The journey to a country is not always a direct flight; sometimes you must take a connecting flight, transiting through different countries. So, if you have a transit flight in Vietnam, what do you need to do? Do you require a Vietnam transit visa, and how can you apply for one? Find out the answers in this article.
1. Who needs to apply for a Vietnam transit visa?
What is a Vietnam transit visa? It is a visa issued to foreigners not eligible for visa exemption in Vietnam, with connecting flights and a layover in Vietnam.
However, not all transit travelers to Vietnam need to apply for a transit visa in Vietnam. So, who is exempt from the Vietnam transit visa? Let's find out!
- Travelers eligible for Vietnam's visa exemption
- Travelers with connecting flights within 24 hours
- Travelers staying within the designated transit areas as determined by the competent authorities at international border gates
- Travelers have proof of their trip to the final destination, such as a visa or passport
In these cases, foreigners must comply with certain conditions for transiting through Vietnam without a transit visa, as follows:
- Possess a valid passport (valid for at least 6 months) or valid international travel documents
- Having a ticket showing the journey to the third country
- A valid visa to the third country, except for visa exemption cases
>>> Learn more about Vietnam visa: An up-to-date guide for your entry in 2023
2. Vietnam transit visa requirements
If you are not eligible for the Vietnam transit visa exemption, you need to prepare the following procedures to apply for a transit visa:
- Complete the prescribed visa application form with a confirmed signature
- Original passport with at least 6 months of validity
- 4.5cm x 4.5cm photo, taken within the last 6 months
- Have a ticket suitable for the journey to the third country
- Have a visa of the third country, except for those who are exempt from visa
In some cases, you may need to add some documents, such as proof of income, and other supporting papers may be required.
3. How to apply for a Vietnam transit visa?
Like other types of visas in Vietnam, there are several ways to obtain a Vietnam transit visa. However, the three most common methods are as follows:
- At the embassy: This is the most popular way to apply for a transit visa in Vietnam. You need to submit the required documents and necessary procedures to the Vietnamese Embassy/Consulate in your residing country before your trip. The processing time may vary depending on the number of applications, additional documents needed, and the embassy's policies in each country. The Vietnam transit visa cost is approximately 5 USD.
- E-visa for Vietnam: Applying for a Vietnam transit visa online is more convenient and time-saving, as you can submit the necessary documents online without having to visit any location. The processing time takes around 3 working days but is only applicable to citizens of the 81 countries accepted for e-visa issuing. The fee for this online visa is 25 USD per application.
- Transit visa on arrival: This is the easiest way to obtain a visa with the assistance of a third party (a visa agency), but it only applies to air travelers. You can fill out the approval letter application online in advance and prepare some other documents (visa application form, photos, passport) to get the visa stamp upon arrival at Vietnam's airports. The approval letter fee may vary depending on the agency's policies. The Vietnam transit visa on arrival stamping fee is 25 USD, and it must be paid in cash.
>>> Let’s break down the cost of visa for Vietnam through this detailed guide
If you have a transit in Vietnam, you might consider a Vietnam travel. Because Vietnam is an incredibly beautiful country with plenty of fascination to explore at attractive destinations like Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Ha Long.
During your travels to these places, you can enhance your trip by treating yourself to a luxurious stay at Vinpearl's upscale hotels and resorts, which offer world-class amenities and exceptional services.
Furthermore, don't miss the chance to visit VinWonders, an alluring amusement paradise offering thrilling rides, water parks, cultural experiences, and more, ensuring unforgettable memories during your time in Vietnam.
Above is detailed information about Vietnam's transit visa and the process of applying for it. Obtaining a Vietnam transit visa is a straightforward process, as long as you meet the requirements and follow the correct application procedures. Once you have your visa, you can enjoy all that Vietnam has to offer, from its beautiful beaches to its vibrant cities.