Traveling from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City is an adventure that should be on every traveler's bucket list. Whether you prefer to travel by plane, train, or bus, there are countless options available to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable journey. In this article, we'll offer suggestions for transport options and a detailed itinerary to help you plan a smooth journey in this country.
1. Distance from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
Are you planning to travel from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City and wondering about the best way to travel between these two destinations? You have multiple options to choose from, depending on your budget and preferences. In this article, we will explore different ways to travel between these two cities.
- Travel by air
The flight from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City is a popular route operated by many domestic airlines, and the distance can vary depending on the route taken. If flying over Laos and Cambodia, the distance is 1,190 kilometers, while flying over Vietnam's airspace will cover 1,276 kilometers.
- Travel by road
The distance between the two cities is 1,594 kilometers, and there are two roads that connect the cities: Ho Chi Minh Road and National Highway 1A. Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh travel time takes about 30 hours by road between these cities.
- Travel by rail
For the railway, travel through Vietnam for a distance of 1,730 kilometers along the Thong Nhat railway line. The journey lasts approximately 40 hours, offering stunning views of the Vietnamese countryside.
2. A detailed instruction on how to get from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh
Vietnam is a beautiful country that boasts a rich cultural heritage and breathtaking landscapes. Here's a detailed guide on different ways to travel an S-shaped country journey.
2.1. Flights from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh
Traveling by plane is the ideal solution for a quick and convenient trip from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City. Departing from Noi Bai International Airport and landing at Tan Son Nhat International Airport, the flight time is only around 2 hours.
Four domestic airlines—Vietnam Airlines, Jetstar, Vietjet Air, and Bamboo Airways—offer over 30 return flights daily, so you can easily find a flight that suits your schedule.
Airfares range from 1,100,000 to 2,546,000 VND for one-way or round-trip tickets, depending on your preferred airline and the season. It's worth noting that prices tend to be higher during peak tourist seasons and holidays, so booking in advance is recommended to secure the best deal.
Are you wondering how to book a cheap flight from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City? You should keep an eye out for incentives and promotions offered by airlines and try to book your flight during the lower tourist season from September to November.
>>> Read more: Airlines in Vietnam: TOP 5 best domestic brands for passengers
2.2. Trains from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
For those looking to explore the country, taking the train between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City is an exciting and affordable option.
There are five trains traveling daily between Hanoi Railway Station and Saigon Railway Station, including SE7, SE5, SE9, SE3, and SE1, which take around 31 hours and 25 minutes on average. Whatever option you go with, you are guaranteed a speedy journey that’s sure to be worth your while.
The price of a one-way train ticket from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh is 1,078,000 VND and includes insurance. However, fares can vary depending on when the ticket is purchased,train subjects, and seat position within the carriage.
If you are planning a trip between Vietnam's two largest cities, why not consider traveling in luxury on one of the '5-star' trains? The SE3/4 and SE5/6 passenger trains run between Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi and offer a comfortable travel experience that is akin to being on an airplane. These trains are composed entirely of luxurious wagons that make the journey more enjoyable.
2.3. Buses from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
Looking to take a bus from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City? The travel time range is about 36–38 hours and costs between 650,000 VND and 1,100,000 VND, depending on the quality of the car and the time of booking.
For convenience, we recommend the following bus companies with their schedules and fares:
- Hoang Long New Garage: Departing from Hanoi at 9 a.m., 1 p.m., and 4 p.m. with a ticket price of 900,000 VND from Mien Dong Bus Station.
- Ty Nghia Garage: Two trips per day depart at 1:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. from Nuoc Ngam Bus Station, with a ticket price of 1,050,000 VND.
- A Ba Garage: Three trips per day starting at 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. from the Eastern Bus Station, with a ticket price of 1,000,000 VND.
2.4. Travel from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh by motorbike or car
There are two main suggested routes that you can choose from: Route 1 via NH1A and Route 2 via NH1A and NH14. Route 1 takes approximately 30 hours to reach your destination, while Route 2 takes approximately 28 hours.
Both routes commence in Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, and end in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Route 1: Follow Xa Dan and Giai Phong to National Highway 1A at Hoang Liet → then enter Mai Chi Tho Street → go to Hanoi Highway/NH52 → follow Truong Sa, Nguyen Van Troi, and Cong Hoa to Truong Chinh, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Route 2 also starts by following Xa Dan and Giai Phong to National Highway 1A at Hoang Liet → then takes a different path through the Hanoi Expressway (Ninh Binh/DCT01, National Highway 14B, and National Highway 14 → continuing on DT741 in Dong Xoai Town, A/NH22 at Tan Xuan in Ho Chi Minh City → turning left into Truong Chinh, Ho Chi Minh City.
>>> Read more: Map of Ho Chi Minh City for tourists: 10 places that you should not miss
3. The perfect Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh itinerary for 2 weeks
Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City is an itinerary with diverse landscapes, cultural landmarks, delicious cuisine, and friendly locals. With so much to see and do on this journey, here is an ideal plan for two weeks so you can experience some of the best that these two cities have to offer.
Week 1: If you only have one week to spend in Hanoi, here are some must-visit destinations and activities to fill your days:
- Start your trip off with a stroll through the Old Quarter, where you can marvel at the charming architecture and vibrant street life.
- Don't forget to stop for some delicious Hanoi street food along the way!
- Take a day trip to Ha Long Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its stunning natural beauty and rock formations.
- On the fourth day, visit the Temple of Literature, the first national university in Vietnam, and learn about its rich history and architecture.
- Spend a day in Tam Coc, where you can take a boat ride through caves and along rice paddies.
- End your week in Hanoi with a relaxing stroll around Hoan Kiem Lake, a picturesque spot in the heart of the city.
Week 2: Ho Chi Minh City, previously known as Saigon, is a bustling metropolis in the south of Vietnam. Here are some of the must-visit destinations in Ho Chi Minh City in one week:
- Visit the historic Ben Thanh Market, where you can find anything from souvenirs to local food and coffee.
- Don't miss out on the vibrant nightlife in Ho Chi Minh City with its countless bars, clubs, and rooftop lounges.
- Indulge in the delicious street food in Ho Chi Minh City, from pho to banh mi, and try some unique dishes like Banh Xeo and Com Tam.
- Take a trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels to learn about the Vietnamese War.
- Enjoy the beautiful scenery and experience local life in the Mekong Delta.
- Spend a day at Vung Tau Beach, just a short drive from the city, where you can relax on the sandy beaches and indulge in fresh seafood.
If you are planning a Vietnam travel adventure, don't miss the opportunity to indulge in a truly luxurious stay. Your search for the perfect accommodation ends with Vinpearl hotels & resorts. This premium brand ensures that you not only enjoy opulence at its finest but also experience unmatched comfort throughout your stay.
Vinpearl hotels & resorts boast a range of world-class amenities and services, including elegant accommodations with breathtaking views and sumptuous dining options that satisfy your every culinary desire. Whether you are looking for a romantic getaway or a family vacation, Vinpearl has you covered.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long to create unforgettable memories with your loved ones!
With each mile traveled, from diverse landscapes and cultures to friendly local people, the journey from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City is a beautiful and breathtaking experience. As you travel through Vietnam’s stunning landscapes and bustling cities, make sure to stop and see all the amazing sights and soak up the culture. Pack your bags, grab a camera, and prepare yourself for the adventure of a lifetime now!
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long for a one-of-a-kind experience in Vietnam!
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang to explore the wonders of Vietnam with your family and friends!