Dong Xuan Market is a bustling trade center in the Northern region of Vietnam. Any tourist on a Hanoi travel journey should all experience walking around the market to enjoy the typically vibrant atmosphere. And do not forget to try many attractive dishes bearing the bold flavors of ancient Hanoi here.
1. Where is Dong Xuan Market Vietnam? How to get there?
Dong Xuan Market is a market located in the Old Quarter of Hanoi, Dong Xuan Ward, Hoan Kiem District. The main market area is in the east, while in the west is Dong Xuan Street, in the south is Cau Dong Street, and in the north is Hang Khoai Street. The market is located about 800 meters away from Hoan Kiem Lake and only a short distance away from Long Bien Railway Station and Hang Ma Street.
There are many ways to get to Dong Xuan Market. You can take a bus, or ride a motorbike for more convenience.
If traveling by bus for transportation, you can catch buses number 1, 3, 4, 11, 14, 18, 23, 34, 22, 31, 40, all of which pass by the market.
If traveling by motorbike, follow Dinh Tien Hoang Street to Hang Dao Street. Go straight through Hang Ngang, Hang Duong, and Dong Xuan Streets, then turn right at the intersection of Cau Dong Street. Go another 55 meters to the eastern entrance of Dong Xuan Market. Right next to the market is a motorbike parking area which costs about 10,000 VND/motorbike.
2. The long-established history of Dong Xuan Market Hanoi
Dong Xuan Market is one of the largest markets in Hanoi which has existed for hundreds of years and seen many ups and downs of history. According to historical documents:
- In 1804, the Nguyen Dynasty built a market to the south of To Lich River to trade with foreigners.
- In 1889, after To Lich River was landfilled, the French colonial government relocated the market into a vacant area in today’s Dong Xuan Ward.
- Here in 1890, the French started to build Dong Xuan Market with a total area of about 6,500 square meters.
- In 1990, the market was rebuilt.
- In 1994, there was a big fire that burned almost all of the stalls in the market.
- In 1995, the market was rebuilt again. With a total area of nearly 14,000 square meters and about 2,000 stalls, the market became the largest market in Hanoi today.
- In 2005, the relief "Hanoi in Winter 1946" was solemnly put right next to Dong Xuan Market to commemorate the soldiers and compatriots that laid down their lives to protect the capital city in 1946.
You may also like:
- Vietnam weather: When is the best time to visit the S-shaped country?
- Female names in Vietnam: 100+ MOST popular names from A to X
- Vietnam national flower: A symbol of culture and traditional visual arts
3. How is Dong Xuan Market structured nowadays?
Dong Xuan Market is a wholesale market mainly for traders from the northern provinces. Still, there are also retail stalls. The market is divided into 3 floors, selling all kinds of items, including:
- The 1st floor sells clothes, shoes, accessories, and electronics that are mainly from China.
- The 2nd floor sells clothes and fabrics.
- The 3rd floor sells babies' clothes and other essentials.
- Food and drinks are sold in the northern section until night.
4. What to buy in Dong Xuan Market on your trip?
Dong Xuan Market, like most markets in Southeast Asia, has a bustling section on the 1st floor that sells seafood, meat, and vegetables. The back section sells a variety of pets (cats, dogs, and fish) and fresh flowers from all over Vietnam. If you want to buy souvenirs or clothes, go to the second floor, where there are numerous stalls selling T-shirts, hats, handbags, dresses, and accessories.
The third floor is ideal for parents, particularly mothers, to buy colorful and attractive clothes for them and their children. Toys, stuffed animals, legos, and puzzle games are all available here. It is not an exaggeration to say that everything you require can be found at the market for an affordable price, especially if you have good bargaining skills.
Dong Xuan Market also has a large food court selling exotic local dishes for as little as VND 15,000. Tiet canh (blood pudding), fried frog, bun cha, and banh cuon are all highly recommended dishes here.
To the south of the market, Dong Xuan Alley also offers some delicious Hanoi specialties, such as chao suon sun, goi xoai kho bo, bun cha que tre, and banh cuon.
Many local shops in the vicinity of the market sell traditional Dong Ho paintings, Bat Trang ceramics, sand paintings, Binh Da embroideries, and so on.
Articles for you:
- Discover 13 of the many exciting places to visit near Hanoi for travelers
- Ngoc Son Temple: A long-standing historical and cultural relic of Hanoi
- Noi Bai International Airport: The BIGGEST airport in Northern Vietnam
5. The useful shopping tips that you should not ignore
Before you go to Dong Xuan Market, take note of some tips below:
- The market is very large, therefore, you should wear sandals or sneakers to easily move around the market.
- Choose a convenient means of transportation as the market is nestled deep inside the Old Quarter.
- The market is always very crowded, so pay attention to your belongings.
- At Dong Xuan Market Hanoi, you should always try to bargain so that you can buy goods at a reasonable price.
After your visit to Dong Xuan Market, it is highly recommended that you spend your time discovering the beauty of the capital city at many other tourist attractions. Notably, there is Hoan Kiem Lake, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Hanoi Old Quarter, Hanoi Opera House, Presidential Palace, etc.
In addition, VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium Times City are two modern places you should not miss out on in Hanoi. The aquarium is likened to a miniature ocean, with 3 million cubic meters of seawater and more than 30,000 sea creatures. As the first tunnel aquarium in Hanoi, here, visitors will be free to admire not only fishes but also many unique sea animals right in the heart of Hanoi.
On the other hand, VinKE is a perfect place for families with young children. With a total area of up to 6,000 square meters, it offers many educational games, creating a play and learn space for children. The highlight of VinKE is the numerous job-simulation activities, such as Fire Department, Public Security, Military Academy, VinKE Hospital, Kid Chef, Post Office, etc. Through these games, the children will gain foundational knowledge about their future careers.
>>> Book tickets of VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium now to enjoy interesting experiences right in the heart of Hanoi!
It can be said that Dong Xuan Market is the oldest market in Hanoi, a witness to the long-standing culture and history of the capital city. The market has become an icon of this land and an indispensable destination for tourists when they travel to Hanoi.
>>> Don’t forget to book tickets of VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium after visiting Dong Xuan Market!