Hoi An attracts visitors with the tranquil beauty of mossy old houses and the gentle Hoai River sparkling with lanterns at night. Hoi An chicken rice, a representative of the local cuisine, has won the hearts of many locals and tourists. Below are 7 suggestions for the best places to try it in the town.
1. About com ga Hoi An (chicken rice) - a renowned dish of the ancient town
Hoi An Ancient Town has a special charm to visitors. The ancient town is alluring not only for its complex of old architectural works and friendly people but also Hoi An street food with many unforgettable dishes.
Hoi An chicken rice is said to be brought to Hoi An by Chinese traders in the feudal age. Since then, this dish has been popular in Central Vietnam, especially in Tam Ky, Quang Nam, where high-quality chicken are raised. In the past, the dish was served by street vendors, who travelled around the town. Gradually, the dish has been served in big restaurants also.
A standard dish of Hoi An chicken rice is made from good steamed rice and chicken. The rice is steamed with pineapple leaves to have a good aroma. Locals may add some turmeric powder on the rice to colour it.
The dish is always served with a bowl of broth made from boiling chicken and eggs, as well as a sweet and sour sauce. Hoi An chicken rice is often served with salad, which has shredded green papaya, carrot, and herbs grown in the nearby Tra Que vegetable village.
Hoi An chicken rice is a delicate dish that can be enjoyed for every meal of the day. It is said that “if you haven’t tried Hoi An chicken rice, you have not truly been to Hoi An”.
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Hoi An, Nam Hoi An to travel to Hoi An at preferrable prices and enjoy endless fun in the ancient town!
2. The 7 best com ga Hoi An shops that you should visit
There are many places where you can try Hoi An chicken rice. Below are 7 suggestions to consider:
2.1. Com ga Ba Thuan Hoi An
- Address: No. 17/4, Hai Ba Trung Street, Hoi An
- Opening hours: 7 am - 10 pm
- Price range: VND 25,000 - 100,000
Ba Thuan is not as crowded as other shops. A dish of Hoi An chicken rice here is simply prepared but still has a delicious flavor.
2.2. Com ga Ba Buoi Hoi An
- Address: No. 22, Phan Chau Trinh Street, Hoi An
- Opening hours: 11 am – 7 pm
- Price range: VND 35,000 – 50,000
The menu here is diverse. The rice is soft while the chicken is tender. Due to its popularity, the shop may be quite crowded at times.
You may also like:
- South Vietnam: Plan your itinerary with the TOP 13 unmissable destinations
- Vietnam national flower: A symbol of culture and traditional visual arts
- Female names in Vietnam: 100+ MOST popular names from A to X
2.3. Com ga Xi Hoi An
- Address: No. 47/2, Tran Hung Dao Street, Hoi An
- Opening hours: 9 am – 9 pm
- Price range: VND 20,000 – 50,000
A hot dish of Hoi An chicken rice here is accompanied with a tasty broth with some boiled eggs. There are also other dishes like chicken thigh salad and various kinds of drinks for diners to choose from.
2.4. Com ga Ty Hoi An
- Address: No. 27, Phan Chau Trinh Street, Hoi An
- Opening hours: 9 am – 9.30 pm
- Price range: VND 30,000 – 44,000
This shop is located opposite Com ga Ba Buoi. There are many com ga Hoi An dishes here, such as rice with shredded chicken, rice with chicken thigh, rice with salted chicken, etc.
2.5. Com ga Ba Huong
- Address: No. 56, Le Loi Street, Hoi An
- Opening hours: 9 am – 9:30 pm
- Price range: VND 25,000 – 50,000
This is a small shop located deep in a narrow lane. In addition to com Hoi An, a dish of chicken salad here will take you by surprise.
2.6. Com ga Ba Nga Hoi An
- Address: No. 8, Phan Chau Trinh Street, Hoi An
- Opening hours: 9 am – 9:30 pm
- Price range: VND 30,000 – 50,000
Here, Hoi An chicken rice has a special rich and salty flavour. The dish includes shredded chicken mixed with spices, shallot, coriander, and lime juice.
Articles for you:
- Hoi An weather: Best time to visit the world-famous ancient town in Vietnam
- Banh mi Hoi An: 10 best places to bring you a unique culinary experience
- Tailoring in Hoi An: Get your desired outfit made in the ancient town
2.7. Com ga Long
- Address: No. 53/16, Phan Chau Trinh Street, Hoi An
- Opening hours: 9 am – 9:30 pm
- Price range: VND 20,000 – 45,000
Here, com ga Hoi An tastes quite extraordinary, thanks to its unique sauce combined with yellow rice and tasty chicken.
Besides com ga Hoi An, visitors can try other delicacies like cao lau, grilled meat, wonton, etc. After enjoying a tasty dish of Hoi An chicken rice, you should resume your journey by visiting many attractions in the ancient town, such as Japanese Bridge Hoi An, Hoi An night market, Quan Cong Temple, Tan Ky Old House, Cantonese Assembly Hall, etc.
While you are in Hoi An, it is highly recommended to stay at Vinpearl Resort & Spa Hoi An and Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An during young food tour. Both these Hoi An hotels have 5-star facilities and services, making them exceptional accommodation choices for your first ever trip to Hoi An.
- Vinpearl Resort & Spa Hoi An: With its Mediterranean-inspired architecture, this resort has luxurious rooms and an outdoor infinity pool of 1,344 square metres - the largest in Hoi An - facing Cua Dai beach and the beautiful Cham Islands. A large outdoor space with a capacity of up to 400 people and the lush green landscape makes the resort an ideal choice for exciting team building events or romantic outdoor weddings.
- Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An: This resort has the shape of a giant sail facing the 1.3-kilometre-long pristine Binh Minh beach. It is a masterpiece that combines the contemporary architectural style and the beauty of nature. It is the perfect destination for family vacations and MICE tourism, thanks to its excellent service and a system of superior meeting rooms to cater for events of up to 600 people.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Hoi An to enjoy your vacation to your heart’s content!
Hoi An cuisine includes various delicious dishes, among which com ga Hoi An (Hoi An chicken rice) is a prominent highlight, which shows the locals’ hard work and creativity. Note down the above-mentioned 7 best places to enjoy the famous chicken rice that should be included in the bucket list of every traveller to the ancient town.
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Hoi An, Nam Hoi An to travel with ease at reasonable prices!