During your trip in Ho Chi Minh City, besides exploring numerous splendid attractions and enjoying delicious local specialties, you should not miss out on an opportunity to visit Ho Chi Minh City Opera House. Coming here, you can not only admire the architectural features of a bygone era but also enjoy numerous excellent performances.
1. Ho Chi Minh City Opera House at a glance
Ho Chi Minh City Opera House is situated at No. 7, Cong Truong Lam Son Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City. Having a prime location in the heart of the city, Saigon Opera House is close to many symbolic attractions, including the Central Post Office, Notre-Dame Cathedral, etc.
- Brief history
- In 1898, the French decided to build a theater to serve French soldiers during the war in Southern Vietnam.
- On January 17th, 1900: The inaugural performance at the Opera House was given by French artists and performers
- On November 18th, 1918: The first Vietnamese show was performed at the Opera House
- From 1945 to 1955: After being closed during World War II, the Opera House reopened in 1955
- In May, 1975: The theater is officially named Ho Chi Minh Opera House
2. The outstanding architecture of Ho Chi Minh City Opera House
Covering an area of 3,200 square meters, Saigon Opera House was constructed in 1898 by French architect Eugene Ferret in a "flamboyant" style of the Third Republic of France. The facade of Ho Chi Minh City Opera House is extremely appealing, with three huge doors and stone-carved statues of two women following the style of Greek Caryatids of Erechtheion. In order to reduce road noise, the theater was designed to be two meters higher than the ground and have two layers of doors. The granite used to construct the theater and the furniture were all imported from France.
3. Saigon Opera House ticket price and opening hours
There are no fixed opening hours and ticket price at Saigon Opera House, as this theater is only accessible to the general public during events and performances. Ticket prices vary greatly from 200,000 to 2,000,000 VND, depending on the event, time, and seat class. For detailed information, it is recommended that you visit the website of Lune Production.
4. The top 3 most excellent Ho Chi Minh City Opera House shows
Coming to Saigon Opera House, tourists will have the opportunity to enjoy numerous kinds of performances, from classical concerts, opera galas to Vietnamese traditional and modern dances. The three most popular shows are A O, The Mist, and Teh Dar.
4.1. A O Show
A O Show offers audiences the opportunity to enjoy a perfect combination of theatrical visual art, contemporary dance, traditional Vietnamese music, acrobatic acts, and bamboo circus performances. The name of the show is inspired by the sound "A" referring to a village and "O" referring to a city. As its name suggests, the show presents the contrasts between the rural and urban life of Vietnamese people.
4.2. The Mist Show
The Mist Show gives audiences a greater insight into the daily life of hard-working Vietnamese farmers. The show honors the farmers' efforts and struggles in growing rice on humble muddy soil. The actors and actresses will perform neoclassical and modern dances to show the day and life of the farmers from dawn till dusk.
4.3. Teh Dar Show
Teh Dar Show is a popular Vietnamese bamboo circus show that tells untold stories about the life of Vietnamese highlanders. The costumes of the actors and actresses feature two typical colors - red and black. The actors wear loincloths, while the actresses wear short skirts with embroidered patterns of nature.
5. How to get to Ho Chi Minh City Opera House?
Situated in the center of Ho Chi Minh City, Ho Chi Minh Opera House can be easily reached from any part of the city. There are numerous means of transportation that tourists can choose from to move to this attraction, among which the three most popular are bus, taxi, and motorbike. If you want to take the bus, you can catch buses number 03, 19, 45, which all pass by Ho Chi Minh City Opera House. If you use personal vehicles, you can park them in the parking area of the theater.
Besides Ho Chi Minh City Opera House, you should also visit other tourist attractions in Saigon, such as War Remnants Museum, Independence Palace, Jade Emperor Pagoda, Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral, etc.
In addition to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam has a lot of attractive destinations like Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, etc. For each place that you plan to go to in Vietnam, you should consider where to stay in advance to have the best experience. Among a wide variety of available accommodations, it is highly recommended that you stay at the hotel and resort system of Vinpearl - the top-rated brand of accommodation with top-notch services in Vietnam, located in most touristy destinations:
- If you are going to spend your vacation on Phu Quoc pearl island, the elegant and all-inclusive hotels and resorts of Vinpearl Phu Quoc are ideal places to stay. At Vinpearl Phu Quoc, you have the opportunity to experience world-class accommodation and all sorts of amenities, such as outdoor swimming pools, children's playgrounds, babysitting services, restaurants, bars, gyms, and so on.
- It is suggested that you stay in Vinpearl Nha Trang hotels and resorts when visiting the beautiful seaside city of Nha Trang. They are great destinations for people looking to relax and escape the hustle and bustle of daily life. Vinpearl Nha Trang resorts provide comfortable rooms with expansive views of Nha Trang Bay.
- In Hoi An, it is advised that you stay at the two properties of Vinpearl Hoi An - Nam Hoi An, which are Vinpearl Resort & Spa Hoi An and Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An, to experience top-notch services and high-quality facilities. Vinpearl Resort & Spa Hoi provides visitors with luxurious hotel rooms and villas designed in Mediterranean architecture, along with a plethora of high-end services. Meanwhile, Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An is a work of art that combines modern architecture and natural beauty.
- You can choose Vinpearl Da Nang for the greatest lodging experience on your trip to Da Nang. Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang is situated near the beautiful Non Nuoc Beach. With 122 neoclassical-style villas surrounded by flowers, this place is like a quiet oasis nestled amidst the sea, mountains, and lakes.
Ho Chi Minh City Opera House, one of the most iconic symbols of Ho Chi Minh City, is a must-visit Ho Chi Minh tourist attraction for those who are fond of French architecture and want to enjoy special performances. If you are planning a trip to Vietnam's beautiful Ho Chi Minh City, make sure to include this location in your itinerary!