Ban Co Peak is an impressive vantage point in Da Nang, offering breathtaking views of the city's natural beauty. With its panoramic vistas, verdant forests, and tranquil atmosphere, it's no wonder why the peak has captured the hearts of so many travelers.
1. About Ban Co Peak - an attractive destination in Da Nang
Ban Co Peak is situated on the renowned Son Tra Peninsula of Da Nang, approximately 9 kilometers west of the city center in Tho Quang Ward, Son Tra District. The peak is gifted with a picturesque and mysterious beauty, blending in with the vast sea and refreshing greenery. Standing 700 meters above sea level as the highest point in the city, Ban Co Peak is affectionately called "Da Nang's rooftop" by the locals.
Alongside the stunning and mesmerizing landscape, Ban Co Peak is also home to a unique and fascinating legend. According to the story, a fairy once descended to Son Tra Peninsula. Enamored by the area's beauty, the fairy used his magic to create a chessboard made of rock and play the game on his own.
By chance, a master chess fairy named De Thich passed by and challenged him to a match. After many consecutive days, the two fairies were still evenly matched, and neither could gain the upper hand.
One day, a group of beautiful goddesses appeared on a beach near Son Tra Island, later known as Tien Sa Beach. De Thich was distracted by the playful sounds of the goddesses and made a wrong move, ultimately losing the game.
After the other fairy flew back to heaven in joy, De Thich remained at the peak, determined to find a way to unravel the chess game.
As a result, the locals built a stone chessboard and a statue of De Thich here. The peak was thereby named Ban Co Peak, meaning "Chessboard Peak," and became a popular attraction for visitors to the peninsula.
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Da Nang to enjoy Ban Co Peak’s scenic view!
2. Things to do on your excursion to Ban Co Peak Da Nang
2.1. Admire the breathtaking landscape of Da Nang from above
Coming to Ban Co Peak in Da Nang, one of the first things you should do is admire the city's breathtaking landscape from above. The peak offers a panoramic view of the entire city and its surroundings, which is truly mesmerizing. You can witness the serene beaches, lush green mountains, and dynamic cityscape from a 700-meter height.
2.2. Watch the stunning sunrise and the sunset
The beauty of the landscape is enhanced during sunrise and sunset, where you can see the sun painting the sky with vibrant colors.
The sunrise is especially spectacular, with the first rays of light casting an orange and pink glow over the horizon.
As the sun sets, the sky turns into a beautiful array of red, orange, and purple hues, creating an unforgettable sight.
2.3. Explore the giant chess board and the statue of De Thich
Once you get to Ban Co Peak, taking a photo with the chessboard and De Thich Statue should be at the top of your to-do list. Take a seat and "play" a game with De Thich as if you are a chess master.
2.4. Camp overnight night at Ban Co Peak
A favorite activity of tourists and young locals when visiting Son Tra peninsula is camping on Ban Co Peak. With cool weather all year round and a beautifully surreal landscape amidst layers of clouds, there is nothing more wonderful than camping overnight here with your friends and families.
2.5. Visit other tourist attractions near Ban Co Peak
Son Tra Peninsula is famous for numerous attractions worth visiting. The top three attractions near Da Nang’s rooftop that you must visit are:
- Linh Ung Pagoda: This is the largest and most famous temple in Central Vietnam. Located on the road to Ban Co Peak, the temple stands with its back against a primeval forest and its face towards the sea, featuring traditional Vietnamese temple architecture. The most prominent feature here is the 67-meter-tall statue of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva - the tallest statue in Southeast Asia.
- But Beach: This beach is located on the way to Linh Ung Pagoda and is quite close to the Ban Co Peak. But Beach has a crescent shape that attracts Vietnamese and international tourists alike. Visitors can rent huts, enjoy food, or participate in many beach activities such as coral reef diving, surfing, parachuting, or immersing themselves in the cool and fresh water.
- Tien Sa Lighthouse: This is one of Vietnam's oldest lighthouses, built by the French in 1902. It is 223 meters above the sea and about 20 kilometers away from the city center. At the top of the lighthouse, you can enjoy a panoramic view of the vast sea and mountains.
>>> Find many other EPIC things to do in Da Nang HERE to enrich your travel to this beautiful city!
3. A brief guide for your visit to Ban Co Peak in Da Nang
3.1. How to get to Ban Co Peak?
From Da Nang city center, you can get to Ban Co peak by either one of the two following routes:
- Route 1: From Thuan Phuoc Bridge, go along Yet Kieu Street, then turn towards People's Army Navy Base 3. Go straight along the trail to reach the peak.
This route is considered the easier one, but there are not many beautiful sights along the way.
- Route 2: Starting from Hoang Sa Road, go toward Linh Ung Pagoda, then follow this road to the top of Ban Co Peak.
With this route, you can see many famous spots along the way such as My Khe Beach, Linh Ung Pagoda, the thousand-year-old banyan tree, But Beach, etc. However, the roads can be a bit more difficult to navigate. If you take this route, it is best to travel by motorbike to appreciate the beautiful scenery of Son Tra Peninsula with ease.
3.2. When is the best time to visit Ban Co Peak?
The best time to visit Ban Co Peak is early morning. Refrain from coming in the afternoon when it gets too hot or in late afternoon when it gets too dark.
Plus, the road can be quite slippery on rainy days. Therefore, remember to check the weather forecast to make sure that you depart when the weather is at its finest.
3.3. Extra tips for a perfect experience at Ban Co Peak
- Choose lightweight and breathable clothing for ease of movement.
- Riding a motorbike or to the peak is popular among young people. You can rent a bike in the city at a fairly affordable price.
- The mountain peak is usually very sunny at noon, so bring a hat, umbrella, or sunscreen to avoid heat stroke.
- If you ride a motorbike, drive defensively, keep your handlebars steady, and choose a bike with manual or semi-automatic transmission instead of automatic, as the roads can be steep.
- Keep track of your time to return before 5 pm, as it is not as safe to drive at night.
- Always pay attention to the weather before going. Avoid traveling on rainy days because the roads will be quite slippery.
If you plan to visit Da Nang, remember to book your accommodation in advance so you can have the best experience. Da Nang has a well-developed hotel and resort system that caters to a wide range of travelers. From budget-friendly hotels to luxurious 5-star resorts, visitors can always find a place that suits their preferences and budget.
One of the best resorts in Da Nang is Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang. Nestled on the stunning Non Nuoc Beach, the resort has everything you need for an ultimate tropical getaway. From the infinity pool overlooking the sea to the signature spa treatment, you will feel like royalty from the moment you arrive at Vinpearl. With three restaurants and two bars serving delicious Vietnamese cuisine and a range of activities for guests of all ages, there is something for everyone here.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang to enjoy luxurious accommodation, stunning views, and world-class facilities!
If you are planning a trip to Da Nang, be sure to include Ban Co Peak in your itinerary for an unforgettable experience that will leave you with lasting memories. Whether you are a nature lover, an adventure seeker, or simply looking for a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of city life, Ban Co Peak is the perfect destination you should not miss out on.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang to elevate your traveling experience to a whole next level!