Vietnamese chicken salad is a satisfying Vietnamese food dish that combines tender chicken with an array of fresh herbs, vegetables, and a zesty dressing. It offers a perfect balance of flavors and textures, making it an ideal addition to any menu. Whether you are looking for a quick lunch or a light dinner, Vietnamese chicken salad is a great option that is easy to make and delicious to eat.
1. How to make Vietnamese chicken salad?
Here are the essential ingredients and a detailed instruction on how to make the authentic Vietnamese chicken salad:
1.1. Essential ingredients for Vietnamese chicken salad
You can make a flavorful Vietnamese chicken salad by gathering the following essential ingredients:
- Chicken: Choose boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- Vegetables: Slice or julienne cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, red onion, and bean sprouts for a crunchy and colorful addition.
- Fresh herbs: Cilantro, mint, and basil are commonly used herbs in Vietnamese cuisine. They add a refreshing and aromatic touch to the salad.
- Roasted peanuts: Crushed or chopped roasted peanuts provide a satisfying crunch and nutty flavor.
- Dressing ingredients: The dressing typically includes rice vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, chili, and water.
1.2. A detail instruction on how to make the authentic Vietnamese chicken salad
Here is a detailed Vietnamese chicken salad recipe on how to prepare the authentic dish:
- Step 1: Start by cooking the chicken. Season it with salt, pepper, and any additional spices or marinades of your choice. Grill, poach, or roast the chicken until fully cooked and tender. Allow it to cool, then shred or slice it into thin strips.
- Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced vegetables, fresh herbs, and shredded chicken.
- Step 3: Prepare the Vietnamese chicken salad dressing by whisking together rice vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, sugar, minced garlic, chopped chili, and water. Adjust the ingredients to achieve a well-balanced and flavorful dressing.
- Step 4: Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to coat evenly.
- Step 5: Transfer the salad to a serving plate and sprinkle with chopped peanuts. You can also garnish with additional herbs or lime wedges for extra freshness.
>>> Discover the top delicious and refreshing Vietnamese salad dishes to try during your culinary exploration!
2. Notable variations of Vietnamese chicken salad
Vietnamese cuisine boasts a variety of variations on chicken salad, each offering exciting twists and unique flavors to this beloved dish. Some notable versions include:
2.1. Vietnamese chicken noodle salad
Vietnamese chicken noodle salad combines the freshness of a traditional salad with the satisfying elements of rice noodles. This variation incorporates thin rice noodles, also known as vermicelli, to create a hearty and flavorful dish.
To make Vietnamese chicken noodle salad, follow these steps:
- Step 1 - Prepare the chicken: Cook the chicken breasts or thighs as desired, ensuring they are fully cooked. Allow them to cool, then shred or slice the chicken into thin strips.
- Step 2 - Cook the rice noodles: Boil water and add the rice noodles. Cook them according to the package instructions. Drain, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process, and set aside.
- Step 3 - Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, rice noodles, fresh herbs (such as mint, basil, and cilantro), and thinly sliced vegetables like cucumber, carrot, and red onion.
- Step 4 - Dress the salad: Drizzle the salad with a dressing made from fish sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, sugar, minced garlic, chili, and water. Toss the salad gently to ensure even distribution of the dressing.
- Step 5 - Garnish and serve: Sprinkle crushed roasted peanuts on top for added texture and flavor. Serve the Vietnamese chicken salad with rice noodles immediately, and consider garnishing with additional herbs, lime wedges, or chili slices.
2.2. Vietnamese chicken salad with banana flower
Another variation of Vietnamese chicken salad is the one with banana flower as a key ingredient. This version showcases the use of banana flower, also referred to as banana blossom, which is the large, red-purple, cone-shaped flower found at the end of a banana cluster.
Here is how to make this type of salad:
- Step 1 - Prepare the chicken: Cook the chicken breasts or thighs until they are fully cooked and tender. Allow them to cool, then shred or slice the chicken into thin strips.
- Step 2 - Prepare the banana flower: Peel away the tough outer layers of the banana flower until you reach the tender inner layers. Slice the banana flower into thin strips and soak them in water mixed with vinegar or lime juice to prevent discoloration.
- Step 3 - Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, banana flower, fresh herbs (mint, basil, and cilantro), and sliced vegetables like cucumber, carrot, and red onion.
- Step 4 - Dress the salad: Create a dressing using a combination of fish sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, sugar, minced garlic, chili, and water. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat all the ingredients.
- Step 5 - Garnish and serve: Enhance the flavors and texture by generously sprinkling crushed roasted peanuts over the salad. Serve the Vietnamese chicken salad with banana flower promptly, and for an extra burst of freshness, consider garnishing with additional herbs, lime wedges, or slices of chili.
2.3. Vietnamese chicken salad with mangosteen
The next notable variation of Vietnamese chicken salad features the exotic fruit mangosteen. This addition brings a burst of sweetness and tanginess to the salad, elevating its flavors to a whole new level.
Here is how to make it:
- Step 1 - Prepare the chicken: Cook the chicken breasts or thighs until they are fully cooked and tender. Once cooked, allow them to cool, then shred or slice the chicken into thin strips.
- Step 2 - Prepare the mangosteen: Choose young and green mangosteens with a crisp and slightly tangy taste. Ripe mangosteens tend to become mushy when mixed in the salad, compromising the desired crunchiness.
To prepare the green mangosteens, begin by peeling them under running water to prevent sticking. Slice them into thin, bite-sized pieces and soak them in ice water. To preserve their crispness and prevent discoloration, lightly squeeze them with lime juice.
- Step 3 - Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, mixed salad greens, sliced cucumbers, shredded carrots, and fresh herbs like mint, basil, and cilantro. Add the mangosteens to the bowl.
- Step 4 - Dress the salad: Prepare a dressing using a mixture of fish sauce, sugar, minced garlic, chili, and water. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and gently toss all the ingredients together, ensuring they are well coated.
- Step 5 - Garnish and serve: Sprinkle crushed peanuts over the salad to give it an extra crunch and burst of flavor. If you like a bit of heat, consider adding a few slices of chili. Serve the Vietnamese chicken salad with mangosteen right away to enjoy its delicious blend of tastes.
To fully indulge in the rich cuisine of Vietnam, in addition to savoring the delightful Vietnamese chicken salad, you should explore a variety of other Vietnamese dishes, such as bun dau mam tom, Vietnamese broken rice, Vietnamese bread, Vietnamese fish cake, Vietnamese sticky rice, Vietnamese summer rolls, Vietnamese fried rice, etc. These treats will take your taste buds on an unforgettable journey through the diverse and vibrant culinary traditions of Vietnam.
During your Vietnam travel journey, it is also essential to discover the breathtaking natural landscapes that the country has to offer. From the captivating beauty of Phu Quoc and Nha Trang to the enchanting allure of Hoi An, Da Nang, and Ha Long Bay, these destinations offer a wealth of natural wonders, historical sites, cultural heritage, and culinary treasures.
To ensure the best possible experience during your trip, it is important to conduct thorough research and carefully select suitable accommodations for each destination. For an exceptional and luxurious experience, Vinpearl, a renowned hospitality brand in Vietnam, should be at the top of your list.
Vinpearl offers lavish rooms and an array of amenities such as swimming pools, kids' playgrounds, babysitting services, dining options, bars, gyms, and more, catering to your every need. Additionally, Vinpearl properties are thoughtfully designed to blend seamlessly with the natural surroundings, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in Vietnam's breathtaking beauty while enjoying unparalleled world-class services.
Whether you choose to stick with the traditional recipe or experiment with different variations, Vietnamese chicken salad is a versatile and delicious dish that is sure to impress. With its vibrant colors, fragrant herbs, and bold flavors, it brings a taste of Vietnam to your table. So, add this quick and healthy salad to your menu and treat yourself to an enchanting culinary experience today!