Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street is a bustling area in central Hanoi that should not be missed out on during your Hanoi travel. The streets around Hoan Kiem Lake are closed off to vehicles every weekend, allowing visitors to stroll around and experience the energy and excitement here.
1. Where is Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street? How to get there?
Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street is a popular destination in Hanoi, Vietnam, known for its bustling atmosphere and diverse exciting activities. Stretching around Hoan Kiem Lake, the cluster of these streets: Dinh Le, Nguyen Xi, Trang Tien, Dinh Tien Hoang, Hang Khay, Le Thai To, Le Lai, Le Thach, Tran Nguyen Han, Lo Su, Hang Dau, Ho Hoan Kiem, Bao Khanh, Hang Bai, Luong Van Can will be transformed into a pedestrian zone on the weekends.
As it is located in the center of Hanoi city, visitors can easily reach Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street by various means of transportation. It is recommended to get here by bus or motorbike for a more convenient trip.
- By motorbike: Take the route Cau Giay - Kim Ma - Nguyen Thai Hoc - Hang Bong streets and you will find the bustling pedestrian zone around Hoan Kiem Lake. Here, park your vehicle and take a stroll around.
- By bus: There are several bus routes with different bus stops near the walking street Hanoi: 08, 09, 14, 36, 03, 11, 14, 22, 18, 34, 40, 31, 86.
2. What to do at Hoan Kiem Walking Street Hanoi?
Hanoi walking street is famous for a variety of exciting and unique activities. Here are some must-do activities that visitors can enjoy while strolling around Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street:
2.1. Partake in Vietnamese folk games
One of the most interesting things to do in Hanoi is play traditional folk games at Hoan Kiem Walking Street. This is a great way to connect with the local community.
Wandering along the street, you will find many popular games that attract young people to join in and have fun, such as O An Quan (or ‘mandarin square capturing’, a game where players try to capture their opponent’s pieces), rope jumping, tug-of-war, and shuttlecock kicking.
2.2. Enjoy street performances
Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street is a popular destination for not only traditional games but also street performances. On weekends, there are many talented musicians, dancers, and even magicians showing their skills and entertaining the crowds here. The performances are diverse, ranging from classical Vietnamese music to modern pop songs and dances.
2.3. Have your portrait drawn by a street artist
Many talented street artists can be found sitting along the sidewalks around Hoan Kiem Lake. They utilize many art mediums, such as charcoal or watercolors, to create beautiful and realistic portraits. Getting your portrait drawn is a great way to capture the special moment of your trip to Hanoi. The portrait is created just for you, and it is also a chance to interact with the local artists and learn more about their craft.
2.4. Explore famous tourist spots nearby
Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street is enveloped by a plethora of captivating tourist attractions that are definitely worth exploring.
Nearby, you will find St. Joseph’s Cathedral, an iconic Hanoi landmark boasting breathtaking neo-gothic architecture and magnificent stained glass windows, providing a serene escape from the city's hustle and bustle.
For those seeking vibrant nightlife, Ta Hien Street offers a bustling atmosphere with numerous bars and restaurants serving delectable street food and beer, attracting both locals and tourists alike.
Turtle Tower, situated on a small islet in the middle of Hoan Kiem Lake, may be admired from a distance during a leisurely stroll around the lake, especially enchanting when illuminated at night.
Crossing the red wooden bridge to the Ngoc Son Temple, reveals lush greenery and ancient artifacts, making it one of Hanoi's most iconic and visited temples.
3. What to eat in Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street?
Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street is home to many street food vendors and restaurants offering a variety of delicious Vietnamese dishes. Here are some must-try foods in this area:
- Trang Tien ice cream and sweet soup is a famous dessert to try after a long day exploring the city. You can find different flavors of Vietnamese traditional sweet soup and ice cream on Trang Tien Street.
- Iced tea and sunflower seeds: Drinking iced tea (or tra da in Vietnamese) seems to be a “tradition” in Hanoi. So, seat yourself on a little stool on the sidewalk and order a cool glass of iced tea and a tray of sunflower seeds like a Hanoian.
- Vietnamese fruit beams are the most popular cooling food on hot summer days. You can take a quick stroll to To Tich Street to try this famous food at the famous Hoa Beo shop.
- Cafe: Don't forget to try egg coffee (or ca phe trung) - a special drink made with egg yolks, condensed milk, sugar, and Vietnamese coffee.
4. Quick tips for visiting Hoan Kiem Walking Street in Vietnam
- Opening hours: 7 PM on Friday - Sunday midnight.
- Park your vehicles at one of the parking lots located on various streets such as Hai Ba Trung, Ly Thai To, Ngo Quyen, Quang Trung, Le Phung Hieu, etc.
- Hanoi night market (along Hang Ngang and Hang Dao streets) offers a variety of cheap and unique items if you want to shop for souvenirs for your loved ones.
- Always ask for the prices before using any service or buying any goods.
- Wear comfortable clothes for mobility.
In addition to Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street, Hanoi is home to many other breathtaking landmarks, historical sites, and entertainment complexes. If you are looking for a perfect destination for a family outing in Hanoi, VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium are worth a visit.
While Vinpearl Aquarium offers a mesmerizing underwater world waiting to be explored, VinKE is an interactive entertainment and education complex to both keep children entertained and develop their skills.
>>> Book tickets of VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium for a fun-filled day out with your loved ones!
Whether you are interested in shopping for souvenirs, trying the local delicacies, or simply enjoying the vibrant culture of Hanoi, Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street is a place you should not miss out on. With its bustling atmosphere, variety of street food, and numerous entertainment options, you will have an opportunity to connect with the local community and gain deeper insights into the city’s rich history and culture. Visiting this amazing destination will definitely be a memorable experience when you travel to Vietnam.
Besides the bustling Hanoi, Vietnam is filled with a diverse range of other tourist cities that draw millions of visitors every year, such as Hoi An, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Phu Quoc, and Ha Long. These destinations will amaze you with stunning scenery and many exciting activities.
If you are planning to explore these destinations, it is recommended to book your accommodation in advance to find the one that best suits your needs and preferences. Notably, Vinpearl hotels and resorts are perfect spots for those who love to indulge in a luxurious stay. This superb hotel chain will delight you with exceptional services, top-notch amenities, and various dining options catering to guests of all tastes.