Vietnam entices thousands of tourists yearly to come to explore the S-shaped country. Besides passport, visa, and cash, a power plug in Vietnam is an important thing to consider bringing. If you are not sure if your plugs are supported in Vietnam, this ultimate guide to power plugs, outlets, voltage, and frequency in Vietnam will give you the essential information and help you prepare for a seamless Vietnam travel.
1. Popular types of power plugs in Vietnam
Currently, there are 15 standard types of power plugs and corresponding sockets in the world. Each type of power plug has a different shape and structure, and is denoted by alphabet letters.
So, what plug does Vietnam use? According to the map above, plug types C, E, and F are most popular in Vietnam. In fact, type-A plugs are also common in this country.
- Plug type A: This common type of power plug in Vietnam features two flat parallel pins. It is widely used in North America and Japan.
- Plug type E/F: They share the same structure, featuring two round pins and a grounding hole. These plug types are mainly used in Eastern European countries.
- Plug type C: This is another popular type of power plug in Vietnam which features two round pins with insulation, lacks grounding, and can be inserted in two directions.
2. Power voltage and frequency in Vietnam
The standard power voltage in Vietnam is 110/220V, and the frequency is 50Hz. Travelers from countries with different voltage and frequency standards may need voltage converters to safely use their appliances in Vietnam.
However, if your device says "100-240V, 50-60Hz", it means that it is compatible with all voltage standards worldwide, including Vietnam. As long as the plug is compatible, you can utilize these devices anywhere.
>>> The ultimate guide to creating a travel checklist for your next adventure
3. Important notes for power plug and voltage compatibility when traveling to Vietnam
Before traveling, it is important to consider the compatibility of the voltage and power plug in Vietnam. Here is the necessary information for you if you are:
- From Europe: Your power plugs are similar to those used in Vietnam.
- From North and Central America, Japan: Although you can find your plug type in Vietnam, make sure to check the voltage compatibility.
- From the UK, Singapore, Ireland, Malta, Malaysia, Cyprus: Plug type G can be used in some places in Vietnam, but it is less common. Generally, you still need a Vietnam power converter.
- From Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina, parts of China: You need a Vietnam power adapter. However, if your power plug has only 2 pins (not requiring a grounding hole), it can still be used by forcing the plug into Vietnam power outlets. Kindly note that this should be a last resort only.
4. Where to buy a voltage converter and power plug adapter in Vietnam?
If you did not bring a voltage converter and power plug adapter when coming to Vietnam, you can buy them at big electronic stores such as Dien May Xanh, Nguyen Kim, etc., or small electronic shops in local markets. The average price for a voltage converter is around 200,000 VND. The price for an adapter for a power plug in Vietnam is approximately 80,000 VND.
When planning a trip to Vietnam, besides researching power plugs in Vietnam, be sure to make a list of renowned tourist destinations to visit. From the breathtaking Ha Long Bay to the pristine beaches of Phu Quoc and Nha Trang, from the historical allure of Hoi An to the vibrant cityscape of Da Nang, each destination offers a unique travel experience.
While you are in these destinations, enhance your Vietnam trip by choosing to stay at Vinpearl’s hotels and resorts. As a renowned luxury hospitality brand, Vinpearl offers exceptional accommodations in prime locations across the country. With elegant designs, lavish amenities, and unparalleled services, Vinpearl is ideal for those seeking a truly indulgent experience. Whether you are going on a romantic getaway, family vacation, or business trip, Vinpearl guarantees a satisfying stay.
Above is the essential information about power plug in Vietnam. Knowing the standard plug types, power voltage, and frequency in Vietnam will assist you in preparing electrical accessories that are compatible with your devices. Otherwise, you can also buy plug adapters and voltage converters in Vietnam with ease.