This is our comprehensive guide on the Vietnam passport, where we will delve into essential information regarding its requirements, the application process, renewal procedures, and intriguing facts. This article aims to provide a one-stop resource for all your inquiries surrounding this vital travel document.
1. Facts about the Vietnam passport
The Vietnam passport, undeniably an essential travel document for its citizens, encapsulates not only the permit to journey across borders but also a plethora of intriguing facts that beautifully showcase Vietnam's unique identity, historical significance, and commitment to facilitating global exploration.
- Vietnam passport country code: VNM
- Vietnam passport ranking: In the latest edition of the Hanley Passport Index released on July 18th 2023, Vietnam passport ranked 82nd out of 199 countries and territories worldwide. This marks a significant improvement, as it climbed 6 positions compared to January 2023’s ranking (88th) and 10 positions compared to 2022’s ranking (92nd). This improvement highlights Vietnam's increasing global mobility and recognition.
- Vietnamese passport color: The color of Vietnam passports varies based on their types:
- Diplomatic passport: Brown-red cover
- Official passport: Dark green cover
- Standard passport: Purple-blue cover
- Simplified standard passport: Black cover
- Vietnam passport validity: The validity of Vietnam passports varies based on their types:
- Diplomatic passport: Valid for 1 to 5 years and can be extended once for up to 3 years.
- Official passport: Valid for 1 to 5 years and can be extended once for up to 3 years.
- Standard passport: Valid for 10 years (for individuals aged 14 and above) or 5 years (for individuals under 14 years old) and cannot be extended.
- Simplified standard passport: Valid for 12 months and cannot be extended.
- Visa-free countries for Vietnam passport holders: Vietnam passport holders enjoy entry to 55 destinations worldwide with no visas required or just e-visas or visas on arrival required.
- Vietnam passport stamp: Vietnam passport stamps are rectangular in shape and contain essential details such as the time, place, and direction of travel (exit or entry), similar to Schengen passport stamps.
- New Vietnam passport: From March 1st, 2023, a new electronic chip-embedded passport has been introduced for Vietnamese citizens. This chip stores encoded personal information and issuer's signature. Both chip-embedded and non-chip-embedded passports share the same colors.
- Each Vietnam passport page showcases the country's landscapes, national symbols, and cultural heritage. Iconic sites like Hue Imperial City, Ha Long Bay, Hung King Temple, Hoi An Ancient Town, My Son Sanctuary, Lung Cu Flag Tower, and more are featured, promoting Vietnam's beauty and identity to the world.
>>> Read more: Vietnam passport sample
2. How to get or renew a Vietnam’s standard passport?
Getting or renewing a Vietnam passport is a straightforward process that can be undertaken both in and outside Vietnam.
2.1. In Vietnam
In Vietnam, individuals can apply for a Vietnam passport either in person or online. The documents required for Vietnam passport application in person is as follows:
- Complete the application form for a new Vietnam passport (Form TK01).
- For individuals under 14 years old, provide a copy of the birth certificate.
- Submit a passport-sized photo taken within the last 6 months. The photo should be 4x6cm, taken with a clear view of the face, no headgear, no glasses, and against a white background.
- If you already have a standard passport, provide it for reference. In case of passport loss, include a report of passport loss issued by the competent authority. If there are any changes to personal information since the most recently issued passport, include a copy of the Vietnamese ID card.
- For individuals without legal capacity or under 14 years old, a certified proof of legal representative status issued by the competent authority should be included.
Applications for standard passports can also be submitted through the National Portal on Public Services: dichvucong.gov.vn. However, as the portal is only in Vietnamese, it is recommended that you apply in person for more support.
2.2. Outside Vietnam
The applicant for a Vietnam passport abroad must include a completed application form, 2 passport-sized photos, and relevant documents. An old Vietnamese passport or other identification papers issued by the competent authority in Vietnam are also required. In case such papers are unavailable, the applicant should provide a document issued by the competent authority confirming their Vietnamese nationality.
Within 5 working days from the date of receiving the passport application, the representative office of Vietnam will send the result to the applicant and notify in writing the Immigration Department under the Ministry of Public Security and the Consular Department under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Vietnam.
- It is imperative to obtain a new Vietnam passport if your passport is lost or damaged, nearing expiration, or expired.
- Diplomatic and official passports can be extended once if their remaining validity is under 1 year, with a maximum extension period of up to 3 years. Upon expiry, a new application is required.
- Standard passports have a validity period of up to 5 or 10 years from the date of issuance and cannot be extended. A standard passport can be reissued if it is still valid, and upon expiry, a new application procedure is required.
>>> Explore: Vietnam passport stamp
3. Vietnam passport application fee and processing time
If your Vietnam passport application is made at the Immigration Office in Vietnam, the processing time is 8 working days. If it is made at the Immigration Department, the processing time ranges from 3 to 5 working days.
Until December 31, 2023, the application fees in Vietnam are as follows:
- New passport issuance: 160,000 VND
- Passport reissuance due to loss or damage: 320,000 VND
From January 1, 2024, the application fees in Vietnam will be as follows:
- New passport issuance: 200,000 VND
- Passport reissuance due to loss or damage: 400,000 VND
The application fees outside Vietnam are as follow:
- Diplomatic, official, and standard passport issuance: $70
- Simplified standard passport issuance: $35
>>> You should know: Vietnam passport renewal
4. What to do when losing a Vietnam passport?
Losing a Vietnam passport can be distressing, but there are specific steps to take to mitigate any potential misuse of the lost document. Within 48 hours of discovering the loss of a passport, you should submit a report of passport loss to an Immigration Office, Police Office, a border control checkpoint, or a representative office of Vietnam abroad. This is crucial to invalidate the lost Vietnam passport and prevent unauthorized usage. If there are compelling reasons that delay the submission of such report, you can explain the specific circumstances in the report.
With a Vietnam passport, you can embark on an enriching journey across Vietnam at your own pace and make the most of your travel experiences. As you plan your adventure, consider the alluring destinations that Vietnam travel has in store. From the sun-kissed beaches of Phu Quoc and Nha Trang to the captivating charm of Hoi An, from the dynamic city of Da Nang to the breathtaking landscapes of Ha Long Bay, Vietnam encompasses a spectrum of attractions that cater to diverse preferences.
During your time in Vietnam, you can immerse yourself in the epitome of luxury and leisure by experiencing the impeccable hospitality at Vinpearl's collection of hotels and resorts. Whether you seek tranquil beachside relaxation or urban elegance, Vinpearl provides. At Vinpearl, guests can delight in sumptuous accommodations, exquisite dining options, rejuvenating spas, and an array of recreational activities.
But that's not all – set out to discover the captivating realm of entertainment at VinWonders, a renowned system of entertainment complexes located in Vietnam’s most popular destinations.
The Vietnam passport holds the power to open doors to over 55 Vietnam passport visa free countries, allowing its holders to explore the world with ease. From the newly introduced chip-embedded passports to the captivating passport stamps that narrate tales of journeys, every page of the Vietnam passport embodies the spirit of exploration.