While traveling in Vietnam, you might run into a travel option that could bring you to your destination overnight: a sleeper bus. The sleeper bus in Vietnam is a common Vietnam’s mode of transport that is known for being convenient and cost-saving. Let’s explore how to make the most of your overnight journey on a sleeper bus with our safety tips!
1. What are sleeper buses in Vietnam?
So, what is a sleeper bus? A sleeper bus in Vietnam is a uniquely designed mode of transportation that caters to travelers seeking both comfort and convenience during their journeys. A sleeper bus in Vietnam is specially crafted to allow passengers to rest comfortably, making it an ideal choice for long-distance travel within the country without wasting precious morning hours.
Unlike seated buses with just two rows of seats, a sleeper bus in Vietnam typically has three rows of beds, each featuring both upper and lower beds. This layout maximizes interior space, creating a more spacious and relaxing environment for travelers. In terms of sleeper bus capacity, sleeper buses are available in different options, including 32- and 34-seat buses, 44-seat buses, 22-seat sleeper rooms, double-bed buses, etc.
2. Are sleeper buses safe in Vietnam?
Safety is a true concern for many travelers when considering sleeper buses in Vietnam as a means of transportation. The road conditions can be challenging with bumpy, single-lane roads and potholes. Still, some drivers may drive at high speeds to meet schedules, so don’t be surprised if your trip feels a little bit like a roller coaster.
The safeness of sleeper buses in Vietnam can be inconsistent. Some buses may lack essential safety equipment or clear safety guidelines for passengers.
Nonetheless, overnight sleeper buses in Vietnam vary in quality, and it's essential to research and choose reputable operators for a safer journey. These companies prioritize passenger safety with well-maintained buses, safety equipment, and experienced drivers.
Here, we suggest some tips and travel essentials to enhance your safety while traveling on a sleeper bus in Vietnam:
- Bring motion sickness tablets: Consider taking motion sickness tablets such as Antivert, Meclizine, or Dramamine to help prevent discomfort during the journey, especially if you are prone to motion sickness.
- Prepare sleeper bus essentials: Pack items to make your journey more comfortable. This includes earplugs or headphones to drown out noise, eye covers for restful sleep, and snacks to keep your energy up.
- Don’t forget your personal hygiene items: Hand sanitizer, a water bottle, wet wipes, and toilet paper can be invaluable on long journeys, ensuring you can maintain hygiene and stay refreshed.
- Carry your valuables: Keep your passport, phone, wallet, and laptop in a personal portable bag that you can keep close to you during the trip. Remember that your main luggage will be stored underneath the bus, so having your essentials within reach is crucial.
- Put on comfortable clothing and footwear: Dress in comfortable clothing for the journey. You wouldn’t want to struggle to fall asleep in a small bed on a sleeper bus in Vietnam with your tight jeans! Additionally, since you will need to remove your shoes when boarding a bus, you may choose to wear sandals or flexible footwear for convenience.
>>> Discover how to travel in Vietnam with different options for your journey!
3. What are the best sleeper bus companies in Vietnam?
Vietnam offers a variety of reliable sleeper bus companies that serve different routes across the country. Here are some of the top sleeper bus companies and the routes they offer:
3.1. In Ha Noi
|Ha Son Hai Van
|Inter Bus Lines
|Xe Dong Huong Song Lam
|Xe Hung Long
|Good Morning Sapa
3.2. In Ho Chi Minh City
Mai Linh Express
Tra Lan Vien
>>> Make your journey more convenient with Vietnam night buses!
4. Frequently asked questions about sleeper buses in Vietnam
4.1. How to book sleeper bus tickets in Vietnam?
If you are planning to explore Vietnam by sleeper bus, booking your tickets is a straightforward process with several options to choose from. Here are some options to help you secure your sleeper bus tickets:
- Book directly from the bus station: Vietnam boasts four common bus stations in both Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City where you can book sleeper bus tickets. In Hanoi, you will find sleeper bus tickets at My Dinh Station and Giap Bat Station. In Ho Chi Minh City, options include Mien Dong Station and Mien Tay Station.
- Online booking with sleeper bus companies: Before booking online, take some time to do your research and identify reputable companies offering a sleeper bus in Vietnam. Those companies often offer comfortable buses equipped with amenities at reasonable prices.
- Book through a travel agency: Another option is to book through a local travel agency, where prices may vary based on the services provided. Don't hesitate to negotiate or compare prices to secure the best deal possible. Remember to make your reservation a few days in advance to ensure availability and request a legitimate purchase invoice for your records.
- Book from the hotel: Many hotels in Vietnam offer the convenience of booking sleeper bus tickets. You can often secure your tickets for immediate or next-day travel, making it a convenient choice for last-minute planning. While the price may be slightly higher than booking through a travel agency, the added convenience can be well worth it.
4.2. What is the cost of sleeper bus tickets in Vietnam?
The cost of a Vietnam sleeper bus will vary among different sleeper bus companies. For an overnight bus in Vietnam, you can find 8-hour-long journeys for as little as $12. Some companies offer around $17, depending on the quality and services of the different types of sleeper buses.
4.3. How to choose bunks in a sleeper bus?
Selecting the right sleeper bus seat can make a significant difference during the journey. Here are some valuable tips to help you choose the most appropriate bunk for your needs:
- Opt for the middle rows: Experienced sleeper bus travelers often recommend choosing the middle rows as they are considered the safest. These bunks are located away from the front and rear of the bus, providing a more stable and safe ride.
- Be mindful of air conditioning: Keep in mind that the second to fifth rows tend to have the strongest air conditioning. So it may not be ideal if you are sensitive to cold temperatures.
- Lower bunks for convenience: If you get motion sickness easily or if you have difficulty climbing to the upper bunk, selecting bunks on the first level can be more convenient for mobility and reduce the impact of strong bumps and jolts when the bus is in motion.
- Consider upper bunks for space: Upper bunks generally offer more room than lower bunks. If you prefer a less cramped feeling, the second level could be a better choice.
4.4. Are sleeper buses in Vietnam comfortable?
Sleeper buses in Vietnam offer a comfortable and convenient travel experience. The seats on these sleeper buses are equipped with premium leather, ensuring a comfortable ride. Passengers may also enjoy various amenities such as reading lights, televisions, blankets, and complimentary beverages. Most sleeper buses have USB ports for charging devices, and free Wi-Fi is often available.
4.5. Do sleeper buses have restrooms on board?
Some sleeper bus companies are equipped with a toilet at the end of the bus. However, a large number of them do not have a toilet, especially a budget-friendly sleeper bus. In this case, there will be regular stops throughout the journey where passengers can take breaks and use public restrooms. Generally, you can expect 2 or 3 stops approximately every 2.5 to 3 hours. The length of each stop ranges from a short 10-minute break to 30 minutes.
While traveling, you can explore a wide range of transportation options to Vietnam’s most important cities and famous tourist destinations like Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Ha Long.
If you are planning to visit a tourist attraction for a while, make sure to arrange where you will stay ahead of time. It is recommended that you book a room at the hotel and resort system at Vinpearl. Scattered across Vietnam in the most touristy spots, Vinpearl provides visitors with luxurious rooms, all-inclusive services, and a range of attractive amenities such as restaurants, bars, swimming pools, entertainment areas, etc.
You can also discover the ultimate fun and thrills at VinWonders - a chain of entertainment complexes that promises endless fun and excitement for visitors of all ages. VinWonders will surely bring you an unforgettable experience that will leave you and your loved ones enchanted!
A sleeper bus in Vietnam provides a practical and comfortable mode of transportation for travelers. While many concerns regarding safety and quality exist, choosing reputable bus companies can ensure a safe and enjoyable journey. Whether you are traveling solo or with family, sleeper buses offer an affordable and accessible option to experience the beauty of Vietnam, making your adventures more memorable and convenient. Remember to do thorough research before booking as well as prepare your travel essentials so that you can make the most of your trip using sleeper buses!
Grab the hottest deals at Vinpearl