Phong Nha Cave, a part of Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park, tops your list of must-visit destinations for a notable trip to Quang Binh. Here, you have a chance to immerse yourself in picturesque nature. Read on and note this complete guide to the enthralling cave.
1. About Phong Nha Cave in Vietnam
1.1. Location of Phong Nha Cave
This cave is part of Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in Son Trach commune, Bo Trach district, about 50 kilometers away from Dong Hoi city to the Northwest. It is one of the most impressive and largest caves among numerous caves in Vietnam.
Phong Nha Cave is more than 7,730 meters long. The mouth of the cave is 20-25 meters wide, about 10 meters high, and 83 meters deep. Its complicated structure contains 14 grottoes, many connecting branches, and an underground river which is considered the largest in the world. The cave has two parts: the dry caves located at an altitude of 200 meters and the wet caves with the underground river.
1.2. The origin of the name “Phong Nha”
Phong Nha means “Wind and Teeth” - a name inspired by the drooping stalagmites at the cave's entrance. The name can be inferred as “the wind that flows through the teeth’s gap”. The mysterious wind and the marvelous white stalactites create an iconic sight of Phong Nha Cave, making it the most wonderful cave in the complex of limestone caves in Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park.
1.3. Opening hours and Entrance fee
- Opening hours: 7:30 am - 5:00 pm every day. In the rainy season and national holidays, some services may not be available.
- Entrance fee: 150,000 VND, free for children under 1.3 meters tall.
- Boat to Phong Nha Cave fee: 550,000 VND per boat with life vests for 12 people including children, free for children under 1.3 meters tall.
2. What to expect when visiting Phong Nha Cave in Vietnam?
2.1. The longest water cave in Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park
In the limestone cave system of Phong Nha - Ke Bang, Vom Cave is probably the greatest cave in terms of size and splendor. This wet cave is 28 kilometers long, starting from Ruc Ca Roong Cave at an altitude of 360 meters above sea level, forming a tremendous cave system which flows through Phong Nha Cave.
A venture into Vom Cave will be great for all adventurers, as it combines caving, jungle trekking, swimming, and camping overnight. Getting lost in nature, discovering a dark and mysterious cave full of magnificent stalagmites, and immersing yourself in the blue water will be such breathtaking and priceless moments.
2.2. The most beautiful underground lake
Traveling to Phong Nha Cave, you will be in awe before the most majestic underground lake - one of the most charming points of this natural wonder. The 13,969-meter-long lake with deep blue water not only embellishes the mysterious beauty of Phong Nha Cave but also brings a sense of relaxation and comfort.
In addition, the rays of light hit the blue water surface and reflect different colors on the exotic stalactites. To enjoy this unique feast of lights with your own eyes, you can take a small boat and float around.
2.3. The most exotic yet beautiful stalagmite and stalactite system
Quang Binh has a system of majestic stalagmite and stalactite, and it is undeniable that Phong Nha Cave has the most exotic and eye-catching ones. Inside both dry and wet caves are countless stalactites and stalagmites of different fascinating shapes. Phong Nha Cave is also home to some unique rock formations which are named intriguingly after their shapes, such as the “Lion”, the “Unicorn”, the “Kneeling Elephant”, the “Buddha”, and the “Royal Court”.
2.4. The longest and most beautiful underground river in Vietnam
The underground river flowing through Phong Nha Cave has a length of 1,500 meters, making it the longest underground river in the world. Along the river, you will discover the pristine and unspoiled beauty of the cave system, enjoy the fresh air, and listen to the song of wonderful nature.
Kayaking on the underground river into Phong Nha Cave will help you feel calm and relaxed to enjoy an adventurous journey to the hidden yet majestic cave. You will witness the magical sight of the stalagmites and stalactites, as well as the feast of light when shimmering light blends well with the darkness.
2.5. The largest dry cave
After a fantastic journey along the river to discover the picturesque wet cave and underground lake, you will see the largest dry cave of Phong Nha Cave, which has a length of up to 31.4 meters. Following a wooden corridor, you have a chance to admire the magnificent and shimmering stalactite system at every corner of the cave. Moreover, the atmosphere inside is so cool and fresh that it will blow away all your stress and tiredness.
3. Best places to visit near Phong Nha Cave
After your visit to Phong Nha caves, you should spend time discovering some other famous and beautiful attractions to enjoy the beauty of Quang Binh province to the fullest! Here are some scenic spots to complete your Phong Nha Cave tours:
- Phong Nha Paradise Cave: Only about 23 kilometers away from Phong Nha Cave, this is one of the most famous and beautiful caves in Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park. The cave has a length of up to 31.4 kilometers and a height of 60 meters, making it the largest dry cave in Asia.
- Phong Nha Dark Cave: Only 2 kilometers away from the above-mentioned Paradise Cave, this cave provides a wide range of adventurous activities, including walking through the dark cave, ziplining over a blue river, swimming, mud-bathing, kayaking, and even testing your limits on different hanging obstacles on Chay River.
- Mooc Spring: Located near Phong Nha Cave, Mooc Spring is a hidden gem with a wonderful natural landscape and diverse ecosystem. It is an ideal place to enjoy a picnic with friends and families amidst the forest canopy, mountain cliffs, and cool stream water.
- Son Doong Cave: Near Phong Nha Cave is the world’s largest cave - Son Doong. This 3 million-year-old cave is so huge that there seems to be a whole unique world inside, with rivers, forests, caves, and animals. Every year, only a limited number of people can join the out-of-this-world journey to this cave, making it an invaluable experience that participants won’t be able to forget.
4. Frequently asked questions about Phong Nha Cave Quang Binh Vietnam
To have a wonderful trip to Phong Nha Ke Bang Cave, note some important information below:
4.1. How to get to Phong Nha Cave Quang Binh province?
There are two popular ways to get to the cave:
- Travel to Dong Hoi city, then drive to Phong Nha
- Go straight to Phong Nha by sleeper bus
With the first option, you can get to Dong Hoi city by plane or train. From Dong Hoi, you can drive a car or motorbike, follow National Road 16 for about 45 kilometers to the northwest to get to Son River. Then, take a boat along the river to reach Phong Nha Cave. It often takes one and a half hours to get to the cave from the city center.
Overnight sleeper buses are suitable for tourists who have time and want to experience a new means of transportation. If departing from Hanoi, the total travel time is about 9 hours. There are also some buses from nearby cities, such as Da Nang and Hue, to Phong Nha.
4.2. When is the best time to visit Phong Nha Cave?
When planning for your trip to Phong Nha Cave, you should pay attention to Phong Nha weather forecast because it will affect your trip greatly. Avoid the rainy season which usually lasts from September to November. During this period, many tourist sites will be closed due to extreme weather such as floods.
The best time to visit Phong Nha Cave is the dry season from April to August, which is convenient for you to discover the underground river and wet cave, as well as enjoy numerous thrilling activities.
Besides Quang Binh, Vietnam also beckons tourists with many famous tourist hubs, such as Phu Quoc, Hoi An, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Ha Long, etc. For an exceptional vacation in Vietnam, you should find an ideal place to stay. Notably, the Vinpearl hotels and resorts are on the top list of accommodation. Available in many famous destinations, Vinpearl will bring you a most memorable and comfortable stay in Vietnam.
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc: The four hotels and resorts of Vinpearl on the pearl island will fulfill all your demands for the best vacation. Every property offers top-notch services, such as spas, swimming pools, restaurants, and exciting entertainment activities.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang: With Vinpearl Nha Trang, your trip will be so much fun yet relaxing. Wake up to the sound of the waves, lie under the sunshine on a private beach, witness a vivid sea view at dawn, and enjoy limitless fun at the amusement park VinWonders Nha Trang!
- Vinpearl Hoi An: The two resorts of Vinpearl Hoi An are perfect for a family vacation with various unmissable experiences, especially if you are a culture lover or a golf player. From Hoi An, it is so easy to get to Phong Nha Cave by train or by bus.
- Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang: At Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, the elegant neoclassical style villas blend with a colorful flower garden and the spectacular sea and mountain view, creating a poetic atmosphere in which all the hustle and bustle will be left behind.
- Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long: As the only resort in Northern Vietnam built entirely on the sea, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long is a paradise for nature lovers, where you can admire the view of the majestic Ha Long Bay - a natural wonder of the world.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, and Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long for your best stay in Vietnam!
If you plan to discover Quang Binh, don’t forget to put Phong Nha Cave on the list of must-see attractions. This popular cave of Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park will leave you in awe with its dry and wet caves, underground river and lake, and magnificent stalagmites and stalactites at every corner.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long and enjoy a comfortable stay!
>>> Book vouchers, combos, and tours to Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang to discover a wonderful Vietnam!