Ho Chi Minh City airport (also known as Tan Son Nhat International airport) is one of the largest airports in Vietnam. Located in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City, it welcomes millions of passengers every year from around the world. Here, you can conveniently get to many famous attractions in the city, such as Ben Thanh Market or Bitexco Financial Tower near the airport.
1. An overview of Ho Chi Minh City airport
- Official name: Tan Son Nhat International Airport
- Location: Truong Sa Street, Ward 2, Tan Binh District, Ho Chi Minh City
- Airport code Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam:
- IATA (International Air Transport Association) code: SGN
- ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) code: VVTS
Tan Son Nhat Airport was built by the French in 1930, with a red-soil runway stretching 1,500 meters in length. The airport welcomed its first flight from Paris in 1933.
In 1956, the US Army expanded the runway to 3,000 meters to better serve military purposes during the Second Indochina War. The airport was mainly used as a base for the US and South Vietnam Air Force until the war ended.
In May 1975, Ho Chi Minh City Airport was taken over by the government of Vietnam. Now, it covers an area of 1,500 hectares, with two runways and 15 taxiways. There are two terminals for domestic and international flights respectively. Annually, the airport serves 15 million domestic passengers and 13 million international passengers on six domestic airlines and 40 international airlines.
2. Things to know about the infrastructure of Ho Chi Minh City airport
Much like other major international airports, Ho Chi Minh City airport is equipped with several modern amenities and facilities to ensure a smooth journey for all travelers. Here is a quick overview of the main features of this airport in Ho Chi Minh City
This international airport in Ho Chi Minh City has of two parallel runways:
- 25R/07L: 3,048 meters x 45.72 meters
- 25L/07R: 3,800 meters x 45.72 meters
Tan Son Nhat International Airport's aircraft parking lot offers 100 commercial spaces, which are available 24/7. Located at each end of the runways, this area is equipped with the necessary ground support equipment to handle aircraft fuel efficiently.
2.3. Passenger terminals
There are two passenger terminals, with a total floor area of 150,000 square meters, for domestic and international flights respectively.
- Domestic terminal: 40,948 square meters wide with two floors: the ground floor (Domestic Arrival Hall) and the first floor (Domestic Departure Hall)
- International terminal: 108,921 square meters wide with four floors: the ground floor and first floor for arrivals, the second floor for departures, and the waiting area.
3. Which airlines operate and serve flights at Ho Chi Minh City airport?
Some domestic airlines offering flights to and from Tan Son Nhat Airport in Saigon are Vietnam Airlines, Vietjet Air, Pacific Airlines, Vietravel Airlines, and Bamboo Airway.
There are a variety of international airlines at Ho Chi Minh City airport. Some notable ones include Korean Air, Japan Airlines, Asiana Airlines, Nordwind Airlines, etc., which offer flights to and from Hong Kong, Seoul, Bangkok, Singapore, etc.
4. How to go from Ho Chi Minh airport to the city center and vice versa?
If you are a first-time visitor to Ho Chi Minh City, below are some convenient ways for you to get to the city center from the airport and vice versa:
- By taxi: Many taxis are readily available outside the terminals, and the journey typically takes around 30 minutes, costing approximately 70,000 VND (around $3).
Consider opting for XANH SM Taxi. XANH SM Taxi - the first electric taxi company in Vietnam, operated entirely with VinFast electric cars. Customers who travel by XANH SM taxi not only receive an excellent standard of service, but they also join XANH SM in its efforts to reduce vehicle emissions and safeguard the environment. XANH SM provides standard and luxury taxi service, airport taxi, with attractive promotions. Customers can easily book a taxi in 04 ways:
(1) Call the national hotline 1900 2088
(2) Wave on the street like a traditional taxi
(3) Book on the Taxi Xanh SM app. Click HERE to download the app
(4) Use the beVinFast service on the multi-service customer platform BE to book Xanh SM taxi
- By bus: Compared to taking a taxi, using public buses is cheaper. Currently, there is bus number 152 which leaves from terminals B06–B09 for Ben Thanh Market. The fare is around 20,000 VND (approximately $1).
- By airport shuttle: For a more comfortable ride, consider taking an airport shuttle, with fares ranging between $5-7 USD (depending on the destination).
5. Handy tips for your arrivals at Ho Chi Minh City airport
To make your trip smoother and simpler, here are some handy tips for when you land at Ho Chi Minh City airport:
- The airport provides free wifi
- Water stations are available at T1 Domestic Terminal (Gates 5, 10, 16) and T2 International Terminal (Gates 15, 16, 18).
- Make sure to bring your passport, visa, and any other necessary documents
- Catering services are available at The Phoenix Restaurant, +84 Cafe, Cuisine de Saigon Restaurant, Fresh2Go, and Gogi House
- Only choose a reputable taxi company for a ride, refrain from getting on unnamed cabs to avoid taxi touts
Ho Chi Minh City is a must-visit destination for tourists, boasting sights like Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral, Independence Palace, Landmark 81 Vietnam, Jade Emperor Pagoda, War Remnants Museum, and Bui Vien Walking Street, etc. With Ho Chi Minh City airport, you can get to Ho Chi Minh City and explore this vibrant city at any time of the year.
In addition, Vietnam is home to a range of other captivating destinations, such as Ha Noi, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Da Nang. Some of these stunning locations have their own international Vietnam airports, providing easy access for visitors from around the world.
Before coming to Vietnam, planning your accommodation in advance is crucial. For a luxurious vacation experience, Vinpearl hotels and resorts are the places to come.
As the top brand of accommodation in the country, Vinpearl provides high-class services and has resorts located in many popular tourist destinations:
- Relax at Vinpearl Phu Quoc, located right on the beautiful Bai Dai Beach, featuring an elegant design.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang provides all-inclusive experiences at one of the world's most stunning bays.
- Uncover a captivating mix of modern architecture and natural beauty at Vinpearl Hoi An.
- Rejoice in your own slice of paradise with the majestic Vinpearl Da Nang overlooking pristine white sand beaches.
Ho Chi Minh City airport is a top choice for both domestic and international flights. With excellent facilities and all the comforts necessary for a smooth trip, it is easy to see why this airport should be your next transit place. Get those tickets and get ready for the adventure of a lifetime - Ho Chi Minh City awaits!