Mariamman Hindu Temple, also known as Mariamman Temple Vietnam, is a famous tourist attraction in Ho Chi Minh City. If you are passionate about traveling and exploring unique and distinctive architecture, Mariamman Hindu Temple should be on your travel bucket list because you will be astonished by its splendidness and magnificence.
1. Where is Mariamman Hindu Temple Vietnam? How to get there?
- Location: 45 Truong Dinh Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Opening hours:
- Every day, 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Close at noon, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Ticket fee: Free
- How to get there
It is simple to go to the Mariamman Hindu Temple Vietnam because it is situated in the heart of District 1 in Ho Chi Minh City.
You can catch buses number 105 or 44, both of which stop at the Hindu Temple; the fee is incredibly cheap (5,000 VND/trip).
Visitors can also grab to reach the temple's address.
Additionally, you can travel alone in a private vehicle. Renting a motorcycle in this location costs from 100,000 to 150,000 VND daily.
Remember: There is only space for motorbikes there and no car park. Therefore, if you drive a car, you must park it somewhere else and walk to the Hindu Temple Ho Chi Minh.
2. About the name and history of Mariamman Hindu Temple
- Name origin of Mariamman Hindu Temple Vietnam
People who first visit Mariamman Hindu Temple would undoubtedly wonder where the name of the temple came from.
The temple is named to honor the Indian deity, Mariamman. Mariamman is known as the goddess who brings fertile soils and abundant crops that aid farmers in reaping many fruits during their harvests. She is also a lady who always spreads joy and prosperity to the populace.
- History of Mariamman Temple Vietnam
Previously, this temple used to be a tiny structure with a corrugated iron roof, so the Hindu people living and working there could engage in spiritual rituals. In the early 20th century, a portion of the Indian immigrants to Saigon renovated this well-known temple according to the Hindu style. Most of the temple's structure was built by Tamil artisans. Additionally, many construction materials and statues were transported from India.
Notably, the Hindu Temple in Ho Chi Minh City had not been opened to the public until 1990 when The District 1 administration took over the temple and welcomed visitors. Currently, the Mariamman Hindu Temple is approximately 100 years old. Throughout history, the temple has retained its ancient and unique original architecture to become one of the most famous spiritual temples in Ho Chi Minh City. This location has also greeted a massive number of tourists and worshippers daily.
3. What is special about Mariamman Temple Ho Chi Minh City?
3.1. The unique Hindu-style architecture
Undeniably, the Mariamman Hindu temple in Ho Chi Minh City is a masterpiece. The traditional Indian cultural architecture is evident when viewed from the outside.
In the main hall's design of the Mariamman Hindu Temple in Ho Chi Minh City, there is a central shrine where Goddess Mariamman is worshiped. On both sides of her statue are two guards, Pechiamman (on the right) and Maduraiveeran (on the left). Another unskippable feature of the Mariamman Hindu Temple is Simha Vahanam - the lion that serves as the personal ride of the Deity Mariamman. It can be seen in the left-hand corner of the shrine.
Behind the main altar is a U-shaped section. The area's wall is incredibly striking, displaying the bold Hindu culture and beliefs with 18 statues of gods curved in various styles, each embodying the hopes of the populace.
3.2. The ritual performed twice daily by fire
The fire sacrifice ritual for Mariamman and the gods occurs daily, at precisely 10 am and 7 pm. According to folklore beliefs, people who participate in this event are also blessed to receive Agni's fire, so many people often come to attend every day.
A large number of people bring offerings to worship the goddess Mariamman because they have a deep sense of her sanctity. Offerings are diverse, ranging from incense, lamps, rice, and fruits to cooking oil. Specially, almost all ceremonial items are sold right in front of the temple gate, so it is convenient for tourists to purchase and well-prepare them before attending the ritual.
4. The best places to visit near Mariamman Hindu Temple
Besides Mariamman Hindu Temple Vietnam, the wide variety of magnificent places to visit in Ho Chi Minh City await you to set foot and explore. Here are a few popular destinations near Hindu Temple Ho Chi Minh we recommend so that you can easily plan your trip.
- Ben Thanh Market: It has been a center of commerce since French colonialism and an iconic market in Saigon. In addition to being a prevalent check-in location that should be noticed when visitors arrive in Ho Chi Minh City, Ben Thanh market is also a site where you can shop for numerous local specialties.
- Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral: It is recognized as one of the world's most magnificent cathedrals. This enduring work of art, which serves as the city of Ho Chi Minh's architectural emblem, welcomes a large influx of new visitors each day looking for sanctity, regal antiquity, and picturesque photo opportunities
- Nguyen Hue Walking Street: This is a well-known entertainment site in Ho Chi Minh City. A trip to Nguyen Hue Walking Street is like joining a mini Vietnamese community, with much joy and interests to discover, including attending street exhibitions and art galleries, enjoying street food, etc.
In addition to the above attractive tourist sites, visitors could consider other suggested places to visit in Ho Chi Minh City: Independence Palace, Landmark 81 Vietnam, Jade Emperor Pagoda, War Remnants Museum, etc. Each has a different beauty, making those unmissable destinations when you discover the city.
Besides Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam has a lot of attractive destinations like Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, etc. Remember to plan in advance for each place you want to go in Vietnam. To have the most impressive and meaningful experience, you should experience the accommodation services of the hotel and resort system of Vinpearl - the top-rated brand with high-class services in Vietnam, located in most touristy attractions…
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc: Coming here, visitors are welcome to participate in various activities, such as experiencing the spa services on the lake, enjoying live music, and admiring the spectacular grandeur of the sunset.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang: It is the premier resort with a system of high-class hotels and an amusement park... When you arrive here, those undoubtedly astound you.
- Vinpearl Hoi An: The resort greets you with elegant accommodations, the city's largest outdoor infinity pool, and breathtaking views of the Cham and Cua Dai Islands. The resort's lush, natural setting and ample outdoor space make it the perfect location for capturing unforgettable memories with friends and family.
- Vinpearl Da Nang: It is considered a peaceful haven by the blue sea of water and has been voted "The Most Attractive Beach on the Planet” by Forbes. The resort is also a tranquil refuge in the attractive landscape painting, with villas in the Neoclassical style enveloped by the lake and a fruit-filled campus, so it is worth treating yourselves or your family a memorable trip here.
When you have the chance to visit Ho Chi Minh City, Mariamman Hindu Temple is obviously a fantastic and magnificent place that you should not miss due to its unique Hindu-style architecture and religious significance towards local residents. Hopefully, the information will be valuable for you to plan your trip to discover beautiful tourist attractions in Ho Chi Minh in general and Mariamman Temple Vietnam in particular. Are you ready to embark on your incredible journey to these locations with us?