Phu Quoc pepper is famous for its peel, hard seeds, spicy and strong taste. The people of Phu Quoc have maintained pepper cultivation for many years. It is very important not only for economic purposes but also for cultural and tourism purposes. The pepper from Phu Quoc will absolutely be a special gift for both local and international tourists.
1. A glimpse of Phu Quoc pepper
Phu Quoc peppers have a fragrant and tangy taste, especially Phu Quoc red peppers, which are stronger than the peppers in other regions.
The people of Phu Quoc harvest the peppers in batches depending on the degree of maturity, and mostly hand-pick the ripe berries separately into three types: black pepper, red pepper, and skull pepper. Farmers only use little or no chemical fertilizers to fertilize pepper plants.
With an average planting cost of 300 - 400 million VND per hectare, farmers rarely have enough space to plant all of the pepper at once, so they need to grow in batches over the years. As such, pepper gardens often vary in age.
There are two main types of pepper tree Phu Quoc cultivated here: Ha Tien and Phu Quoc (large leaf pepper and small leaf pepper). These two cultivar species have approximately the same harvest time from November to the end of February.
Like fish sauce, Phu Quoc pepper has always been a popular spice. Phu Quoc pepper is famous for its seeds, thin skin, large size, and unmatched pungent aroma and taste.
Peppers brought in from Hainan by the Chinese have been grown here since the late 19th century. In fact, the pepper growing technique is kept exclusively by the Chinese. It was not until 1946 that Vietnamese learned how to plant peppers.
Today, pepper can be found everywhere in Bac Dao, Bung Goi, Ganh Gio, Ong Lang, Cua Can, Suoi Da, Khu Tuong. However, the most famous area is still Khu Tuong, which is well-known for the huge pepper fields stretching far and wide.
Pepper trees grow in fertile soil at the foot of a mountain or on the slopes of a stream. Sowing requires a lot of time and effort, and it takes three years to grow and harvest new peppers.
- Skull pepper: Most skull peppers have a spicy taste, but they are not as tasty as red peppers because the outer skin is peeled off. The reason many people prefer Phu Quoc high-quality skull peppers is that they are very hot and rich in flavor.
- Black pepper: It is called black pepper because it turns from green to yellow and black when being dried under the high temperature of the sun. This pepper is common in most households.
- Red pepper: Red pepper is a very tasty pepper with high economic value. Phu Quoc rep peppers have top quality because farmers only select and process ripe, large, and round peppers.
The people of Phu Quoc grow pepper not only for economic purposes but also for its substantial cultural and tourist value. Pepper farms should be on your list of Phu Quoc travel destinations.
2. How to buy Phu Quoc pepper?
2.1. Where to buy Phu Quoc pepper
There are several ways to buy pepper in Phu Quoc. You can buy it directly at the pepper farms, stores, or markets. Or else, you can choose Phu Quoc pepper buy online.
2.2. Phu Quoc pepper price
The Phu Quoc pepper price is slightly more expensive than the mainland pepper due to its excellent taste.
The price of pepper for reference is as follows:
- Phu Quoc red pepper price: 260,000 VND - 360,000 VND per kilogram
- Phu Quoc white pepper price: 290,000 VND - 360,000 VND per kilogram
- Phu Quoc black pepper price: 200,000 VND - 290,000 VND per kilogram
The price of pepper purchased from the garden is between 150,000 and 300,000 VND per kilogram.
2.3. Some specialties made from Phu Quoc pepper you should buy
When the pepper is ripe, the islanders harvest the pepper and process it into many popular pepper dishes. Compared to peppers from other places, the pepper of Phu Quoc has an attractive taste and aroma.
- Sugar Pepper - A tasty sticky sauce made from Phu Quoc peppercorn
- Pink pepper salt (also known as nourishing pepper salt) - This seasoning is made from very simple ingredients like pepper, garlic, pink salt, and spices. The Phu Quoc pepper salt grains are dark brown, large, crispy, and not too salty
On the first try, Phu Quoc pink pepper salt may taste like Tay Ninh Shrimp Salt. However, unlike shrimp salt, pink pepper salt has a pungent taste, which fades very quickly. You will feel the spice spread along on your taste buds which makes the flavor lasts longer.
3. Explore some beautiful Phu Quoc pepper Farms
When you come to the pepper farm Phu Quoc island during harvest season, you will be amazed at the red peppers ripening on the tree. You can enjoy the spicy flavor, and learn from the farmers who have been working in the field for a long time.
Stepping into the pepper plantation Phu Quoc, you will feel like you are in a maze. If you come here, you will be able to see people growing peppers and caring for pepper trees.
Peppers are harvested in batches by hand. Visitors can observe different types of peppers, take pictures, and experience pepper picking.
Ticket price: Free
You can visit the popular pepper plantations Phu Quoc below:
- Duc Ninh pepper farm: Address: Suoi Da, Duong To Village, Phu Quoc commune, Kien Giang province
- Suoi Da pepper farm: Address: Suoi Da, Duong To Village, Phu Quoc commune, Kien Giang province
- Khu Tuong pepper farm: Address: Cua Duong commune, Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc commune, Kien Giang province
In addition to the pepper farms, visitors can spend time at other fascinating destinations, such as traditional fish sauce factories, VinWonders Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Golf Phu Quoc...
Beside visiting the picturesque nature and tourist attractions, staying at Phu Quoc luxury hotels and resorts will make your traveling experience complete.
Phu Quoc is famous for its quiet beaches and beautiful sunsets. Located in the Bai Dai area in the north of Phu Quoc Island, Vinpearl Phu Quoc is the perfect place to enjoy the sea views and escape the crowds.
Nearby tourist destinations:
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc is a 20-minute drive away from the International Seaport.
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc is a 30-minute drive away from Phu Quoc International Airport.
- 10-40 minute drive away from Vinpearl Phu Quoc to other famous tourist destinations (Bai Truong, Da Ban Stream, Tien Stream, Ho Quoc Pagoda, Phu Quoc Prison, etc).
- Outdoor hotel pools and private pool system
- Akoya Spa with first-class treatments
- Premium shopping center, outdoor sports area
- International standard "Vinpearl Golf Phu Quoc"
- Vietnam's largest semi-wild zoo "Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc"
>>> Book rooms at Vinpearl Phu Quoc Hotel now and visit this beautiful island
Phu Quoc pepper is famous for its peels, hard seeds, spicy and strong taste. The people of Phu Quoc have maintained pepper cultivation for many years. It is important not only for economic purposes but also for cultural and tourism purposes.
In these dry, windy, and sunny lands, peppercorn Phu Quoc brings income to the locals. Pepper farms Phu Quoc contribute to the eco-tourism attractions in the artisan village, attracting many tourists to Phu Quoc and Kien Giang. Pepper in Phu Quoc is definitely a local seasoning that would make unique gifts for tourists.
>>> If you intend to visit Phu Quoc, don’t miss out on combos, and offers from Vinpearl. Book Vinpearl combos and visit this beautiful pearl Island right away!