Christmas cushions: Add holiday-themed cushions to your home for a cozy and comfortable space.
- Outdoor rugs: Lay down a special outdoor rug with Christmas motifs to set the stage for holiday gatherings.
- Holiday garland: String up multiple garlands along your balcony railing for a touch of festive elegance.
- Miniature village: Create a miniature Christmas village with tiny houses, figurines, and twinkling lights.
- Outdoor candles: Arrange some candles in glass lanterns to provide a warm, cozy glow.
- Christmas stockings: Hang adorable little stockings filled with small gifts, adding a whimsical and personalized touch.
- Christmas lanterns: Hang some lanterns on the balcony to add a subtle cozy touch.
- Snowflakes: Stick some DIY snowflakes for some simple outdoor Christmas decorations on your balcony.
- Tinsel and baubles: Wrap tinsel and hang shiny baubles to add sparkle and glitz to your balcony.
- Festive table settings: Decorate your balcony table with a Christmas-themed tablecloth, plates, and napkins.
3. Spectacular outdoor Xmas decoration themes for a stunning display
3.1. Winter wonderland
If you are looking to transform your outdoor space into a winter wonderland with enchanting outdoor Christmas decorations, you will need to follow a specific color scheme and decor ideas. The primary colors for this theme are white, silver, gold, and a hint of blue.
Suitable outdoor Christmas decorations for a winter wonderland include:
- Snowflakes: Hang them from trees, place them on windows, or create a snowflake-themed garland.
- Icicles: Icicle lights will give the enticing illusion of real icicles.
- Elegant lighting: You can wrap light strings around trees, drape them along fences, or even use them to outline the architecture of your home.
- Snowy scene: Set up figurines or cutouts of snowmen, polar bears, and penguins. Dust the figures with artificial snow to enhance the effect.
- Wreaths: Adorn your doors and windows with gold, silver, and blue wreaths.
- Outdoor ornaments: Hang some classy outdoor Christmas decorations from tree branches or use them as pathway markers.
3.2. Unique pink outdoor Christmas decor ideas
Pink is an unconventional choice for outdoor Christmas decorations, but the color scheme brings a sense of whimsy and playfulness to your home. Here is how to incorporate this delightful color into your decorations:
The primary color for this unique theme is, of course, pink. However, to create a balanced and visually appealing display, you can mix and match different colors. Consider using white to accent the primary color or silver for a touch of elegance.
- Pink Christmas trees: Opt for pink artificial Christmas trees as a central element of your outdoor display. Decorate them with pink, white, and silver ornaments, along with shimmering tinsel.
- Illuminated pathways: Line your walkways with pink string lights or LED pathway markers. These outdoor Christmas decorations will truly pop against the winter backdrop.
- Ornaments: Hang pink and silver outdoor ornaments from your porch, trees, and fences.
- Pink wreaths: Adorn your front door and windows with pink wreaths featuring white and silver accents.
>>> Find some Christmas games to have fun during the holidays!
3.3. Red and white outdoor Xmas decoration ideas
Red and white outdoor Christmas decorations are a timeless choice that exude a traditional and festive ambiance. You can find these two colors on various iconic symbols like candy canes, baubles, and even Santa Claus himself.
Two primary colors go together extremely well, and you can add green to complete the classic Christmas look that never goes out of style.
- Red and white wreaths: They can be adorned with red berries, white ribbon, or even tiny red and white ornaments.
- Candy cane lane: Line your walkways with oversized candy canes wrapped in red and white stripes.
- Red and white lights: String red and white Christmas lights along the eaves of your home, trees, and fences.
- Snowflakes: Hang large white snowflake decorations on your porch or stick little ones on your windows.
- Santa Claus inflatables: Set up these inflatable outdoor Christmas decorations on your roof or yard to excite the children.
- Table settings: If you plan to host outdoor gatherings, set up tables with red and white tablecloths, dishes, and napkins.
3.4. Gingerbread house
Lastly, you can choose to go above and beyond and turn your home into a gingerbread house. This ambitious idea gives you a unique way to utilize outdoor Christmas decorations to create a cozy and warm atmosphere during the holiday season.
The primary colors for a gingerbread house-themed outdoor Christmas decoration are brown for the gingerbread cookies, white for the sugary icing, and a hint of red and green to complement the overall aesthetic.
- Giant gingerbread cookies: What will a gingerbread house be without some gingerbread men? Make oversized gingerbread cookies from plywood or foam board, painting them with brown and white icing-like patterns.
- Candy cane accents: These outdoor Christmas decorations can pop out from the scene and capture people’s attention.
- Giant lollipops: Gingerbread houses are all about sweet treats, so the eye-catching giant lollipops are indispensable.
- Peppermint pathway: Line your walkways with red and white pathway lights that resemble peppermint.
4. Where to buy outdoor Christmas decorations?
Most people will start shopping for their outdoor Halloween decorations around November, right when stores begin selling. If you have time to browse the shelves at physical stores, check out your local Costco, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Amazon, etc.
However, not all of us can afford the time, nor do we want to deal with the overcrowded Christmas shopping experience. In that case, you can always go ahead and check out the eCommerce platforms like Amazon, eBay, Shopify, Alibaba, etc., to find your favorite outdoor Christmas decorations.
Additionally, there are many other stores like Big Lots, Hobby Lobby, Gnome, Michaels, Argos, Kmart, Bunnings, Etsy, Dollar Tree, Sam's Club, Menards, Wayfair, etc. for you to do your Christmas shopping.
5. Simple DIY outdoor Christmas decorations anyone can make
Buying outdoor Christmas decorations is easy, but part of the fun is making the decorations yourself. They do not need to be overly complicated at all, you can probably find most of the materials needed in the comfort of your own home. Here are a few simple DIY outdoor Christmas decorations that you can create:
- Wreaths: Use materials like evergreen branches, pinecones, and ribbons. You can personalize them with ornaments and lights for a festive touch.
- Ornaments: Paint over or redecorate pre-made ornaments with watercolor, glitter, markers, etc.
- Garlands and string lights: There are no rules when it comes to these two decoration items, so you can make your own variations with anything you can come up with.
- Wooden Decorations: Do some carpentry work and make some rustic outdoor Christmas decorations like wooden reindeers, Christmas trees, sleighs, etc.
- Recycled Material Crafts: Reuse items like old tires, pallets, or wooden crates by turning them into holiday-themed displays with a fresh coat of paint and some other additions.
If you want to see how Vietnamese people put up their outdoor Christmas decorations, take a trip to the country to experience Christmas in Vietnam. A standard Vietnam travel journey will take you through many cities and provinces, notably some of the most popular tourist destinations like Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Ha Long.
During your stay in Vietnam, it is highly recommended to book your accommodations at Vinpearl hotels and resorts. These lodging options offer the most exquisite services and amenities, like ocean-view rooms, swimming pools, private villas, luxurious restaurants, and much more. While you are enjoying your stay at Vinpearl, be sure to also check out the VinWonders entertainment complexes, where you can enjoy the most exciting games, performances, and cultural experiences.
Outdoor Christmas decorations are one of the fundamental aspects of any Christmas celebration. From classic ornaments to creative DIY projects and themed displays, there is a world of possibilities to explore. Nonetheless, these decorations create a warm and inviting atmosphere for all to enjoy. So, unleash your creativity and let your outdoor space shine brightly during this holiday season.