What is Valentine’s Day? St. Valentine's Day is an annual celebration of romantic love, friendship, and adoration, taking place on February 14. Despite having been celebrated for hundreds of years, few people are aware of the history and development of Valentine’s Day. Read on if you are curious about some fascinating facts regarding this day.
1. When is Valentine's Day? What is Valentine's day for?
Valentine’s Day, also known as Saint Valentine’s Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine, is commemorated by people in numerous nations on February 14 every year. If you asked people from different countries “What is Valentine’s Day for?”, you may receive different answers as different cultures have developed their own traditions for this romantic festival. Valentine's Day is celebrated in some nations as a day for showing love to family and friends rather than romantic partners. While in some other parts of the world, it is considered an ideal occasion to give presents to friends to express appreciation.
Still, Valentine’s Day is generally a special day dedicated to romantic love. It is the perfect time for loving couples to express their affection with greetings and presents, such as cards, flowers, chocolates, as well as to spend quality time together.
2. Origin of Valentine's day: Why is Valentine's Day celebrated on 14 Feb?
There are several legends associated with Valentine's Day. One of them is that Valentine's Day is named after Saint Valentine, a Catholic priest who lived in Rome in the 3rd century. At that time, there was a cruel king named Claudius II, who was against love and marriage. He felt that by falling in love or marrying, warriors lost sight of their ideals, and that a married man is constantly concerned about what would happen to his family after his death. Therefore, he created strict regulations preventing Roman soldiers from getting married and anyone who violated his rules would be punished severely.
All of the troops were dissatisfied with the king's decision. However, Valentine was the only one brave enough to go against the king's decision. He organized weddings for these warriors in secret, which established his reputation as a believer in the importance of love. When King Claudius II got the news, Saint Valentine was executed on February 14, 270. To remember his sacrifice, Valentine's Day is named after him and celebrated on the day of his passing.
3. How is Valentine’s Day celebrated: 3 most popular things to do on this day
Although different cultures have developed their own ways to celebrate the day of love, there are some common fascinating activities that loving couples often do together on this special occasion.
3.1. Spend time with the loved one
If you and your significant other are both good at cooking, it will be a wonderful idea to arrange a warm and romantic dinner at your house and enjoy it together on Valentine’s Day. Cooking together is a wonderful way to have fun and discover the different facets of each other while having a meal together in the comfort of your home opens the door for communication on different topics.
3.2. Surprise the partner with meaningful gifts
As Valentine’s Day gifts play a crucial role in not only showering your sweetheart with love but also expressing your deep affection for them, it is highly recommended that you surprise your partner with a special gift. DIY items, a box of chocolates, or a bunch of red roses are some wonderful choices for you.
3.3. Take a trip together to romantic places
If you and your significant other are fond of traveling, taking a trip together to some well-known and attractive tourist destinations such as Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang in Vietnam is a great idea to celebrate the day of love. In the S-shaped country, the hotel and resort system of Vinpearl is always among the top choices of couples for their vacation on Valentine's Day.
- On the pearl island, Vinpearl Phu Quoc hotels and resorts are great destinations for couples looking to escape from the bustling life and enjoy peaceful moments together. Vinpearl Phu Quoc provides visitors with luxurious hotel rooms and private villas, along with a plethora of high-end services.
- If you plan to spend your Valentine week in the beautiful coastal city of Nha Trang, the elegant and all-inclusive hotels and resorts of Vinpearl Nha Trang are ideal choices for you. At Vinpearl Nha Trang, you have an opportunity to experience world-class accommodation and all sorts of amenities, such as outdoor swimming pools, children's playgrounds, babysitting services, restaurants, bars, gyms, and so on.
- During your trip to Hoi An Ancient Town, it is highly recommended that you stay at Vinpearl Resort & Spa Hoi An and Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An, which are the two properties of Vinpearl Hoi An, Nam Hoi An. They are ideal destinations for anyone wishing to relax and get away from the stress of everyday life, as you will have the opportunity to stay in luxurious hotel rooms with an expansive view of Hoi An and experience a myriad of top-notch services.
- In Da Nang, Vinpearl Da Nang is a perfect destination for couples to enjoy their Valentine’s Day together. Located near Non Nuoc Beach, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang offers thoughtfully designed rooms with expansive views of Da Nang’s white sand beaches, as well as all sorts of amenities that will satisfy your demands.
This article regarding “What is Valentine’s Day?” has provided you with interesting facts about the history and development of this special day and also suggested some ideas to make your upcoming trip of love more memorable. Hopefully, you will have a romantic and unforgettable Valentine’s Day with your significant other.