Nestled in the mesmerizing province of Cao Bang, Ban Gioc Waterfalls stands as a true natural wonder of Vietnam. This enchanting fall unveils a breathtaking spectacle as pristine waters cascade from tier to tier, harmonizing with the lush landscapes. Its splendor is a testament to the captivating beauty that Cao Bang generously bestows upon its visitors.
1. Where is Ban Gioc Waterfalls? Is it worth visiting?
- Ban Gioc Waterfall location: Cao Bang Province, Vietnam
Ban Gioc Waterfalls stands as one of the grandest and most captivating Vietnam waterfalls. Found within Dam Thuy Commune, approximately 335 kilometers away from Hanoi, the fall lies on the border between China's Guangxi and Vietnam’s Cao Bang.
Ban Gioc Waterfalls comprises two distinct falls. The main waterfall in the north is about 100 meters wide and 70 meters tall, featuring 3 cascades. When viewed from a distance, it resembles delicate ribbons of white silk gracefully draping the hill's contours. This part constitutes the most expansive and picturesque panorama of Thac Ban Gioc Waterfall Vietnam.
Meanwhile, the waterfall in the south exhibits a weaker water flow, frequently experiencing dry spells during the dry season. In 2021, the Travel+Leisure magazine recognized Ban Gioc Waterfalls among the world's 25 most exquisite waterfalls. In 2023, the renowned SCMP newspaper of Hong Kong honored this place as one of the world's most beautiful natural borders.
2. Best things to do at Ban Gioc Waterfalls, Vietnam
2.1. Pay a visit to Phat Tich Pagoda
Nestled within Dam Thuy Commune, Phat Tich Truc Lam Pagoda is an essential stop on the Ban Gioc Waterfall tour. Positioned at the foot of Phia Nham Mountain, this splendid pagoda lies a mere 500 meters away from the renowned Ban Gioc Waterfalls.
Exhibiting Vietnamese traditional architecture, the pagoda boasts a structure of ironwood adorned with terracotta tiles and ornate gables, presenting an authentic ambiance reminiscent of bygone times. Its features include a grand triple-arched gate, a statue of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, a hall, an ancestral shrine, and a shrine dedicated to venerable figures such as Lady Trieu, Hung Kings, Tran Hung Dao, Nung Tri Cao, etc.
Standing within the pagoda's embrace, visitors are treated to an awe-inspiring vista that unveils the entire Ban Gioc Waterfalls, delicately adorned by lush paddy fields and cradled by a majestic mountain range.
2.2. Contemplate the beauty of rice paddies in Ban Gioc
During late September and October, a radiant spectacle unfolds in the enchanting embrace of Phong Nam Valley near Ban Gioc Waterfalls. Here, rice paddy fields transform into a sea of gold, creating a breathtaking vista that captures the essence of nature's artistry. The golden hues of the ripened Vietnamese rice paddies paint a picture of sheer beauty against the backdrop of the surrounding landscape.
2.3. Cruise alongside the waterfalls
At just VND 50,000 per individual, a raft tour at Ban Gioc Waterfalls provides an affordable opportunity to approach its base. As you embark on this aquatic journey, you will be transported into a realm of awe-inspiring beauty, gliding serenely along the pristine waters that cradle the majestic waterfall. The raft tour allows you to marvel at the cascades up-close. You will feel the cool mist on your skin and hear the mesmerizing symphony of the rushing water. This immersive experience offers a profound connection to nature, allowing you to fully appreciate the grandeur of Ban Gioc Waterfalls Vietnam.
2.4. Participate in the Ban Gioc Waterfall Festival
The Ban Gioc Waterfall Festival, an eagerly awaited annual event in October, celebrates the natural splendor and cultural richness of the region. This vibrant festival is a convergence of local traditions, captivating performances, and regional dishes. It also features a plethora of engaging activities such as tug of war, sack racing, stick pushing, blindfolded duck catching, and chestnut peeling. There are also folk song and dance contests, where the locals showcase their ethnic cultural heritage through captivating performances.
3. Frequently asked questions about Ban Gioc Waterfalls
3.1. How much does an entrance ticket to Ban Gioc Waterfalls cost?
Below are the entrance fee and other service fees at Ban Gioc Waterfall Cao Bang:
- Opening hours: 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM in summer and 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM in winter
- Entrance fee:
- Adult: 45,000 VND
- Children from 1 meter to 1.3 meters tall: 20,000 VND
- Children under 1 meter: Free
- Raft rental: 50,000 VND/person
- Mat rental: 30,000/mat
- Taking photos with horses: 20,000 VND/person
- Motorbike parking: 10,000 VND/motorbike
3.2. How to get to Ban Gioc Waterfalls?
The Hanoi to Ban Gioc Waterfall distance is approximately 335 kilometers by road. Tourists can get to Ban Gioc Waterfall from Hanoi either by car, motorbike, bus, or by taking a Hanoi to Ban Gioc Waterfall tour.
- By car or motorbike: The journey takes around 6 to 7 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions. The route is scenic, but the roads can be narrow and curvy, so drive carefully.
- By bus: Another option is to take a bus from Hanoi to Cao Bang, then take a taxi or rent a motorbike to get to the waterfall.
- By booking a Ban Gioc Waterfall tour from Hanoi: Many companies offer tours to Ban Gioc Waterfalls Vietnam. These tours usually include transportation, meals, and guided visits around the area.
3.3. When is the best time to visit Ban Gioc - Detian Waterfalls?
The best time to visit Ban Gioc Waterfalls is the rainy season between May and September, when Ban Gioc Waterfalls is at its most impressive. The increased precipitation leads to the waterfall expanding and the water pouring, resulting in a striking exhibition of nature’s grandeur. However, heavy downpours might make traveling challenging, especially if you go by motorbike or trekking. Thus, it is essential to check Cao Bang weather in advance.
3.4. What to see near Ban Gioc Falls?
In addition to Phat Tich Pagoda, there are several other enchanting attractions near Ban Gioc Waterfalls that await exploration, such as:
- Nguom Ngao Cave: a fascinating underground spectacle adorned with intricate stalactite and stalagmite formations.
- Khuoi Ky Village: a charming village where the traditions of the Tay ethnic group come to life against a backdrop of the idyllic landscape.
- Thang Hen Lake: a serene highland oasis encircled by lush greenery, offering a peaceful setting for relaxation and leisure activities.
3.5. What to eat on your first visit to Ban Gioc Waterfalls, Vietnam?
On your Ban Gioc Waterfall tour, you will get to indulge in a delectable array of local delicacies:
- Ant egg rice cake (Banh trung kien): a delicacy that blends rice cake batter with ant eggs, creating a unique blend of textures and flavors.
- Cao Bang steamed rice rolls (Banh cuon Cao Bang): the steamed rice rolls in Cao Bang are accompanied by a sweet bone broth rather than the usual fish sauce dip.
- Grilled agarwood fish (Ca tram huong nuong): a regional specialty expertly prepared to highlight the fish's natural flavors.
- Roasted duck (Vit quay): a famous delicacy of Cao Bang, prepared by marinating the meat with a medley of seven local spices.
- Trung Khanh chestnut (Hat de Trung Khanh): a flavorful local treat that boasts a harmonious blend of sweetness and nuttiness.
3.6. Where to stay when visiting Ban Gioc Waterfalls, Cao Bang?
If you are looking for a Ban Gioc Waterfall hotel, Saigon Ban Gioc stands as the sole 4-star resort in the area. In addition, several guesthouses, Cao Bang hotels, and Cao Bang homestays dot the roadside between Nguom Ngao Caves and Ban Gioc Waterfalls. These homestays and hotels near Ban Gioc Waterfall offer a budget-friendly choice, with prices averaging around 10 USD per person per night.
Apart from Cao Bang, Vietnam offers a myriad of promising destinations to explore. From the pristine beaches of Phu Quoc and Nha Trang, the breathtaking limestone islets of Ha Long Bay, to the charming cultural allure of Hoi An and the vibrant cityscape of Da Nang, each destination presents many unique experiences for a memorable Vietnam travel.
Boasting top-tier accommodation and unparalleled hospitality, Vinpearl is an exceptional choice for a memorable stay in Vietnam. Nestled in breathtaking locales, Vinpearl promises an enchanting escape that combines luxury, relaxation, and adventure in the heart of Vietnam. For added excitement, VinWonders presents thrilling adventures that are perfect for those seeking a well-rounded and unforgettable getaway.
Showcasing Vietnam's natural splendor, Ban Gioc Waterfalls stands as a breathtaking masterpiece. Its majestic cascades, lush landscapes, and cultural richness create an unforgettable attraction. Whether you have admired its beauty up close or not, Ban Gioc Waterfalls Vietnam will leave an indelible impression, beckoning you to return and explore its captivating allure time and time again.