Ho Chi Minh City, also known as Saigon, is a city with a rich history, vibrant culture, and delicious cuisine. For those interested in the city's past, a visit to the History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City is a must-do. This museum is not just any ordinary museum – it’s an incredible space that showcases the city's rich history and heritage.
1. Where is History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City?
- Location: 2 Nguyen Binh Khiem, Ben Nghe ward, District 1
History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City, one of the best Ho Chi Minh City Museums, is located right in the heart of the city, it takes you just a short walk from the famous Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral and the Independence Palace. You can easily get there by personal vehicle, taxi or public transportation like buses.
Quick guide for visitors on how to get to the History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City:
- For visitors using buses: You can get there by bus 05, 06, 14, 56
- For visitors using a personal vehicle: There’s a parking lot in the museum.
2. The history of History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City
The History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City was first established in 1929, during the colonial era of French Indochina, and was originally known as the "Musée Blanchard de La Brosse." It was named after the French historian and archaeologist Etienne Blanchard de La Brosse, who was one of the museum's earliest curators.
The History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City is actually the very first museum in the south of Vietnam. Over the years, it has undergone several renovations and expansions yet still preserved its essence.
Today, this museum in Ho Chi Minh City showcases a diverse range of artifacts and exhibits that illustrate the history of Ho Chi Minh City and the surrounding region, including the time of the Nguyen dynasty, the French colonial period, and the war years, which is also the theme of the Saigon War Remnants Museum - Explore the heroic past of Vietnam.
In addition to the exhibitions, the History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City also hosts cultural events, workshops, and lectures, making it an important cultural hub for the city.
3. Things to do in a tour around History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City
A tour of the History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City is a truly immersive experience. Here are a few things to look out for in this Ho Chi Minh City Museum:
3.1. Explore the space and architecture outside the museum
The building of Ho Chi Minh City History Museum has beautiful French colonial architecture, with intricate carvings and elegant designs.
Its exterior is an elegant and striking mix of colonial and classical styles, with tall columns and elegant arches that give it a grand and imposing appearance. The façade is made of red brick, providing a warm and welcoming contrast to the greenery of the surrounding park. The entrance to the museum is framed by two large columns and a grand staircase, which leads up to the main entrance and gives visitors a glimpse of the beauty that awaits inside.
One of the most notable features of the museum's exterior is the large and well-manicured garden that surrounds it. This garden gives a peaceful and serene environment for visitors to enjoy, with a variety of tropical plants and trees that create a lush and verdant landscape.
The building's elegant design and intricate details offer a glimpse into the colonial past of the city and provide visitors with a unique and unforgettable experience.
3.2. Learn about Vietnamese history in the exhibition area inside
Once inside this museum in Ho Chi Minh City, visitors can learn about the history of Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh City through a series of interesting exhibitions. The museum's exhibitions cover various topics, including the city's history, culture, and heritage. Visitors can also see artifacts and items that are unique to the city and its people, such as traditional clothing, pottery, and textiles.
4. Essential information for visitors to History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City
Here are some important details that visitors should keep in mind when planning a trip to the History Museum:
4.1. Opening hours
You can visit this museum from Tuesday to Sunday, and here is the opening time:
- Morning: 8:00 - 11:30
- Afternoon: 13:00 - 17:00
It is closed on Mondays.
4.2. Entrance fee
The entrance fee for the museum is 30,000 VND and is free for children under 6 years old.
Visitors are not allowed to touch the exhibits, take photos with flash, or bring large bags into the museum.
As you're planning a trip to Ho Chi Minh City, here are four must-visit destinations that will enrich your experience and give you a deeper understanding of its rich history and culture:
- Independence Palace: This palace was once the home and workplace of the President of South Vietnam. Today, it serves as a museum that offers visitors a glimpse into the history of the Vietnam War and the country's struggle for independence.
- Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral: This beautiful cathedral is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Ho Chi Minh City, and serves as a place of worship for the city's Catholic community.
- Landmark 81 Vietnam: This towering skyscraper is the tallest building in Vietnam and offers breathtaking views of Ho Chi Minh City from its observation deck.
- Jade Emperor Pagoda: This beautiful pagoda is one of the most important religious sites in Ho Chi Minh City and is dedicated to the Jade Emperor, the supreme god in Taoism.
These destinations are just a few of the many interesting and culturally significant places to visit in Ho Chi Minh City.
Other than Ho Chi Minh City, we recommend visiting some of the most attractive destinations in Vietnam, including Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Da Nang. When you see these places, to enrich your experience on this Vietnam trip, you can stay at Vinpearl hotels – the top-rated brand of accommodation with high-class services in Vietnam, located in the heart of these tourist attractions.
- Phu Quoc is a popular destination for beach lovers. The island is known for its pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and lush tropical forests. To experience the best of Phu Quoc, stay at Vinpearl Phu Quoc, with luxurious accommodations, top-notch dining options, and a wide range of activities and entertainment.
- Nha Trang is another popular beach destination in Vietnam, located on the south-central coast. This city is known for its stunning beaches, vibrant nightlife, and diverse dining options. To fully enjoy your time in Nha Trang, stay at Vinpearl Nha Trang, offering luxurious accommodations, a range of water sports, and an on-site spa.
- Hoi An is an ancient town located in central Vietnam and is famous for its well-preserved historical buildings, charming streets, and traditional crafts. To experience the best of Hoi An, stay at Vinpearl Hoi An, which offers luxurious accommodations, a wide range of dining options, and a beautiful infinity pool.
- Da Nang is a coastal city located in central Vietnam and is known for its stunning beaches, vibrant nightlife, and rich cultural heritage. To make the most of your time in Da Nang, stay at the luxurious Vinpearl Da Nang, which is located on a private beach and offers high-quality dining options, and many activities and entertainment.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Da Nang
The History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in the rich history of Ho Chi Minh City and Vietnam. This blog post has given you a glimpse into the city's cultural heritage that has shaped its history. Don't miss this opportunity to experience Ho Chi Minh City and the surrounding places of interest in a unique and engaging way by booking rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, and Vinpearl Da Nang.
>>> Find the best deals by booking voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang in advance!