During your Ho Chi Minh City travel, visiting Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts should be one of the top activities on your bucket list. This museum currently stores and exhibits thousands of artifacts, sculptures, and paintings of important cultural and historical values, which will provide you with abundant knowledge about Vietnam’s cultural diversity and richness.
1. An overview of Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts
- Address: No. 97A, Pho Duc Chinh Street, Nguyen Thai Binh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Opening hours: 8.00 am - 5.00 pm daily
- Entrance fee: 30,000 VND for adults and 15,000 VND for students bringing student cards
Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts is an iconic symbol of Ho Chi Minh City, having a prime location in the heart of this energetic city. The museum itself is widely regarded as a valuable architectural masterpiece, not to mention a plethora of precious artifacts and works of art inside. Therefore, it attracts thousands of domestic and foreign tourists who are enthusiastic about the beautiful architecture of the building and the special collections exhibited in the museum.
2. A brief history of Museum of Fine Arts in Ho Chi Minh City
In the beginning, Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts's owner was a Chinese-born trader named Hua Bon Hoa, who was one of Southern Vietnam's most affluent businessmen during the colonial era. He also owned numerous buildings in Saigon, including Tu Du Hospital, Majestic Hotel, and Ho Chi Minh City Emergency Center.
- In 1929: French architect Rivera designed the building, perfectly combining European architecture (French) and Asian architecture (Chinese)
- In 1934: Construction was officially completed
- In 1987: The building was converted into Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts by the City People’s Committee
- In 1992: The museum was officially inaugurated
Since then, the museum has become a place to store and display many famous works of art, from antiques, sculptures to paintings of great artistic and cultural values.
3. The best guide to reach Ho Chi Minh City Fine Arts Museum
Located on Pho Duc Chinh Street, Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts can be easily reached from any part of the city. To get to the museum from Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica Saigon, you should follow Le Duan Street to the end before turning left to Nam Ky Khoi Nghia Street. Continue going until you reach the crossroad with Nguyen Thai Binh Street. Turn right and continue going for 200 meters and you will reach the museum.
- Means of transportation
There are numerous means of transportation that tourists can choose from to get to this attraction, among which the three most popular are bus, taxi, and motorbike. If you want to take the bus, you can catch buses number 03, 04, 152, 18, 19, 53, 56, 93, or 96. They all make a stop nearby which is only a short walk away from Ho Chi Minh Museum of Fine Arts. If you choose to travel by taxi, you can consider XANH SM taxi company for the best experience.
XANH SM Taxi - the first electric taxi company in Vietnam, operated entirely with VinFast electric cars. Customers who travel by XANH SM taxi not only receive an excellent standard of service, but they also join XANH SM in its efforts to reduce vehicle emissions and safeguard the environment. XANH SM provides standard and luxury taxi service, airport taxi, with attractive promotions. Customers can easily book a taxi in 04 ways:
(1) Call the national hotline 1900 2088
(2) Wave on the street like a traditional taxi
(3) Book on the Taxi Xanh SM app. Click HERE to download the app
(4) Use the beVinFast service on the multi-service customer platform BE to book Xanh SM taxi
4. What to experience in Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts?
As one of the most popular tourist attractions in Ho Chi Minh City, there are various exciting activities that you can do here:
4.1. Explore the structure and architecture of the museum
Ho Chi Minh Museum of Fine Arts has the Art Deco architectural style, which harmonizes between the most charming characteristics of Asian and European architecture. Covering 3,514 square meters, Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts is divided into three buildings with diverse functions:
- Building 1: This area displays modern artworks of many famous painters prior to 1975
- Building 2: A myriad of artifacts of different authors are exhibited here
- Building 3: This area displays a huge collection of ancient and modern art made from unique materials, such as stone, ceramic, and wood
4.2. Contemplate the collections exhibited in the museum
Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts is a must-visit destination for tourists who are interested in Vietnamese arts and culture. The museum is dedicated to collecting, preserving, and displaying outstanding works of art that represent Vietnamese people, particularly those from Ho Chi Minh City and the Southern region. Tourists have an opportunity to admire some precious paintings of famous Vietnamese artists, such as Trinh Cung, Nguyen Gia Tri, Diep Minh Chau, and the artworks of the ancient Champa kingdom and some earlier civilizations.
4.3. Take artistic photos in the museum
The museum is also well-known for its distinct beauty, particularly its entrance with beautiful red yin and yang tiles, stained glass windows with outstanding patterns, and swirling staircase with vibrant colors. You will have extremely cool backgrounds to take tons of attractive pictures at any corner in the museum.
5. Regulations for visitors of Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts
- Dress politely
- Park your vehicles in the lot
- Request the staff in case you need voice-over
- Do not bring weapons, explosives, flammable substances, or toxic pollutants into the museum
- Put your personal belongings in lockers
- Do not litter or step on the grass
- Do not sit on the railings or window frames
- Do not touch the objects
- Avoid making loud noises
- Do not bring food or drinks into the exhibition areas
Besides Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts, you should also visit other tourist attractions in Saigon, such as War Remnants Museum, Independence Palace, Jade Emperor Pagoda, Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral, etc.
In addition to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam has a lot of attractive destinations like Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, etc. For each destination that you intend to go to in Vietnam, plan where to stay in advance to have the best experience. Among a wide variety of available accommodations, it is highly recommended that you stay at the hotel and resort system of Vinpearl - the top-rated brand of accommodation with high-class services in Vietnam - located in most touristy spots.
- If you intend to enjoy your holiday on Phu Quoc pearl island, the luxurious and all-inclusive hotels and resorts of Vinpearl Phu Quoc are the perfect places to stay on your trip. At Vinpearl Phu Quoc, you have an opportunity to experience world-class accommodation and all sorts of amenities, such as outdoor swimming pools, children's playgrounds, babysitting services, restaurants, bars, gyms, and so on.
- In the beautiful coastal city of Nha Trang, it is suggested that you stay at the hotels and resorts of Vinpearl Nha Trang. They are ideal places for those who want to recharge their energy and escape from the bustling daily life. The properties of Vinpearl Nha Trang offer comfortable and thoughtfully designed rooms with expansive views of Nha Trang Bay.
- If you intend to enjoy your holiday in the ancient town of Hoi An, it is highly suggested that you choose Vinpearl Hoi An for your best accommodation experience. Vinpearl Hoi An provides visitors with luxurious hotel rooms and private villas, along with a plethora of high-end services which will satisfy even the most demanding customers.
- During your trip to Da Nang, you can choose Vinpearl Da Nang for your best accommodation experience. Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang has a prime location on Non Nuoc Beach. With the surrounding sea, mountains, and lakes, this place is like a peaceful oasis with 122 neoclassical-style villas embraced by colorful grounds of flowers.
Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Art is not only a beautiful piece of architecture but also an ideal destination for travel enthusiasts who want to admire a myriad of precious sculptures, paintings, and artifacts of Vietnam. If you are planning a trip to Ho Chi Minh City, make sure to include this location in your itinerary!