Vietnamese summer rolls are probably one of the freshest and most vibrant treats you can imagine in Vietnam, made from a mix of aromatic herbs, crunchy vegetables, rice noodles, pork, and shrimp, all nicely packed in edible rice paper. Here is everything you need to know about this delicacy during your Vietnam travel trip.
1. Things to know about Vietnamese summer rolls
The highlight of Vietnamese summer rolls - or fresh spring rolls - is their contrast of flavors and textures between the leaves and the noodles, and the freshness brought about by a large amount of vegetables and herbs.
As a popular snack in Southern Vietnam, these little treats have made their way to the world and gained the recognition of many global diners. In fact, in 2017, Vietnamese summer rolls were featured on the list of the world’s best foods, compiled through a poll on Facebook organized by CNN.
>>> Check out some must-try Vietnamese food!
2. The popular ingredients of Vietnamese summer rolls
The perk of having a wide array of ingredients means that there are endless ways to customize Vietnamese summer rolls. Still, the most popular version calls for shrimp, pork, rice noodles, lettuce, and aromatic herbs, with rice paper wrappers.
As the dish’s reputation grows, people have been adding their own spins on its presentations and ingredients. A prime example would be the artfully presented rolls that have taken social media by storm. Taking advantage of the see-through nature of Vietnamese summer roll wrappers, some creative minds have created fruit rolls using a kaleidoscope of fruits with contrasting or complementing colors.
3. How do Vietnamese people make summer rolls?
Vietnamese fresh summer rolls consist of shrimp marinated with salt, sugar, and rice liquor; boiled pork belly; lettuce; and an assortment of herbs.
What comes first on the rice paper is lettuce, then herbs, noodles, pork, and shrimp. To make the rolls look more presentable, arrange the shrimp and pork so that they are visible through the rice paper. The mix is then rolled up and dipped into a sweet, sour, and savory source.
Vietnamese summer rolls should not be confused with spring rolls, as the latter are fried and have different fillings.
>>> Check out Vietnamese spring rolls to have an even better food tour!
4. Where to eat the best Vietnamese summer rolls?
The versatile nature of Vietnamese summer rolls has ensured their popularity all over Vietnam. Still, the best variations of these fresh treats can be found in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
In Ho Chi Minh City, casual eateries and food stalls selling Vietnamese summer rolls are scattered across this huge city, with prices ranging from 5,000 to 30,000 VND. The prices vary depending on the choice of fillings. More upscale restaurants also serve this dish but at a higher price to match the experience and service.
Here are some of the best places serving Vietnamese summer rolls in Ho Chi Minh City:
- Goi Cuon Tom Nhay: 424 Lac Long Quan, Ward 5, District 11
- Goi Cuon Le Van Sy: 359/1/9A Le Van Sy, Ward 13, District 3
- Goi Cuon Ngon Ngon: 322/13 An Duong Vuong, Ward 4, District 5
- Goi Cuon Va Tra Dao: 384/91A Ly Thai To, Ward 10, District 10
- Goi Cuon Hanh: 420A Hoa Hao, Ward 5, District 10
- Goi Cuon Co Phuong: Phan Van Tri, Ward 2, District 5
- Goi Cuon Minh: 84/33 Bui Vien, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1
>>> Check out Sai Gon cuisine and its delicious dishes that you should not miss out on!
Vietnamese cuisine is heavily influenced by geological features. Thus, as you make your way across the country, don’t forget to sample the local food in Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Ha Long.
At these destinations, it is recommended that you choose to stay at Vinpearl. From hotels, and resorts to spas and amusement parks, Vinpearl’s sprawling network of hospitality can be found at some of the best vacation spots in Vietnam:
- For the perk of a luxury beachside resort, consider Vinpearl Phu Quoc, which comes with an exclusive beach, modern and spacious rooms, and knowledgeable staff.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang is equally enticing with a private beach, a golf course, and an amusement park. As a pioneer that helps build the foundation for Vietnam’s tourism, visitors will benefit from Vinpearl’s long experience in the hospitality sector.
- Vinpearl Hoi An consists of two properties situated on two beautiful beaches. Vinpearl Resort & Spa Hoi An and Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An carry the wonderful trademarked services and all-in-one amenities of Vinpearl.
- The nearby Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang is another wonderful place to stay. With spacious and eye-catching villas framed by verdant patches of greenery, your trip to Central Vietnam will be full of comfort and relaxation.
- Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long offers the same benefits with its private beaches, huge outdoor swimming pools, and bay-view rooms. It is also in close proximity with the UNESCO-recognized site of Ha Long Bay.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long to enjoy top-notch amenities and services!
The fresh, versatile, and popular Vietnamese summer rolls are the very definition of a healthy and delicious treat. They have made their way to the bucket lists of many travelers, becoming another ideal option for you to enjoy on your upcoming food tour in Vietnam.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long for the best travel experience Vietnam has to offer!
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang to enjoy your trip to the fullest without breaking the bank!