With a rich history dating back centuries and a dynamic contemporary scene, Ho Chi Minh City is an exciting destination that offers a wealth of experiences for visitors. In this article, we'll introduce you to the most popular places to visit in Ho Chi Minh City, from historic landmarks to modern-day marvels. So pack your bags, grab your camera, and get ready for an adventure you'll never forget!
1. Ben Thanh Market – One of the most famous tourist attractions in Ho Chi Minh City
- Location: Ben Thanh ward, District 1
- Opening hours: 7 am - 7 pm
Ben Thanh Market is located in the heart of District 1 and is one of the most famous places to visit in Ho Chi Minh City. It offers a wide range of goods, from clothing to souvenirs and local cuisine.
Visitors can enjoy bargaining with the vendors, trying out Sai Gon Cuisine, and immersing in the local culture. There is no entrance fee, and the prices are relatively reasonable. Don't forget to try the famous Vietnamese coffee and pho while you're here.
2. Saigon Central Post Office – A great choice for day trips in Ho Chi Minh City
- Location: 125 Paris Commune, Ben Nghe, District 1
- Opening hours: 8 am - 5 pm
Saigon Central Post Office is a beautiful colonial building that is still functioning as a post office today. It was built in the late 19th century and has become a symbol of the city's history and architecture. Designed by Gustave Eiffel, the architect behind the Eiffel Tower, the building is a fine example of French colonial architecture in Vietnam.
The post office offers various services, such as mail, money transfer, and telecommunication. Inside, you can admire the ornate details of the building, send postcards home, and even take a photo with the statue of Ho Chi Minh. The entrance is free, but you may have to pay for some of the services.
3. Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral – A must-visit place in Ho Chi Minh City
- Location: No. 1 Paris Commune, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1
- Opening hours: 8 am - 10:30 am and 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm (Monday to Friday)
Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral is another iconic landmark in District 1 and is known for its stunning neo-Romanesque architecture. It was built in the late 19th century with red bricks imported from France and has been a popular tourist attraction ever since.
The twin bell towers reach a height of 58 meters, making it one of the prominent places to visit in Ho Chi Minh city. Mass is held here regularly, and visitors can admire the beautiful stained-glass windows, impressive bell towers, and peaceful atmosphere inside.
4. Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts
- Location: 97A Duc Chinh Street, Nguyen Thai Binh Ward, District 1
- Opening hours: 8 am - 5 pm
- Ticket price: Adults: 30,000 VND, Students with student cards: 15,000 VND
Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts is an impressive building that houses an extensive collection of fine art pieces from Vietnam and around the world. The museum's vast collection comprises more than 21,000 artworks, consisting of traditional paintings, sculptures, and contemporary pieces that depict the city's history and cultural heritage.
The building itself is a work of art, with a mix of French colonial and traditional Vietnamese architectural styles.
Visitors can enjoy the beautiful paintings, sculptures, and installations, as well as the tranquil garden and cafe. Moreover, you can also participate in workshops and art classes to learn more about the techniques and skills used in traditional Vietnamese art here.
5. Independence Palace – One of the best places to visit in Ho Chi Minh City
- Location: 135 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia Street, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1
- Opening hours: 7:30 am - 11:00 am and 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Ticket price: 40.000 VND/adult, 20.000 VND/student, and 10.000 VND/child
Independence Palace, also known as Reunification Palace, is a historic building located in District 1. It was the residence and workplace of the President of South Vietnam during the war and has stood witness to many significant events in the country's history.
The palace has been preserved in its original state, with period furnishings and decorations, offering visitors a glimpse into the country's turbulent history. The underground command center and the rooftop helipad are also open to the public. Therefore, visitors can explore the various rooms, such as the presidential office, the war room, and the banquet hall, and learn about the political and cultural context of the time.
6. War Remnants Museum
- Location: 28 Vo Van Tan, Ward 6, District 3
- Opening hours: 7:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Ticket price: 40,000 VND/adult, free for children under 6
Saigon War Remnants Museum is among the major places to visit in Ho Chi Minh city for history enthusiasts. The museum is a sobering reminder of the Vietnam War, highlighting the devastating impact it had on Vietnamese people.
The exhibits include graphic photographs, artifacts, and military equipment from the war. One of the most significant exhibits is the "Requiem" photo gallery, displaying powerful black-and-white photos taken by photojournalists who lost their lives during the war.
Despite its name, the museum doesn't only cover the Vietnam War, it also sheds light on the post-war period, including the struggles of Vietnamese people to rebuild their lives and the ongoing impact of Agent Orange on future generations. Visiting the museum is an emotional and thought-provoking experience, giving visitors a glimpse into the harsh reality of the war and its aftermath.
The museum also offers guided tours in English, French, and Vietnamese, providing visitors with a deeper understanding of the exhibits and Vietnam's history.
7. Where to go in Ho Chi Minh City? – Nguyen Hue Street
- Location: Nguyen Hue Street, District 1
- Opening hours: All day
Nguyen Hue Street is a pedestrianized street located in the heart of the city. It stretches from City Hall to the Saigon River, offering a picturesque view of the city's skyline. The pedestrian-only street is perfect for a leisurely stroll or people-watching.
The street is lined with shops, restaurants, and cafes, making it an excellent place to enjoy the local vibe and lifestyle. On weekends, the street becomes even more vibrant with street performers and vendors selling souvenirs.
8. Ho Chi Minh City Opera House
- Location: 7 Lam Son Cong Truong Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1
- Opening hours: 9:00 am – 4:30 pm (weekdays) and 9:00 am – 12:00 pm (weekends)
- Ticket price: About 700,000 VND/person depending on events
Ho Chi Minh City Opera House is a stunning building that was modeled after the Opera Garnier in Paris. It is among the chosen places to visit in Ho Chi Minh city for those interested in the arts and architecture.
Built in 1897 by French architect Ferret Eugene, it served as a cultural center for the French colonialists. Today, it is a popular venue for a variety of live performances and concerts, from classical music to contemporary dance, featuring both Vietnamese and international artists. The building is an architectural marvel with ornate details and a grand façade, making it a perfect place to take stunning photographs and among the famous places to visit in Ho Chi Minh city.
9. Landmark 81 Vietnam – Among the amazing places to see in Ho Chi Minh City
- Location: 720A Dien Bien Phu, Binh Thanh District
- Opening hours: 9:30 am - 10 pm
- Ticket price:
- On weekdays: 300,000 VND/adult; 150,000 VND/child or elderly
- On weekends: 500,000 VND/adult; 250,000 VND/child or elderly
- 200,000 VND/student
Standing at 461 meters tall, Landmark 81 Vietnam is the tallest building in Vietnam and the 14th tallest in the world. It is located in the Vinhomes Central Park development in Binh Thanh district and offers stunning panoramic views of the city. The observation deck is located on the 79th floor and is accessible via a high-speed elevator.
Visitors can also explore the shopping mall, cinema, food court, and indoor ice-skating rink located within the building.
10. History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City
- Location: 2 Nguyen Binh Khiem Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1
- Opening hours: 8:00 am – 11:30 am and 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm (From Tuesday to Sunday)
- Ticket price: 30.000 VND/person
History Museum of Ho Chi Minh City is the perfect place to explore the city's rich history and culture. The museum has over 40,000 artifacts and documents on display, showcasing the city's evolution from prehistoric times to the present day. It is housed in a beautiful French colonial building and contains exhibits that highlight the city's culture, architecture, and development over time.
Here at one of the most favored places to visit in Ho Chi Minh city, visitors can view ancient ceramics, traditional costumes, and wartime memorabilia. The highlight of the museum is the 5,000-year-old mummy of a young girl found in Saigon.
11. Places to visit in Ho Chi Minh City – Saigon Zoo and Botanical Garden
- Location: 2 Nguyen Binh Khiem Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1
- Opening hours: 7:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Ticket price: 60,000 VND/person over 1.3m tall, 40,000 VND/person from 1 to 1.3m tall, free for children under 1m
Saigon Zoo and Botanical Garden is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Established in 1865, the Saigon Zoo and Botanical Garden is one of the oldest zoos in the world.
The zoo is home to over 1,300 animals, including rare and endangered species such as tigers, elephants, and primates. Visitors can also explore the botanical garden, which features over 1,800 plant species and flowers. It is a great place to bring the family for a day of fun and education.
Besides the top places to visit in Ho Chi Minh city mentioned above, Vietnam has many other exciting attractions such as Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, and more. To ensure that you have the best experience, it is recommended that you plan your stay in advance.
To make your trip even more enjoyable, consider staying at one of Vinpearl's luxurious hotels or resorts. Vinpearl is the top-rated brand of accommodation with high-class services in Vietnam, which has facilities in some of Vietnam's most popular tourist destinations.
- Located on the idyllic Phu Quoc Island, Vinpearl Phu Quoc offers a variety of accommodation options, including rooms, and villas, all equipped with modern amenities. Guests can also indulge in a range of culinary delights at the resort's restaurants, which offer a mix of international and Vietnamese cuisine.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang is situated on the beautiful Nha Trang Bay. The resorts offer luxurious accommodation, private beach, and stunning views of the bay. Various room types are available, including villas with private pools.
- Located near the ancient town of Hoi An, Vinpearl Hoi An is a luxurious 5-star resort surrounded by lush greenery and tranquil rivers. All accommodation options here, including villas with private pools. Immerse yourself with nature and enjoy a variety of activities, from swimming and cycling to cooking classes and spa treatments here.
- Situated on the beautiful Non Nuoc Beach, Vinpearl Da Nang features luxurious amenities: private beach, swimming pools, spa, and fitness center. The resort offers a total of 112 villas with breathtaking ocean views, elegantly designed to create a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere for guests.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Da Nang now to enjoy 5-star facilities and services on your trip to Vietnam!
Ho Chi Minh City is a vibrant and bustling destination that has a lot to offer visitors. From its historic landmarks like the Notre Dame Cathedral and Independence Palace to its modern shopping centers and entertainment complexes like Landmark 81, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Whether you're interested in history, culture, food, or shopping, you won't be disappointed by the wide variety of places to visit in Ho Chi Minh city. So come here and explore this vibrant city yourself!
>>> If you're planning to visit other destinations in Vietnam, be sure to book voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang to grab the BEST deals and book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Da Nang to have a truly unforgettable vacation experience!