Xa Loi Buddhist Temple is known as a cultural icon of Ho Chi Minh City. This place is currently preserving many cultural treasures related to Buddhism in Vietnam. If you are planning to visit Ho Chi Minh City, this temple will undoubtedly be a recommended location for your itinerary.
1. General introduction to Xa Loi Buddhist Temple in Saigon
Address: No. 89, Ba Huyen Thanh Quan Street, Ward 7, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
1.2. Opening hours:
The temple is open every day to the public:
- Morning: 7:00 am - 11:00 am
- Afternoon: 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Evening: 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Note: On holidays or special occasions, Xa Loi Temple is open from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm.
2. Learn about the long-standing history of Xa Loi Temple
The construction of Xa Loi Buddhist Temple started in 1956 and was completed in 1958. It was the headquarters of the South Vietnamese Buddhist Association until 1981.
From 1981 to May 1993, this famous temple in Vietnam was the headquarters of the Vietnam Buddhist Sangha.
From 1999 to 2001, the temple underwent a large restoration. Still, it has retained its original design and preserved its distinctive architectural values.
Xa Loi Buddhist Temple is currently over 50 years old and has been a place of weekly teaching for those who want to study Buddhist philosophy. Every Sunday morning, the temple is open for everyone to come and listen to the sermon.
3. Things to explore in Xa Loi Buddhist Temple Ho Chi Minh City
3.1. The architecture of the main hall
The main hall of Xa Loi Buddhist Temple has unique architecture. It has an area of more than 400 square meters. The many large windows here bring in much natural light, giving a comfortable and airy atmosphere.
Inside the main hall is a large statue of Shakyamuni Buddha and 15 paintings depicting the history of the Buddha, from his birth to parinirvana. Next to the statue is a jade tower with the shape of a bodhi leaf, with sacred relics placed at the top.
3.2. The three-arched-entrance gate and the seven-tier tower
- The three-arched-entrance gate
The temple has two three-arched-entrance gates: the main one on Ba Huyen Thanh Quan Street and the side one on Su Thien Chieu Street. Going through the main gate, you will see a seven-tier tower that has set a record as the tallest bell tower in Vietnam.
- The seven-tier tower
This tower is the highlight of Xa Loi Buddhist Temple. It is 32 meters tall with 7 floors. On each floor, there is a Buddha statue. Each floor has 4 large walls and 4 small walls forming an octagonal structure. On the top floor hangs a bronze bell of 2 tons in weight, 1.2 meters in diameter, and 1.6 meters high.
3.3. Precious treasures associated with history
Xa Loi Buddhist Temple has been preserving many precious treasures associated with history, such as:
- The lacquered board with four words "Dong Thuy Phap Vu" written by Queen Mother Tu Hy
- The silver stupa containing jade relics given by Dharma Master Dien Boi from Taiwan
- The bronze tower with a unique Indian design given by the Indian Consulate in Vietnam
- The over-1000-year-old Pali scriptures containing precious words of the Buddha when he turned the wheel of the Dharma
4. Important notes for your visit to Xa Loi Buddhist Temple
- Only light one incense stick, refrain from burning too much incense
- The temple is a sacred place, so you should dress politely and avoid revealing clothes
- Keep your voices down and walk lightly
- Don’t touch the artifacts
- Don’t litter
- Mind your belongings, especially on special occasions when the temple is very crowded
Besides Xa Loi Buddhist Temple, there are many other gorgeous places to visit in Saigon, such as Guandi Temple, Thien Hau Pagoda, Mariamman Hindu Temple, Jade Emperor Pagoda, Tan Dinh Church, etc. They are all famous spiritual tourist sites that feature distinctive architecture and beautiful landscapes, awaiting you to explore.
In addition to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam is well-known for many other alluring destinations, such as Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Da Nang. No matter which place you choose to come to next, remember to plan your accommodation in advance.
To have the most impressive and memorable experience possible, consider the lodging services of Vinpearl hotel and resort system. With properties conveniently located in the most popular tourist destinations, Vinpearl is a top-rated brand of accommodation in Vietnam, providing first-rate services:
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc: Here, visitors are welcome to participate in many fantastic activities, such as relaxing in a spa hut on the lake, listening to live music, enjoying regional dishes, and admiring the magnificent sunset.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang: A system of upscale hotels, an amusement park, and plenty of outdoor space makes Vinpearl Nha Trang one of the best resorts in the city.
- Vinpearl Hoi An: These are ideal locations for you to make priceless memories with your friends and family. The two resorts welcome you with opulent lodgings, a large outdoor infinity pool, and lush natural surroundings.
- Vinpearl Da Nang: The resort is regarded as a tranquil retreat by the azure sea. It brings a peaceful ambiance with villas in neoclassical style encircling a lake, along with the premises full of green fruit trees.
In addition to being a historical and cultural icon of Saigon that adds to the city’s attractiveness, Xa Loi Buddhist Temple is a pride of Vietnamese Buddhists. Hopefully, this article has given you the necessary information about one of the most famous Buddhist temples in Vietnam for your upcoming trip to the city.