There is not a better place than the Vietnam National Museum of History to discover Vietnam's cultural quintessence and longstanding history. The old building with ancient Indochinese architecture and valuable historical artifacts is a must-visit for a complete Hanoi travel. For a detailed tourist’s guide to visiting this museum, please read this article carefully!
1. Where is Vietnam National Museum of History? How to get there?
Vietnam National Museum of History has two locations in Hanoi, both situated near Hoan Kiem lake:
- No. 1 Trang Tien street
- No. 216 Tran Quang Khai street
Thanks to its central location, the Vietnam National Museum of History is easily accessible via different means of transport and convenient routes. If you take a bus, you can refer to bus numbers 02, 34, 44, 49, and 51 or electric bus E07 and get off at the Hanoi Opera House. If you drive or ride a môtrrcycle, you can take the route from Le Thai To - Hang Trong - Hang Khay - Trang Tien and park your vehicle at the Pham Ngu Lao entrance.
Additionally, visitors can also opt for a Hanoi City tour bus to fully immerse in the authentic Hanoi experience, but don't forget to get off at the Hanoi Opera House.
2. The formation and development of Vietnam National Museum of History
Vietnam National Museum of History was founded in 2011. It contains two separate exhibition spaces: one on Tran Quang Khai and one on Trang Tien street. Built in 1917 and 1926, respectively, these are two of the oldest architectures in Hanoi and the oldest museum of Hanoi.
Currently, the Vietnam National Museum of History is storing a heritage of over 20,000 documents and artifacts representing the entire historical flow of Vietnam, from the primary times to now. In particular, the museum has many national treasures, rare and precious antiquities compared to other similarly-themed museums in Hanoi. That number explains why the National Museum of Vietnamese History is considered the best museum in Hanoi.
3. What to explore in Vietnam National Museum of History Hanoi?
3.1. The excellent architectural beauty
Architectural beauty is one of the main reasons why the Vietnam National Museum of History is always on top of the places to visit in Hanoi. The spacious space and magnificent Indochinese architecture are the most impressive highlights of this place.
A massive building with yellow paint, distinctive green windows, and red roofs, ancient yet brilliant, has made the museum stand out in the heart of the colorful Hanoi capital. After many years of establishment and development, the museum retains the typical old architecture of hundred-year-old works.
Besides its impressive outside appearance, the interior space of the national museum of Vietnamese history Hanoi is also unique. The main lobby has a prominent octagonal shape. Passing the hall is the main exhibition space, which has an elongated rectangle shape. All the rooms are interconnected, which is a clever structure.
Overall, this architecture is both typical and familiar but also very unique. You won't find another museum in Hanoi like it.
3.2. The displays about Vietnamese history
Vietnam National Museum of History has two separate exhibition areas: No 1 Trang Tien street for Vietnam from prehistory to the end of the Nguyen Dynasty (1945) and 216 Tran Quang Khai street for Vietnam from the mid-19th century to the present.
- Vietnam from prehistory to the end of the Nguyen Dynasty (1945) – No 1 Trang Tien
This place displays a long history, from the appearance of humans in Vietnam to the initial building of the nation to the long struggle for independence and the gradual building up of a massive cultural heritage through feudal dynasties.
In addition, the museum also displays the complete collection of Oc Eo – Phu Nam cultural relics, Champa sculptures, and the creations of Indochina Fine Arts students during the French colonial period.
Moreover, the impressive outdoor display area makes the museum even more attractive. You can learn more about Champa culture through a collection of civilized artifacts and sculptures. And you can also find large inscriptions, statues, and worship towers…in Ly and Nguyen dynasties.
- Vietnam from the mid-19th century to the present – No 216 Tran Quang Khai
You will have access to a struggling yet heroic history of Vietnam from 1858 when the French started invading Vietnam, until the US intervened and ended the Vietnam war in 1975. This permanent exhibition will show the life of fighting, working, building facilities in war times, and preparing for the country’s development after the war.
You can also find more than 100 original artifacts, which were gifts to President Ho Chi Minh and the Vietnamese Communist Party from local and global citizens .
In addition, the front and back yard area of the National Museum of History display several large-sized objects with typical historical values. The most prominent is the car given to the Communist Party of Vietnam by the Communist Party of the Soviet Union in 1954.
4. Information for visitors to National Museum of Vietnamese History Hanoi
Below are some important information that you should take notes for the best tour to Vietnam National Museum of History Hanoi:
4.1. Opening hours and ticket fee
National History Museum opening days:
- Morning: 8:00 – 12:00
- Afternoon: 13:30 to 17:00
Please note that the museum opens daily except the first Monday of every month. For important holidays, the museum will have an announcement.
- Adults: VND 40,0000/ person
- Students (college and university): VND 20,000/ person
- Students (primary to high school): VND 10,0000/ person
- Free for children under six and disabled people
Discount tickets: 50% discount for beneficiaries of preferential policies, the elderly, and people with severe disabilities, according to current Vietnamese regulations.
In addition, the museum also has a fee when taking photos:
Take pictures: 15,000 VND / camera
Filming: 30,000 VND / camera
4.2. Regulations of the museum
To avoid trouble during the museum visit, you should note the following rules:
- The Vietnam National Museum of History has guided Vietnamese, English, and French tours. You can contact the information room next to the entrance to request tour guides.
- Remember to present your ticket at Counter One next to the gallery entrance.
- Do not bring any weapons, flammables, explosives, poisons in the museum.
- Leave your luggage at the museum's locker, except for money and jewelry.
- No smoking or eating is allowed inside the museum.
- Do not touch the exhibits and equipment.
- Do not make noise in the museum space.
Besides Vietnam National Museum of History, Hanoi - the thousand-year-old capital also has a list of many unique museums in many fields. You can immediately refer to the famous museum in Hanoi Vietnam: Vietnam Military History Museum, Ho Chi Minh Museum, Hanoi Museum, Fine Arts Museum, etc.
Museums with signature architecture and precious artifacts are just small parts of Hanoi. There are also tons of attractions and destinations for visiting in the capital of Vietnam, especially Vinpearl Aquarium and VinKE
- Vinpearl Aquarium is an exciting destination for families in Hanoi. With more than 30,000 sea creatures, you can witness a miniature ocean world in the heart of the capital.In addition, by visiting Vinpearl Aquarium, you will also enjoy exciting shows & activities such as the mermaid show, feeding penguins…
- Besides Vinpearl Aquarium, VinKE is ideal for families, especially families with young children. VinKE is one of the best quality educational playgrounds in Hanoi, with many interesting and exciting activities, both bringing joy and helping children nurture their dreams.
Vietnam is beautiful with friendly people, unique culture, majestic nature, and countless attractive destinations. Among Them, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang are always highly appreciated by tourists. From now on, you can find out about good staycations in these fantastic locations for better journeys somedays.
Vinpearl is a top-rated brand of lodging with first-rate services and amenities, including restaurants, bars, swimming pools, and entertainment areas. It is present in most tourist destinations in Vietnam. Certainly, your vacation in Vietnam will be comfortable and memorable thanks to Vinpearl.
Not only meaningful in history, but Vietnam National Museum of History is also very beautiful in architecture. This place is definitely a worthy stopover to learn more about Vietnam's culture and history and save your amazing moments. Don't forget Vietnam and Hanoi have many attractive destinations to be noticed. Take your chance to explore!